Uh oh, Apple's Safari browser is trailing Froyo's performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reservedegotist, Jul 7, 2010.

1. reservedegotist macrumors regular

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually the engadget article and video seem to show that for the most part, it's a tie. With Flash turned on in the Nexus One, iPhone 4 edges out and loads pages first in most cases, and with Flash turned off, the Nexus One ties or slightly eeks out a win.

The margins are really slim though. But one thing I did notice was that Flash really got in the way of some page renderings on the Nexus One (such as theonion.com).

4. reservedegotist thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah for the most part it's not that different, but it's probably a different story with a newer phone like the Galaxy S / Droid X, who knows?

However, the javascript performance improvements are quite substantial. I'm a big Google Voice user (probably the most "HTML5y" web site I frequent); I'd love to see an improvement in 4.1 in lieu of these benchmarks. Don't get me wrong; I'm fine with the speed now, but there's always room for improvement :)

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Actually, I'd have to tip my hat to the iPhone 4.

In every case the iPhone 4 loaded the brunt of the site first (the text/articles). While the Nexus did "complete" the page first, the iPhone loaded the important parts faster and then took a bit longer to load the ads/margins.

Point is, you can load the page in full faster on the Nexus One. You can browse the web (meaning actually read/use the page) faster on the iPhone.

6. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Those phones both ship with android 2.1, so the Nexus 1 would kick the crap out them atm.

7. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

While I'm a proud owner of N1, this test shows Nexus One and iPhone 4 are undoubtedly the top two phones on the market right now. Competition is good. :)

8. Heyilliteracy macrumors newbie

I like my iPhone 4 as much as the next guy, but if anyone here fails to read the comments on that article, he'd know that the nexus browsing experience is still superior. Why?

It's because engadget is comparing JavaScript rendering to regular web rendering. Two completely different tests. Nexus one is still superior.

9. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

who the hell name's there OS after a dessert.

10. The General macrumors 601

I wouldn't really call it a win for LOLdroid just because the progress bar indicated that it was finished first. The iPhone displayed most of the website way before LOLdroid.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'd much rather browse on my iPhone than the crappy N1. So glad to have sold that POS last week.

12. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Uhhh, I'm not really sure what you mean...

The difference in times is quite negligible. It may show up when using a timer, but our sense of time is extremely inaccurate. You'd have a hard time perceiving a difference of a web page loading in 9 seconds or 10...

Nexus browsing may be technically superior, but the experience aside from flash is indistinguishable in practice...

You also have to realize that no one is going to uninstall flash any time they want to browse sites that don't use it.

No argument that Froyo crushes JavaScript, but most day to day usage sites aren't that heavy on java anymore anyways.

13. reservedegotist thread starter macrumors regular

Our Mac OSs are named after cats, so :p?

14. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Bad ass jungle cats yo...

I wouldn't want an OS named after house cats...

10.7 Cheshire Cat

10.8 Siamese Cat

etc etc...

so lame.

15. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Well, nothing on the web is pure javascript. As someone mentioned before on the endgadget has shown, it is barely or simply a tie. Apple ecosystem is better. More apps. Better battery. More secure. As long as Apple continue to set the trend, close sys is fine.

16. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I'd say the iPhone 4 still wins. When a page loads you can read the text immediately because of the high res retina display. On android most webpages are illegible unless you zoom in. Personally though browser speed isn't something I'm looking for when I bought this phone. The internet browsing experience on the iPhone is excellent.

17. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Pretty dang close!

It's interesting to see how flash on/off effects the Nexus One's performance. Clearly, if you gotta have your banner ads, that's the phone to get! Competition is a good thing indeed.

18. dmx macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if Apple has actually optimized safari for iOS at all since it's release?

Obviously it's faster as the phones it is used on get faster processors, but has Safari itself actually been improved/optimized?

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Thus can only be good, it means there is still room for improvement on apples end, and the more press android gets the more motivation for apple to improve mobile safari. Also, isn't the nexus one using older hardware Wichita is technically infiroir to the iPhones new 1ghz a4?

20. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Rocking flash 10.1 on my Droid.

Know what's really cool?

There's a sort of "on demand" setting in the browser that'll load the webpage fine with no flash, and display an icon where the flash content on a page is. I don't see the content unless I want to see it, and when I want to see it then it's as simple as clicking on it. No ads, and no slow webpage loading of flash content I don't care about.

Know what else is cool? My battery performance is not effected at all.

Ah, options. So beautiful.

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

If its so cool, then why are you here on a iphone forum being a complete ass?

Just sayin'.

22. briand05 macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 and my overclocked 1 GHz 2.2 Droid are pretty close in rendering speed (with flash off), it's really almost a pure draw, though navigating the OS and opening and closing apps seems faster on the iPhone. Of course the iPhone 4 battery life completely blows away the Droid. The biggest weakness of Android to me is simply the apps are nowhere near as polished, just look at Pandora or Slacker on iOS and compare it to the Android versions. Look at eBuddy on Android and compare it to BeeJive, it's just pathetic how ugly Android apps are. If an app has both iOS and Android versions, the Android versions are just about always clunkier and uglier. 3D gaming is almost nowhere to be found on Android.

23. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

The original droid is long forgotten. Old news. POS in comparison to the new iPhone. Even the droid x has been rated worse than the new iPhone.

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

That's Apple fans way of thinking. Regular people turn Flash off and then turn it on only when visiting Flash-based web sites (like watching TV shows on ABC) :)

25. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I don't think you understand the concept of regular people.