UK 3G iPhone Info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Libitina, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

They're chumming the sharks (sorry, salespeople) even as we speak, just waiting for all those little fish to swim in and get signed up... ;)

3. pauld macrumors regular

I'm thinking the same re store sign up. I have a feeling that there will be no way to buy it without taking a contract with one of the named providers.

4. Libitina thread starter macrumors 6502

Libitina

Is chum the meat thrown over to attract the sharks? :confused:

5. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's the stuff... get some blood in the water, then it becomes a feeding frenzy of 18 month contracts at £75 a month for the top level... lotsa commission to be had for someone!

6. Libitina thread starter macrumors 6502

Libitina

7. Mr Ikasu macrumors member

So I suppose the question is, whats the deal for all of us who already are signed up.

We didn't get a subsidised iPhone so can we upgrade for no penalty if we extend our contract. I am fairly sure that will be the case but it would be nice to know for sure.

Especially since I have sold my old one...

Any news on price? I notice the UK homepage doesn't say "Twice the speed. Half the Price" like the US one

£129? £149?

8. witchdrash macrumors member

I'd be amazed if Apple didn't sell them directly, I know it's a bit weird but I'd much rather buy mine direct from Apple, esp. as O2 and CPW stores annoy me on an epic level.

9. Libitina thread starter macrumors 6502

Libitina

Me too, but it doesn't look very likely.

10. markym07931 macrumors regular

oooh, that is really really odd...

no need to take time off work to head down to my nearest apple store if that is the case then.. i'll just saunter along to my local o2 place, and get one there... meh!

11. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Might be a mistake, but this is on the UK page for MobileMe... I can't really see it being £100 though!

[​IMG]

Ed

12. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Shame the iPhone is still locked to O2. I was hoping for any network this time, as O2 are just awful (in my experience).
    Bad enough for me to not get the phone methinks. Ah well, my iPod Touch will still rock pretty hard with 2.0.

13. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Is that because of the staff? 'Cause that's what gets me - every Carphone Warehouse store has a salesperson called Dave - with over-gelled hair, Lynx deodorant and bad skin? :D

14. Libitina thread starter macrumors 6502

Libitina

Theres a nice woman in our local O2 shop, but I'd rather have bought it from Apple. I prefer their customer service.

15. stomer macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that they aren't already accepting orders. I guess this really does mean that you wont be able to buy an iPhone online, instead you'll have to visit and Apple Store or reseller, where you'll have to sign a contract there and then.

This completely sucks. There's no way that I'm signing up for an 18 month contract with any provider. I guess that means no iPhone for me.

16. witchdrash macrumors member

That or Amir with way too much after-shave and one of those grins that says 20 years ago I'd be selling 2nd hand cars...

I will put up with CPW for this particular handset, but I'd much rather go to an Apple Store, it's nice to see people who actually have an interest in what they sell and it's not about forcing people to buy stuff.

17. MacMuppet macrumors member

I don't need the video calls and everything else about the phone
    is fine for me so it all depends on the prices and deals.
    PAYG for around £250 would be fine but whether or not
    it would retail for that is another matter.....

18. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

19. omgclare macrumors newbie

UK 3G iPhone Info

Okay, so details aren't as detailed as we like, but from what I have heard so far from lots of different sources...

- Phone handset to cost around £129 for 8GB model. I really don't seeing it being cheaper and £129 seems pretty fair tbh. I imagine it would be £199 for 16GB model.

- Phone is not avaliable for pre-order, as of yet. Though strange as most other products have been avaliable for pre-order 5 minutes after keynote. I think it will be online in a week or so. Another reason for this may also be..

- Contracts, because of this huge price cut, you might have to sign a contract instore. Apple are now getting a cut of the contract money, thus they care about unlocking now. They will make it a lot harder.

- It will be released 11th of July 2008. Same as US, Aus, etc etc. The handset can be purchased at a Carphone Warehouse or o2 store for sure.

- It will not be avaliable on other networks, only o2. Which I personally think is really stupid, o2 aren't that great a network.

Anyone wanna throw in other UK rumours, facts, etc?
    People need to calm down a bit, apple gave themselves a month to get ready for a reason. The iPhone will come.

20. Mr Ikasu macrumors member

Interesting...

Should be interesting to see what they do with existing customers. £100 sounds brilliant as an upgrade plan.
    Just hoping you don't have to hand in your old one since I won't have one...

As for the free on new contracts. Well expect to see everybody in the UK get one shortly. As much as its not the done thing to say it, I do enjoy the exclusivity of having the iPhone.

21. markym07931 macrumors regular

thing is.... if they do offer it on PAYG, i'd probably get it on that, as i had already budgeted £300 for the handset..

my contract that i have with t-mob, runs through til sept/oct, so if i can get one on PAYG and use that for the time being, and then get a contract (with a free phone) in the oct...

just some thoughts...

22. BrianFD3S macrumors member

SJ said that the max price worldwide was 199USD. That was without subsidies.

23. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

I've heard different prices...
    I think we should all get some sleep and wake up to a press release from O2 tomorrow morning...

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

If the upgrade is £100 for existing users I'm not interested I'm afraid. Not with the poor improvements, and with that nasty plastic back.

That said, Techcrunch has about a 100% failure record for iPhone rumours.

Phazer