Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
Tipping is a ridiculous system. I think it's disgusting guilting customers into paying companies' employee's wages. When I order a service or product, I expect to be paying for everything. I don't expect to then have to pay extra for their employee's service.

Plez dud dont be cheap n give the man some bucks..Thiz world has a lot of stingy penny pinchers u know what i mean?? Always give big tips amigo. I always smoke cigarettes on my Uber rides so i wanna tip drivers cause all the trouble.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Tipping is more of a personal reward for good service to the person rather than the company/employer. It tells a person “your service was great, here’s an extra reward”.

In reality though, it's more like saying, "your service wasn't completely terrible, here's the other half of your pay."

Reactions: Peter K.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
@afinelion that's fine, for the uber drivers who give good service. A lot of drivers abuse the system.

I was banned after my first uber ride. Long story short, he showed up late, took the longest route he possibly could, the taxi stank, and he made a sarcy comment because I didn't tip him.

I gave a low rating - I was being honest. Not long after I got a message saying that I'd been banned from the service for "racial abuse". I didn't say a word to him the entire trip other than "hey" and "thanks" - it seems to be a loophole that reporting a passenger for racial abuse is an easy way to get rid of a 1 star review.

afinelion

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
I gave a low rating - I was being honest. Not long after I got a message saying that I'd been banned from the service for "racial abuse". I didn't say a word to him the entire trip other than "hey" and "thanks" - it seems to be a loophole that reporting a passenger for racial abuse is an easy way to get rid of a 1 star review.

Last edited:
Reactions: saudade

robert4u

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Tipping is more of a personal reward for good service to the person rather than the company/employer. It tells a person “your service was great, here’s an extra reward”.

I totally agree, its not for encouraging employers not to pay good. It also encourages the driver/employee to perform well to get good tip.

afinelion

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
@afinelion that's fine, for the uber drivers who give good service. A lot of drivers abuse the system.

I was banned after my first uber ride. Long story short, he showed up late, took the longest route he possibly could, the taxi stank, and he made a sarcy comment because I didn't tip him.

Last edited:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
With Lyft, is the tipping anonymous? Because as a few people have mentioned, if the driver can see if you've tipped or not, it'll badly affect your rating as a rider. I'm happy to tip for good service, but equally ONLY if it is good service. If Uber drivers can see if you've tipped or not, and thus rate accordingly, I'll move to a different taxi service.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
* goes on a rant about why tipping sucks ... is shocked that people assume he doesn't like tipping *

no, you're misunderstanding this. it's more like:

* goes on a rant about why tipping sucks...is shocked that people assume i don't tip at all*

re-read and try again.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
No I think what I said works fine.

no, your original reply assumes i "won't tip"

i never said i wont tip. i said i want tipping to be banned. there's a difference.

now your second reply says im "shocked that people assume i dont like tipping"

im not shocked about that. i assume people think i dont like tipping already.

see the difference?

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
no, your original reply assumes i "won't tip"

i never said i wont tip. i said i want tipping to be banned. there's a difference.

now your second reply says im "shocked that people assume i dont like tipping"

im not shocked about that. i assume people think i dont like tipping already.

see the difference?
You want tipping to be banned, but you wanted people to assume you tip? Sorry, I don't see your logic. Anyway, carry on.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
You want tipping to be banned, but you wanted people to assume you tip? Sorry, I don't see your logic. Anyway, carry on.

no, the point is, don't assume. otherwise you'll just make yourself look stupid. ask a question if you dont know the facts

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
no, the point is, don't assume. otherwise you'll just make yourself look stupid. ask a question if you dont know the facts
I didn't make myself look stupid. You said you think tipping should be banned and are then surprised by the responses to such a statement. Next time maybe expand on what you mean when you make such a vague and brazen comment.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
I didn't make myself look stupid. You said you think tipping should be banned and are then surprised by the responses to such a statement. Next time maybe expand on what you mean when you make such a vague and brazen statement.

no, im surprised that someone assumes i dont tip because i want tipping banned.

similarly: i think private health insurance companies should be banned in usa. do you immediately assume i dont have private healthcare? if you do, you look like an idiot.

feel free to respond but im not going to read your reply. seems like you're having too much trouble understanding this and im not going to spend anymore time helping you out.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
no, im surprised that someone assumes i dont tip because i want tipping banned.

similarly: i think private health insurance companies should be banned in usa. do you immediately assume i dont have private healthcare? if you do, you look like an idiot.

feel free to respond but im not going to read your reply. seems like you're having too much trouble understanding this and im not going to spend anymore time helping you out.
Have fun with that.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I think this is a good change. I like to tip drivers that provided good service, but I don't want the hassle of cash. This seems like a convenient way to do it.

