Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotzenplotz

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Yeah, I decided to stick with my v1 for the foreseeable future. 3G and GPS is not worth to me.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I'm not going to upgrade at that price. The 3G handset is just not impressive enough for me to pay £100 for it - indeed, I'm not sure I'd take it for nothing.

However, BT Openzone being included in the tarriff is a signifcant bonus for us.

Now the question is I guess should I take the 3G upgrade, sell it and keep my old phone?

Phazer

deccoo

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
London, UK
Not really free...if you are on £35

That all important star...

https://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

Current £35 month customer = 3G Handset on new 18month - £99

New customer coming onto £35 month = 3G Handset on new 18month - £99

So, if you are a £35 a month customer you are not being rewarded at all because if you were a new customer coming off the street you would get the same price! Bit cheeky aye! How about £50 for us early adopters?

iPhelim

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
However, BT Openzone being included in the tarriff is a signifcant bonus for us.

Just noticed that too. All the hotspots i want to use are BT, would be major plus. Asking me to pay £100 and enter a new contract is **** though.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I'm not going to upgrade at that price. The 3G handset is just not impressive enough for me to pay £100 for it - indeed, I'm not sure I'd take it for nothing.

Now the question is I guess should I take the 3G upgrade, sell it and keep my old phone?

Phazer

I wonder if I could take an N96 on contract and buy a 16Gb iPhone on PAYG using the same SIM?

markym07931

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
ok.. think about it this way..

you bought your iphone sometime since november last year, or, at the cheap price recently..

now.. they are letting you off a minimum of 10 months of your contract, if you want the newer version.. i think that is very reasonable, unheard of really, that you can have an upgrade after 8 months into an 18 months, or in some cases 2 months into the 18 months!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Phazer.. thing is.. i'd sell your old one.. unlock it, whack it on ebay, it'll still sell...

I don't want the new one. I'd rather have the existing (prettier) design than 3G (which makes very little practical difference, given the main issue on the O2 network is latency anyway). I'll never use GPS.

My question really is how upgrading now will affect any future upgrade for the next iPhone, which might actually improve the camera to make it worth a damn or fix the styling. If it likely won't, I may as well get the upgrade just to sell. I'll make significant profits on it.

Phazer

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I'm going to switch to the £45pm contract. Works out a whopping £4.40p more per month over the 18months for the 16GB version. Considering I was already going to buy a satnav and thinking about putting my minutes up.

+ The g/f gets the old iphone on pay as you go.

All in all, could have been better but we don't live in a free world.

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
ok, so I have an 8GB 2G iPhone on the £35 a month contract.....

To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract either, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract.

will I be able to get a free upgrade?

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
I just thought, what the HELL am i gonna do with my 'old' iPhone now? Who's gonna buy it?! If everyone knows that the new one is out in a few weeks...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.