UK Carriers Slash iPad Prices Ahead of Expected Refresh

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TechRadar reports that a pair of UK wireless carriers have slashed their pricing on 3G-capable iPad models, presumably looking to clear stock ahead of an anticipated update to the popular tablet device. The two carriers, Orange and T-Mobile, are offering the price drops to those customers signing up for 24-month data contracts.
    Orange, T-Mobile, and Three all launched subsidized iPad pricing back in December for customers willing to commit to two-year data contracts.

Article Link: UK Carriers Slash iPad Prices Ahead of Expected Refresh

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

3. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Looking like we're getting close. Bring it on!!! iPad 2.0!

4. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Way more excited about this than I am a MBP. Hopefully only a month from some announcement.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Subsidized iPad's in the US would just be the thing to make the iPad a no brainer for some...

6. AJ Predictions macrumors member

Whats going on here?
    A Macbook Pro refresh, a iPad refresh, or both!?!

IDK cause I'm an idiot. :D

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Good catch MR! The only problem is, that i don't live in the UK.

:eek:

8. homsar macrumors member

It's worth noting that T-Mobile and Orange merged a while ago and are now the same company, just operating the two brands separately for the time being, so it's not quite as notable as it sounds (in that probably only one person/group has acted on the basis of the rumours, rather than two which would be more significant).

9. oTaRu macrumors regular

10. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Not for me... I'd hate to be stuck on a 2 year plan with a secondary mobile device - most of the time I'd be on WiFi anyway.

11. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

It's a good sign. Last week at&t started to discount the accessories, this week Orange is dropping it's prices to dump stock. Nice.:)

12. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Both at the same time with LightPeak on them being the "One more thing". Pity there isn't a press conference scheduled:eek:

13. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

One thing I noticed about Orange... they give the loyal customers a discount instead of the new users. Nice.... in the US, it seems like only the new customers can get a deal and existing customers get little.

Just thought it was an interesting difference. :D

14. AJ Predictions macrumors member

Ya, I was looking for a obvious notification that new products are coming by a invitation online like the "Lion peeking behind the Apple logo" one. ;)

15. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So if we get the pros on Thursday, we will get the iPad 2 1-2 weeks later

16. Surely Guest

Surely

It's ridiculous.

I know someone that wanted an iPhone 4 who was already under contract with Verizon. She was 2 months away from the end of her contract. Verizon wouldn't forgive the last two months of her contract in order to allow her to upgrade early to the iP4. So, she cancelled her contract and went to AT&T.

17. millypede macrumors 6502

millypede

Or its just down to poor sales of the iPad in mobile stores.

18. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Maybe we'll get the notice this week for one next week???? I hope so. The suspense is killing me! :) Okay... not really... but I am eager to hear the real specs!

19. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

For the 1st time since I've been with the new ATT I'm up for early renewal on February 28th. My current contract expires June 26th. I guess iPad and IPhone competition has made AT&T more flexible on contracts.

20. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Wasn't it Orange that said they had poor response to this sort of offer? Doesn't surprise me... $40 a month for 2 years ($960) + $150 upfront seems like a lot for 1GB access and a 3G iPad. That's about $20 per-month for the 1 GB 3G service.... not horrible considering the financing of the iPad is in there.... but you're also locked in for 2 years on a model that just about everyone knows is at the end of it's life cycle.

21. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    I just checked craigslist.

People are still expecting to get full price.

To get a good deal on a used one, gotta wait a week after the announcement.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think this could have a lot to do with it - I can't imagine many people would be buying into operator tie-in and two year contracts for iPads.

23. Elvin908, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011

Elvin908 Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have been waiting for the upgrade sooooo long to come, hopefully will come pretty soon

24. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'd be all over a deal like this in the US. I'd never pay full retail for an iPad but 100 bucks and a data deal sounds pretty darn good to me.

25. Kehletten macrumors newbie

The danish retail store in Denmark "Humac" is also lowering their prices on the iPad now...;)