Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
And now it's 73 again. And omg is it gorgeous outside! I told my assistant principal I was suffering from spring fever and needed to go out for about an hour. It was nice just driving around with the window down.

Reactions: Lioness~

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
And now it's 73 again. And omg is it gorgeous outside! I told my assistant principal I was suffering from spring fever and needed to go out for about an hour. It was nice just driving around with the window down.
Get out of the cold thread ;)

I'm not freezing to death with ~40F but....uhmm

Reactions: AlliFlowers

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Time to revive this thread for sure. Just noticed that it's almost 5pm but still plenty light enough outside to see a few deer gathering up at the edge of the woods, waiting for nightfall and what they think is a safer trip down for water (not sure that any drivers along the road here would agree). But joy oh joy of January, it's still light outside at 5pm!! Gotta take yer bliss where ya find it, even if it means we're getting into true winter now.

As the days grow longer, winter grows stronger...
That old weather proverb of the north country is certainly true even around here. Nice to have the daylight returning sooner and lasting longer but the price in the mountains runs to those steep dives in temperature on clear nights. Got up this morning to plenty jack frost on the windows and an outside temp of about 4º F. Yeah. Four. Well, that's January.

The other old saying that starts popping up now is that "spring is just around the corner." That one I can assure you is a crock of wishful thinking. :D

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Been snowing here since last night. Just came in from snow blowing my very long driveway. I did clear out the area around my grill, too. I'll be starting a fire and grilling some steaks in a couple of hours. Never going to let something like snow get in the way of grilling!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Barely cracked freezing today, with lows in the low teens. Talk of snow next weekend.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Time to revive this thread for sure. Just noticed that it's almost 5pm but still plenty light enough outside to see a few deer gathering up at the edge of the woods, waiting for nightfall and what they think is a safer trip down for water (not sure that any drivers along the road here would agree). But joy oh joy of January, it's still light outside at 5pm!! Gotta take yer bliss where ya find it, even if it means we're getting into true winter now.

As the days grow longer, winter grows stronger...
That old weather proverb of the north country is certainly true even around here. Nice to have the daylight returning sooner and lasting longer but the price in the mountains runs to those steep dives in temperature on clear nights. Got up this morning to plenty jack frost on the windows and an outside temp of about 4º F. Yeah. Four. Well, that's January.

The other old saying that starts popping up now is that "spring is just around the corner." That one I can assure you is a crock of wishful thinking. :D
I was literally just looking out the window and thinking the same thing about how nice it is to have sunlight at 5 and how mild the winter has been. It’s real cold the last few days but Jan is practically half over. Spring will be here soon!

Reactions: LizKat

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I was literally just looking out the window and thinking the same thing about how nice it is to have sunlight at 5 and how mild the winter has been. It’s real cold the last few days but Jan is practically half over. Spring will be here soon!
Last year April was worse than February.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Spring will be here soon!

Hah, the optimist... I say it too in Jan but "with quotes around it".... :)
[doublepost=1547331407][/doublepost]

Yes, didn't we have double-decker late nor'easters ? So weird. My plowing bill was impressive enough to make me think twice about my grocery list in May.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
It was crazy cold today. 40 when I dressed for my run, 60s by the time we made it outside. 65 is okay if you are out of the wind.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah but when we get a crazy snow storm in April it’s ok because warm weather and more sun is right around the corner and all the snow soon melts away. When we have it in feb, it just lasts and lasts and gets gross and melts a little during the day and then re freezes at night.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
melts a little during the day and then re freezes at night.

yep I'm not a fan of that for sure. hate that crunchy barrier that can form if I forget to shovel away the little stretch in front of the car after the plow guy's been here, if I don't see him arrive in time to go out and move the car into the main drive so he gets an easy way to clear the T of the drive behind my deck. He does the best he can taking a swipe at what's in front of the car, but has to leave some there else risk tagging the car. It's near to blood sport sometimes the next day trying not to stall out there or skid somewhere I don't wanna go...

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Your over enthusiastic post leads me to believe there's a heavy dose of sarcasm within it.

Why? Lots of us love snow as long as it's a weekend when we don't have to go anywhere past maybe the ski slopes or else just move the car around in the driveway so the guy can plow. I love how it looks freshly fallen, makes the place a wonderland until the salt'n'sanders go by and turn the road edges brown... You're just jealous 'cuz all you ended up with was rain. ;)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Why? Lots of us love snow as long as it's a weekend when we don't have to go anywhere past maybe the ski slopes or else just move the car around in the driveway so the guy can plow. I love how it looks freshly fallen, makes the place a wonderland until the salt'n'sanders go by and turn the road edges brown... You're just jealous 'cuz all you ended up with was rain. ;)

My earlier years were spent around snow. These days, I may long for it for a week or two in a nice skiing place like Deer Valley or Vail, but I'd rather shove my head into the nesting grounds of fire ants or into a hornets' nest if I had to deal with it for months on end.

Though it's been a while since I've done black diamonds.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
My earlier years were spent around snow. These days, I may long for it for a week or two in a nice skiing place like Deer Valley or Vail, but I'd rather shove my head into the nesting grounds of fire ants or into a hornets' nest if I had to deal with it for months on end.

Though it's been a while since I've done black diamonds.

Hah, the way skis and I ever got along, the baby trails should have been marked black diamond.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Hah, the way skis and I ever got along, the baby trails should have been marked black diamond.
Really? They're easy to pick up given enough practice. Snowboarding is tougher. I used to switch off when I was younger, but the latter is too demanding on your body as you get older, because you end up using all of your muscles to keep steady and keep moving in the direction you want to go.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Really? They're easy to pick up given enough practice. Snowboarding is tougher. I used to switch off when I was younger, but the latter is too demanding on your body as you get older, because you end up using all of your muscles to keep steady and keep moving in the direction you want to go.

Yeah well I was the one standing along trail shoulders cheering you on. :D

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Always fun waking up to no power when there are single-digit temps outside. Fortunately I was only awake for about 90 minutes by the time it came back, but it had been out for over an hour before I woke up, the inside temp had dropped 2+ degrees from normal by then.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Welp it's almost time to get the skis out! Love how the weather service kinda glides into it in the forecast...

Forecasters, generally droning on:

Today
Light snow likely before noon. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Saturday
Snow, mainly after 1pm. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Saturday Night
Snow heavy at times. New snow accumulation of around 14 inches.
Me: hello.

Forecasters resume, sneaking in the punchline that suggests the plow crews will be camping out overnight in the town sheds instead of going up to the hills and hollers of home where even a good truck gets stranded sometimes:

Sunday
Snow before 10am. Snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow after 1pm. [they spare us the lecture on how high the drifts]

:D that's how they are on this stuff, yada yada yada and then blam that phrase 14 inches jumps out. More fun to read the forecast discussion where they occasionally show a sense of humor in describing the arcane details of the manner in which Ma Nature plans to show us who's boss yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.