Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
What a disappointment. Every forecast, including the Euro showed at least 8 inches of snow. We got like 2 and a bunch of ice. I know it's not an exact science, but man that's disappointing. Like for once can we just get snow?

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In the span of 3 hours, the temps went from below freezing (around 31 degrees), to 40 degrees back down to 28 degrees.
The snow turned to sleet, to rain and back to sleet. I got out shoveling at 7:00--ish and I was happy I did, not only because I didn't want the rain to make the snow heavy, but now that its freezing, its all turning to ice.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
What a disappointment. Every forecast, including the Euro showed at least 8 inches of snow. We got like 2 and a bunch of ice. I know it's not an exact science, but man that's disappointing. Like for once can we just get snow?

You need to relocate to the southern Finger Lakes or northwestern Catskills of central NY... we got your missing snow stacked up and waiting. :) The freezing rain gradient didn't quite make it up and over to here. So far we've got between 9 and 15 inches snow with 4 more to go before the drifting and blowing kick in, or so they say. It looks like halfhearted snow to me now, though: not much wind but it's shifting per that incoming cold front, so a mountain a bit northwest of here may eventually hold off some of the rest of our local forecast accumulation.

I feel badly for anyone in the watershed of the Hudson that got a lot of the rain component, there are already a few minor flood warnings. Nothing uglier in winter than a flood that snap freezes afterwards. But for people who like to ski or go snowmobiling, this snowdump is going to put smiles on faces once the storm ends and the trails can get some attention.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It was bloody hot yesterday for winter. It was cool at night, but the heat forced us to run the AC until the house cooled down significantly. I went for a run at around 11 AM and I was drenched in sweat by the time I got back. Short trail run near us. I usually don't break anything past a light sheen of moisture during the winter on that trail.

In the span of 3 hours, the temps went from below freezing (around 31 degrees), to 40 degrees back down to 28 degrees.
The snow turned to sleet, to rain and back to sleet. I got out shoveling at 7:00--ish and I was happy I did, not only because I didn't want the rain to make the snow heavy, but now that its freezing, its all turning to ice.
If memory serves me correct, you have a few children. Offload the shoveling to them!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
It was bloody hot yesterday for winter. It was cool at night, but the heat forced us to run the AC until the house cooled down significantly. I went for a run at around 11 AM and I was drenched in sweat by the time I got back. Short trail run near us. I usually don't break anything past a light sheen of moisture during the winter on that trail.

If memory serves me correct, you have a few children. Offload the shoveling to them!

Well even if he does offload it to the nextgen, no one can actually shovel ice from what was a bunch of slush once it sets up.

Tonight here it's 10 below already. Even fluffy snow gets crunchy at those temps. PITA to walk on since it gives way and the top crust saws at your ankles if you're not wearing high boots on the way out to the bird feeders...

Supposed to be another round of roller-coaster temperature changes from Weds-Thurs 40s into next weekend single digits again. Mother Nature playing around with sine curves. :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Well even if he does offload it to the nextgen, no one can actually shovel ice from what was a bunch of slush once it sets up.
When I was a young boy and this happened, my grandfather would go around with a large hammer and shatter said chunks of ice and then have me shovel it. If there is a way, it will be done.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I took care of it whilst they sleptt :)

Well, its a blamy 4 (fahrenheit) degrees this morning, all the snow and sleet that fell yesterday is now virtual cement. I saw some poor soul trying to dig out his car last night as it was plowed in. While there wasn't a lot of accumulation the plows were effecient at encasing his car. Sadly, he waited until 6:00pm, and it was solid as a rock. He was using a spade to try to break through, he had his work cut out for him.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Still -8 here, apparently we are headed for a fun high of zero, not sure we'll make it unless it quits snowing and blowing around. Tonight another subzero plunge. Well at least in retirement I'm not facing a ride back to my city job in a VW bug after a holiday weekend. I am 100% sure that is why winter's one of my favorite seasons now whereas back then maybe not so much, at least for the first 20 miles in that vehicle at those temperatures.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
-16C and going to walk about 5km =)

Brrr...... but it can be invigorating if you're dressed for it. On the relatively few occasions that air temps even approached single digits (F) in NYC, the wind off the Hudson River was brutal... I used to walk backwards sometimes for the last block or so of my journey home from work if I had forgotten to bring along a scarf to wrap my face. I would laugh seeing others do it too. We must have looked to passersby in taxicabs as though we were playing some sort of game.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Seen on the net... captioned "so cold you can see your own tweets"

So cold you can see your own tweets.jpg

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Well, its a blamy 4 (fahrenheit) degrees this morning

2 PM and it hasn't even reached that mark here...

My complex made a pass with the plow at 1:30 AM Sun., didn't come back to do the entire road/parking area where my unit is until 3:30 PM. They're getting an earful when I go to the office to renew, this is the second large storm in a row that this has been the case (had one last year when they didn't clear the entire road until the afternoon the day AFTER the storm was over), I was out for a quick ride in the car (despite the 12"+ of snow, gotta LOVE Subarus) around 10 AM and other roads were fully plowed while mine hadn't had the touch of a plow blade in 9 hours or more, even for a single pass...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
In a blizzard this morning here in Colorado. Lots of roads shut down, those that aren't are ice packed and it is a mess.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Cool, thanks for that.
You're welcome. I'm not sure if it's on Amazon or one of the companies they own, but it was for new units. I saw the deal through one of those deal sites. I suspect the massive price cut is due to them getting ready to push out a new Kindle. You could hold off and see what they release. I doubt they'll stop producing stock anytime soon. You might end up getting a Voyage for cheaper than the current price cut.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We've been 34 at night, 60 during the day. A bit cold.

Well we've been fifteen below zero at night and zero in the day, and now comes a 40ºF day plus an inch and a half of rain. Bad combo... good time to be well upstream in the headwaters of two major river systems is all I can say. Worst thing likely to happen around here is some logjams on a few creeks but downstate it's a mass of flash flood warnings.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just came back from an hour biking in ~22-23˚F / -5˚C Brrrrrr
Hands & feet was more frozen than expected.
Had to check a route.
Enjoying hot warming Chai Tea now.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Hmm... we've just had a record short "January thaw," I guess. Was 44ºF a little while ago, now it's snowing big fat flakes, air temp is 28º so the snowmelt water in the driveway is setting up already and snow sticking on the top of the remaining ten or so inches of snow in the lawn that didn't get a chance to melt. On its way to 20 overnight and then to a forecast of -5 on Friday night. Looks like Canada has resighted its weaponry or gotten bigger arctic airguns. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.