Uh oh, SJ's red herrings yesterday now causes...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rum31, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. RA19 macrumors regular

As a confirmed Apple fan-boy I have to say RIM's statement is spot-on!

:(

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I think RIM missed the part where he said that all these phones are still good products. I didn't see Steve as dissing any product, just to show that the issue is not just iPhone.

If they want to play that way, let RIM please explain why their phone does the same thing.

I think Apple done all of the smartphone market a favor. He knows it's a problem all over the market, lets work to make it better.

4. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  5. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm sure any company would do the same thing if their product had gone through 3 weeks of constant bashing for an issue that affects all similar products. What was Apple supposed to do? Just say that "other phones" have similar problems without providing any specifics? Then people would just completely dismiss their claims as being baseless. They needed to be convincing and the only way to do that is with actual specific demonstrations.

RIM's response already takes shots back at Apple, so forget about them taking the classy approach. At least Nokia focused on their own efforts in antenna technology without even mentioning Apple.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is a good article, but did anyone notice that Steve said that they were going to try to fix this problem in a future iPhone? Paraphrasing.

7. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  8. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  9. Philalbe macrumors 6502

Well said :)

10. doboy macrumors 68000

At least Apple has the balls to come up with new innovative designs to not only "beautify" their product, but also provide enhancements like better battery life, display, etc. I would rather go with a company that tries to be creative rather than stay with same old boring design and function. All other companies are doing is making their phones bigger.

Yes, during their process of innovation, they introduced unintended consequences so if you are a customer and can't deal with it then just return the product, which you probably don't own anyways, and shut the hell up and move along.

11. solarein macrumors regular

I don't think anyone faults Apple for trying something different. However I think a lot of people expect that when the new thing you try proves to be a failure, you come out and say so, rather than trying to claim that it's not worse than anything else out there. People don't have a problem with someone making a mistake, admitting to it, and making things right. It's dishonesty and arrogance that people don't like.

12. bluespark macrumors 65816

How was that a trolling comment? The antenna issue is clearly a design defect, other successful innovation notwithstanding. One can love iPhone 4 for it's considerable strengths and still take issue with Apple on this point.

13. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  14. doboy macrumors 68000

I have to disagree that the phone is a failure. It may not work for some so immediately it's a failure when it seems to work for majority of the people who uses it? It may seem like a failure to those with signal issues, but to those without a problem, it's not. What I have issue is with these sweeping generalization.

15. doboy macrumors 68000

Let me honestly ask people who think it's a defect. Do you or have you ever owned iPhone 4? Did you have call dropping issues or you heard or saw videos online? Yes, you may see the signals drop by a bar or two, but how does it affect your real usage?

16. solarein macrumors regular

A product doesn't have to fail for everybody who uses it to be a failure. To paraphrase Steve Jobs himself:

If you need to hold a press conference defending your product and offer a free accessory to appease your customers, you have already failed.

17. Mach1.8 macrumors member

This is pure, unfiltered, high quality rubbish. Your comment is completely baseless. Worst in history? Care to back up that claim? I can't believe how incensed people get over this issue. It's just a phone...dont like it, dont buy it. I can say this though, and I can't wait to see how you can spin this in a cynical light:
    I can't remember the CEO of any other phone company ever calling a press conference to apologize for a possible problem with a phone and offering a substantial fix. Ever. Let's not forget that there are ALOT of crappy phones out there. Did the loudmouth CEOs of RIM apologize for the train wreck that sure press on the Storm is? Nope. There are a myriad of other examples...take any WinMo phone. So you can call Apple deceitful all you want, but that kind of rhetoric just makes you sound silly.

18. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  19. doboy macrumors 68000

At what percent would you call it a failure? Do you even own iPhone 4?

20. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I remember Steve actually calling the BBerry they used as an example the most popular business phone in the world.

Well it was something like that.

21. doboy macrumors 68000

You want to make iPhone 4 better than keep complaining to Apple or write to SJ. You want Android to succeed? Then keep buying their new phones every two weeks.

22. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

The problem is the phones do not hare the same problem as the iPhone. You don't even need to have your phone in your jane (I.e it could be resting on the table) and with one finger you can get it to lose signal. Hell it doesn't have to be a finger, just use a house key or something.
    Apple was just trying to shift the blame and I would be pretty annoyed if I was one of the phone companies he tried to 'grab onto as he fell off the cliff'

23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I concur. An exemplary example of thoughtful discussion.

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You've brought up another excellent point.

It's unfortunate that a good portion of marketing has become nothing more that attacks on the competition. Instead of highlighting the features and benefits of their own product, the prevailing practice is to go negative. It's so much like politics. Attack, attack, attack.