BTW, to my knowledge Uber drivers can only rate you right after the trip (any Uber drivers correct me if I'm wrong), while you can rate and tip the driver later. If you're worried about "revenge ratings", just wait a while before rating (and not tipping) them.

I have never tipped them with cash so far and have a straight 5.0 rating (although admittedly I don't use them very often). Just be polite, don't mess up their car, and don't waste their time by letting them wait at pickup.

This is spot on. I recently started driving for Lyft and Uber in my spare time and have enjoyed the experience with both. You cannot get another trip request until you have completed the Drop Off and Rating of the current rider.

I do realize there are some bad apples out there giving 4 stars to people not tipping, but that isn't going to get worse with the new app. In fact, it should get better. Most drivers will do an actual rating on the customer as they won't be sure if they got a tip right away or not as the app won't let them see the trip bill or get another ride until they do the rating.

Also, I had my head in the sand about both of them until two weeks ago, because they only returned to Austin on Memorial Day. What I do know is that both have rolled out new driver apps that some of the "old schoolers" have resisted using. I don't understand this as I find both apps to be good, but Uber's is clearly superior. It works great.

As for tipping in general...

I don't like it either. I want to give a tip for exceptional service, not average service. If the car is clean, the driver is prompt, and we get there safely, that's good service and I might tip a dollar and I might not. However, if the driver is courteous, polite, talkative, has an exceptionally clean newer vehicle, I will tip a lot more.

This has been the case with me. I am a professional engineer by day and a very outgoing, talkative person in the car. When an UberX passenger sees me roll up in a 2013 Lexus that you can eat off any surface of, they have a great experience and many tip me and compliment the car without it even being suggested.

EDIT: And to be clear... if a passenger doesn't stink, doesn't keep me waiting, and doesn't do anything negative to my car, they get 5 stars. They don't have to talk, they don't have to look good, they don't have to even be "nice".

If they are prompt and don't stink up or mess up my car... 5 stars. Drivers doing otherwise damage their own reputability in my opinion.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Well I guess the tipping issue will be interesting to see. Going over the forums at Uber, a lot of the drivers like to give their passengers a single star if the ride is under $10.00.

That is one reason I liked Uber. I didn't have to tip and there was no mechanism in place to tip. So there was no pressure from either the app or person for a tip.

I am curious to see how this plays out. I can see something along the lines of a lot of low ratings coming in for passengers all of sudden because they didn't tip and then folks are banished because they have low ratings.

Uber is also instituting a wait penalty for those who make the Uber driver wait or if they give a bad location. The penalty starts after two minutes. Wonder if this will be abused by the drivers as a way to increase the amount of money they will be able to collect.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Well I guess the tipping issue will be interesting to see. Going over the forums at Uber, a lot of the drivers like to give their passengers a single star if the ride is under $10.00.

1 star rating just because my trip is short? Savage; especially since the main usefulness of uber in my opinion is to use it as a last mile service from transit stations.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
1 star rating just because my trip is short? Savage; especially since the main usefulness of uber in my opinion is to use it as a last mile service from transit stations.

Boy it is an eye opener reading some of the comments on their forum along with other forums that cater to uber drivers etc. Not saying all think this way, but there are a handful.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas

Boy it is an eye opener reading some of the comments on their forum along with other forums that cater to uber drivers etc. Not saying all think this way, but there are a handful.

I wouldn't let a forum of angry Uber drivers affect your opinion of the service anymore than you let the people in here affect your perception of Apple. The vocal minority are what you will always see in forums like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.