Ugh, Christmas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steve2112, Nov 1, 2011.

1. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

One day after Halloween and the Christmas blitz has already started. I stopped by Walgreen's to pick up a few things after work, and they already had Christmas stuff out. Then I get home, flip on the TV, and Christmas ads are already popping up. Ugh. I want to just go hibernate in a cave until Dec 26.

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Dude, I was in a store over a month ago that already had fully-stocked Christmas sections. It was mid-September!! I think it was a Target. And another friend of mine posted a full-blown store display from another store about a month ago.

It's sort of ridiculous.

3. d0ster macrumors regular

Early bird catches the worm! Lol seriously though it is a little early.

4. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Only sort of??? I was thinking off the deep end.

I don't know what's worse...the ad blitz or being forced to spend time with my family during holidays. :D

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, it's pretty early to start this stuff. I still like the holiday spirit though. Now only if the weather would cooperate :mad:

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'm with ya. Scrooges of the world unite! Bah....HUMBUG!!!

8. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

yep, christmas stuff all over around here...

personally I don't want to see christmas stuff until there is snow on the ground lol...

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Then you'd never see it in california!

Christmas stuff has been getting deployed around the end of October in my corner of the world for as long as I can remember! It'd be cool if they started at Thanksgiving, but I don't really care.

Think about the pros: Within a week of Christmas, most stores already have the decorations on clearance. If you want to buy lots of decorations you just wait till the last week or two.. and there you go!

Otherwise the big deal is what? It tends to sit in the back corner of the store, with some random things about the store otherwise. Last I checked, you didn't get ganged by little elves when you enter a commercial space ordering you to say MERRY CHRISTMAS! the day after halloween XD

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I rather like it. There's a slow build up here. The Christmas lights have been put up around town, and some single bulb things have been switched on. Next month we'll have the strings of lights and posters up. Love it :).

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As per correct tradition Christmas decorations should be put up on the 24th of December, not before, and taken down on the 12th night (5th January).

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well aren't you just an Encyclopedia Britannica?

13. anotonin macrumors member

Have yourself a Merry, little Christmas
    Let your heart be light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYGtYunJus

Come on, Steve only needs some Christmas cheer. Let's post Christmas carols for him. :)

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Screw tradition, I like my fingers to remain firmly affixed to my hands. Lights go up early in November (might even do them this week) while we still have temperatures above the freezing point during the day.

I'm quite happy about Christmas stuff showing up, I just love the season and everything around the holidays, it gives that nice buzz to everything and everyone. Can't wait to go shopping for all my decorations (we had a flood this summer and everything is ruined, so I get to buy it all again! :D ).

15. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Christmas music is one of the biggest reasons I hate Christmas creep. Two months of being blasted with Christmas carols is enough to make me want to start smashing stereo speakers everywhere. It's the same stuff over and over, and it's everywhere. I do like some Christmas music, including a couple of albums called Merry Axemas V1&2 (various guitarists doing their take on carols) and some TSO stuff (yes, they are cheesy. I still like 'em), but hearing the same old songs in the same old way drives me bonkers.

16. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

No festive shopping for me, everyone's getting itunes or amazon vouchers.
    They can buy their own socks.

Keep it simple, and keep your head down.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know isn't it great. I'm so amped up for Christmas. :D

Of course I have kids and its a wonderful time of year. I'm already prepping my iPhone with Christmas music.

Yes, I know I'm not normal :p

18. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I believe it is, "The early worm gets the bird" Right??:

19. MorphingDragon, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

In New Zealand we usually put Decorations up at the beginning of December.

Any earlier and you're a foreigner.

Eh, I'm indifferent about Christmas. My family is more traditional, we usually just have a family dinner. Hell, my sister and I haven't given each other presents for a good few years now. For her wedding, I'm painting her a painting.

You know, there's a reason why you don't leave a running bath unattended.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I honestly don't get all the hate over Christmas. I can't fathom why it's so offensive to see Christmas decorations - people DO buy them, after all. I mean, I could understand if Christmas was about kicking puppies or something, but it's meant to be a happy time of year for most people.

I've always started putting up our Christmas decorations the weekend following Thanksgiving, and that's when I put the Christmas music back on my iPod.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I find Christmas decorations offensive before Thanksgiving and after January 5th or so. :D

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Exactly. It's not Christmas that's offensive. It's the spread of Christmas towards summer that is.

I mean as an Atheist I suppose I do find the celebration of a fictional character's supposed birth quite offensive. Especially as it's not even on the correct date but on a date chosen to stomp on a pre-existing festival. But I certainly don't let it get in the way of eating, drinking and being merry at the appropriate time.

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Since I'm currently managing the restaurant I work in, I won't be participating in Christmas this year. May as well see it as a great opportunity to save up some £.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Many people put their decorations up starting around Thanksgiving. It's not unreasonable to want to purchase them before then.

Some people also buy Christmas gifts for others. Seeing the decorations in the stores puts some people in the shopping mood, boosting sales and further stimulating the already struggling economy. :D

25. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

The store I work in has had it's Christmas stuff, like Advent Calendars, Wrapping Paper, Cards, Decorations and Christmas food out since September 2nd/3rd.

I'm the guy that gets to pick where it all goes, then tells people to put it there. ;-)

It was right next to the end of summer BBQ stuff and the Back to School stuff!

Attached Files: