Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Weather181123.jpg

It's getting colder. But still pretty ok to bike around the city.
Not much snow yet.
But winter-tires will be on as soon the bikestore gets them in.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I checked my weather station and this morning it got down to 5 degrees. It was warmer in February where the coldest temperature for the month the 7.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I missed the below-zero plunge around here by going upstate for the holiday, and up there it dropped off only to around 6 degrees. From neighbors I understand that down here it was forecast to be -3 but as usual was around ten degrees colder than that. So I guess I missed a -13ºF low, which is anomalous for November. Don't see that until January most years. So weird that by tomorrow it's supposed to get up almost to 40º.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I missed the below-zero plunge around here by going upstate for the holiday, and up there it dropped off only to around 6 degrees. From neighbors I understand that down here it was forecast to be -3 but as usual was around ten degrees colder than that. So I guess I missed a -13ºF low, which is anomalous for November. Don't see that until January most years. So weird that by tomorrow it's supposed to get up almost to 40º.

I, perhaps mistakenly, read that global warming will cause colder temperatures and more snow in the NE

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Capital Region, NY.

There was a spot to our West (Old Forge) that had a low of -26 this week, IN NOVEMBER! That's January weather!

Right. So this year.... :eek: January and February should be really interesting. Battery-testing weather for cars on some of those mornings.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Right. So this year.... :eek: January and February should be really interesting. Battery-testing weather for cars on some of those mornings.

Yup, good thing my car got a new battery last year, primarily out of an abundance of caution with a 6.5 year-old vehicle with the original battery.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yup, good thing my car got a new battery last year, primarily out of an abundance of caution with a 6.5 year-old vehicle with the original battery.

Well my car's 18 years old but the batt's about 3.5 I think... still I always park facing out of the T in my driveway towards the main drive in winter, in case I need a jump start at some point. So far so good... but didn't expect to be testing it quite this early.

Looks like we are dodging an icy flood situation here, at first they forecast up to 3" rain and then a drop off in temperatures again after this little lull in the high 30s, but now they're saying just an inch or so and might be snow anyway. All the rivers are topped off around here already so for once we'd rather see it stay cold if it's going to snow again very soon. Still it all seems too soon. Sometimes we've spent Thanksgivings with screens in the kitchen windows during a lingering Indian summer. No such luck this year.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Well my car's 18 years old but the batt's about 3.5 I think... still I always park facing out of the T in my driveway towards the main drive in winter, in case I need a jump start at some point. So far so good... but didn't expect to be testing it quite this early.

Looks like we are dodging an icy flood situation here, at first they forecast up to 3" rain and then a drop off in temperatures again after this little lull in the high 30s, but now they're saying just an inch or so and might be snow anyway. All the rivers are topped off around here already so for once we'd rather see it stay cold if it's going to snow again very soon. Still it all seems too soon. Sometimes we've spent Thanksgivings with screens in the kitchen windows during a lingering Indian summer. No such luck this year.
18 years. Wow. What kind of car and how many miles do you have on it?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
2000 Chevy Prizm. It's that hybrid Toyota Chevy they made for a little while out in Fremont CA. Only about 95k miles. Previous owner just drove it from a suburb of Syracuse into the city for work part time, and took nice care of it for five years. I got it well after I quit commuting to NYC a couple times a week, so have put far fewer miles on it than when I was running back and forth downstate all the while. It has held up great, only now starting to get a few iron worms.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Looks like a cold snap is headed our way late next week. Looks like I'm spending most of my time tomorrow and later this week prepping our trees and bushes, among other plants.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I don't know what the weather is. One day it's in the upper 70's and the next it's in the upper 50's. I don't know if I should get out a coat or a t-shirt. Gahhhh! Is it wrong to want some consistency?

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Was no winter tires in the whole city (or with the suppliers either for that matter) to be found to my bike when I talked to the bikeshop this morning.
I knew I had some old tires in the basement somewhere that I had to old bikes.

As it turned out, I had 2 pairs that both would've been good for this bike too.
I got the best pair (probably 10 yrs old, but very good quality) on my new bike.
The other 15 yrs old winter tires had good value obviously, as I got the work done plus a new taillight for these old tires.
And some other customer was happy to at least get fairly good winter tires. High value on those today.
Fun day, and great biking on icy streets :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I don't know what the weather is. One day it's in the upper 70's and the next it's in the upper 50's. I don't know if I should get out a coat or a t-shirt. Gahhhh! Is it wrong to want some consistency?
Keep a coat, jacket or sweater in a closet in your classroom?

Reactions: AlliFlowers

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm from Alaska. We took the harbor cruise to Alcatraz and were the only ones on the boat wearing t-shirts and shorts.

lol, I went to baseball game at AT&T Park in Aug. a few years ago, I ran into 3 other Mets fans, we were the only 4 in the stadium that didn't have a coat on..

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm from Alaska. We took the harbor cruise to Alcatraz and were the only ones on the boat wearing t-shirts and shorts.

lol, I went to baseball game at AT&T Park in Aug. a few years ago, I ran into 3 other Mets fans, we were the only 4 in the stadium that didn't have a coat on..

You adapt. People who come to the coast from the high desert find it awfully cold, even during the summer. In the past, when we went to Aspen or similar skiing places, you'd often see the locals who lived there year round in very light clothing, sometimes even shorts. It blew my mind.

Many years ago I was in the south during the summer and the locals could pick me out from a mile away. Not because of the clearer accent but because I was visibly having trouble with the heat and humidity, whereas they didn't suffer much.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Floridians are a riot when they visit other states in the fall and winter.

I spent 4 years in Wyoming, 7 in Ohio, and a bunch in upstate NY. I used to laugh at people down here, too. I still make fun of them when they think it's snowing and there are only a few flakes.

But your body does change (especially as you age), and what was no problem in my 20s and 30s, is no longer tolerable in my 60s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.