UK Carriers Slash iPad Prices Ahead of Expected Refresh

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TechRadar reports that a pair of UK wireless carriers have slashed their pricing on 3G-capable iPad models, presumably looking to clear stock ahead of an anticipated update to the popular tablet device. The two carriers, Orange and T-Mobile, are offering the price drops to those customers signing up for 24-month data contracts.
Orange is now selling the iPad for £99 on its 24-month contracts and T-Mobile is offering the same to existing customers.

Previously, Orange was offering the iPad WiFi + 3G at £199.99 upfront on a £25 per month contract to existing customers and at £229.99 for new customers on a £27 per month contract - so the new pricing offers a saving of at least £100 on each.

T-Mobile, meanwhile, is only offering the discount to existing customers on a 24-month £25 tariff.
Orange, T-Mobile, and Three all launched subsidized iPad pricing back in December for customers willing to commit to two-year data contracts.

Article Link: UK Carriers Slash iPad Prices Ahead of Expected Refresh

homsar

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
It's worth noting that T-Mobile and Orange merged a while ago and are now the same company, just operating the two brands separately for the time being, so it's not quite as notable as it sounds (in that probably only one person/group has acted on the basis of the rumours, rather than two which would be more significant).

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
It's a good sign. Last week at&t started to discount the accessories, this week Orange is dropping it's prices to dump stock. Nice.:)

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
One thing I noticed about Orange... they give the loyal customers a discount instead of the new users. Nice.... in the US, it seems like only the new customers can get a deal and existing customers get little.

Just thought it was an interesting difference. :D

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So if we get the pros on Thursday, we will get the iPad 2 1-2 weeks later

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
One thing I noticed about Orange... they give the loyal customers a discount instead of the new users. Nice.... in the US, it seems like only the new customers can get a deal and existing customers get little.

Just thought it was an interesting difference. :D
It's ridiculous.

I know someone that wanted an iPhone 4 who was already under contract with Verizon. She was 2 months away from the end of her contract. Verizon wouldn't forgive the last two months of her contract in order to allow her to upgrade early to the iP4. So, she cancelled her contract and went to AT&T.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Both at the same time with LightPeak on them being the "One more thing". Pity there isn't a press conference scheduled:eek:
Maybe we'll get the notice this week for one next week???? I hope so. The suspense is killing me! :) Okay... not really... but I am eager to hear the real specs!

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
It's ridiculous.

I know someone that wanted an iPhone 4 who was already under contract with Verizon. She was 2 months away from the end of her contract. Verizon wouldn't forgive the last two months of her contract in order to allow her to upgrade early to the iP4. So, she cancelled her contract and went to AT&T.
For the 1st time since I've been with the new ATT I'm up for early renewal on February 28th. My current contract expires June 26th. I guess iPad and IPhone competition has made AT&T more flexible on contracts.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Or its just down to poor sales of the iPad in mobile stores.
Wasn't it Orange that said they had poor response to this sort of offer? Doesn't surprise me... $40 a month for 2 years ($960) + $150 upfront seems like a lot for 1GB access and a 3G iPad. That's about $20 per-month for the 1 GB 3G service.... not horrible considering the financing of the iPad is in there.... but you're also locked in for 2 years on a model that just about everyone knows is at the end of it's life cycle.

Elvin908

Feb 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have been waiting for the upgrade sooooo long to come, hopefully will come pretty soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.