Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All Apple Stores in the United Kingdom will be closed on Monday, September 19, out of respect for the planned state funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Apple told UK-based staff today.

apple-regent-street-hires.jpeg

Monday, September 19, has been marked as a bank holiday by King Charles III, given the planned state funeral for Her Majesty. Official government guidance states that it's up to individual businesses whether they wish to close on that day.

Apple also told staff that this coming Wednesday, the first day the Queen's coffin is expected to lie in state in London, it will operate at a reduced capacity in its stores across the United Kingdom. Reduced working capacities are expected to continue into the weekend for some locations.

Following her death, Apple has kept a tribute to the Queen on its UK front page.

Article Link: UK Apple Stores to Close Next Monday for State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Yeah it’s a public holiday now. Glad I moved here from the States

It's not a normal public holiday, their is no legal obligation for the employer to allow their employees to have the day off next Monday. Hopefully many will respect and honour the day and allow staff to take it off. I still don't know if I've got it off.

Last edited:

Jetman

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007

All Apple Stores in the United Kingdom will be closed on Monday, September 19, out of respect for the planned state funeral of her Majesty the Queen, Apple told UK-based staff today.

apple-regent-street-hires.jpeg

Monday, September 19, has been marked as a bank holiday by King Charles III, given the planned state funeral for Her Majesty. Official government guidance states that it's up to individual businesses whether they wish to close on that day.

Apple also told staff that this coming Wednesday, the first day the Queen's coffin is expected to lie in state in London, it will operate at a reduced capacity in its stores across the United Kingdom. Reduced working capacities are expected to continue into the weekend for some locations.

Following her death, Apple has kept a tribute to the Queen on its UK front page.

Article Link: UK Apple Stores to Close Next Monday for State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II
Saw the Queen getting some support for her Mac in the Genius Bar in Covent Garden store once. Seemed to know what she was talking about. She was telling the Genius about what a pain it used to be "when one had to work with punch cards."

God bless you Ma'am.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
There are always attention seeking trolls that having nothing good to say about anyone, just always looking for the negative aspects of any situation to spout forth their spiteful rhetoric. Opinions are like arseholes, more of less every one has one, but they feel compelled to express their narcissistic vitriol at every opportunity. It's boorish & tiresome, unfortunately its what you have to live with in the online world.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
I think great for front line staff to get paid time off but I wouldn't be offended if Apple Stores stayed open. I know museums are closing because they often have a royal link but I hadn't realised how apathetic I was about the monarchy until now. Looking on the BBC you'd think the whole country had come to a standstill - there's no balancing view.

djgamble

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2006
You don't have to like her, but you could at least show some respect, since she was no ordinary woman.

You can express your opinion, as long as you're respectful.
Agreed mate. I'm Aussie and want Australia to be a republic.

However, our royal family is an institution that we all know and it's a significant part of our culture. I think it would take a VERY bitter person to not have been impacted by Lizzie's death.

Nobody's being asked to cry, watch processions and sing pro-monarchist tunes. It's a day off work to reflect and show some respect for the institution of the crown. At the heart of it, our head of state has died. Love the royals or loathe them... a royal death is a royal death.

While I'm for a republic, this wouldn't involve tearing down all the castles and making the royals live like commoners. These are significant historic and cultural icons that should live on. My long-term wish is that the governor general be replaced by 'president' (not a US-style elected president... a drop-in replacement for the GG with an identical selection process, who's an Australian citizen with no links to the crown).

steve09090

macrumors 68030
Aug 12, 2008
Agreed mate. I'm Aussie and want Australia to be a republic.

However, our royal family is an institution that we all know and it's a significant part of our culture. I think it would take a VERY bitter person to not have been impacted by Lizzie's death.

Nobody's being asked to cry, watch processions and sing pro-monarchist tunes. It's a day off work to reflect and show some respect for the institution of the crown. At the heart of it, our head of state has died. Love the royals or loathe them... a royal death is a royal death.

While I'm for a republic, this wouldn't involve tearing down all the castles and making the royals live like commoners. These are significant historic and cultural icons that should live on. My long-term wish is that the governor general be replaced by 'president' (not a US-style elected president... a drop-in replacement for the GG with an identical selection process, who's an Australian citizen with no links to the crown).
God Save the Queen because nothing can save the Governor General?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.