Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What model are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Put it on yourself. Even if you don’t do a perfect job it’s better than leaving your iPhone in its box unused (if that’s what you were intending) or using it unprotected. Remember too that you can have 3 attempts for less than a tenner. My guess is that you’ll get it right first time.

Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement and confidence from you and the others here. I may well give it a try. After all I have nothing to lose but the cost of the screen protectors.

Reactions: Thoradin and CD3660

gadget.guy

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Yorkshire
think I’m going to sell my iPhone 12 Pro and put the extra towards buying a Pro Max, I am really missing the size of the Max
i'm still in two minds about my pro when i pick it up i do think wow thats small but then ive upgraded from an xs max and also use a fold 2 which is a monster.

I won't be ditching it i'll be happy to use it for the next 10 months but i'm going to see how it goes over that period see if i can adjust sometimes its like its so light and it can be easily used with one hand but then the next i miss the extra bit of screen the pro max does/would have.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Not too shabby speeds in Hemel Hempstead

38F00E13-9767-4EDA-B148-5DAF4BB4FE0D.png

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Thanks, I'll take a look at Microsoft Family, that would definitely work for me. Protection is the one reason I've personally had so many cloud accounts. That coupled with not 100% full trust in the cloud as a storage solution which is why I have the SSD's too.

Going off piste, where the keys to the cloud data encryption key is held does vary from cloud storage services. Cloud cyber attacks are on the rise - I was reading the volume of attacks on cloud services more than doubled in 2019 and accounted for 20% of investigated incidents. Corporate and internal networks remain the most targeted domains, representing 54% of incidents, cloud environments are now the third most targeted environment for cyber attacks & continually increasing.

Geeky tech facts for the day!

LOCKSS - lots of copied keeps stuff safe ;). LOCKSS is a real preservation deployment btw, see

Reactions: Supersonicc

Supersonicc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2016
I don’t normally buy the Belkin screen protectors and have Apple install them. There is a kiosk in the shopping centre that sells iPhone and iPad cases as well as screen protectors. I usually supply my own and have them put it on. They only charge me £2 for the service which is pretty reasonable and they do an excellent job every time. Obviously with lock down starting again they will most likely be closed. So I will either have to put it on myself or wait 2-3 weeks.
That's a bargain at only £2 for the installation, I would easily pay that myself to be fair! Yeah just give the ESR one a go yourself as it's straightforward then get the kiosk to put a new one on during second week in December. Fingers crossed the second lockdown will actually be over by then!

Reactions: Mr.C

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
would assume he got the bargain amazon pro so would be able to sell it for more than the actual price he paid for it.

Got it from EE mate, still can return but won’t actually be able to wait for the bag to return and get it back to them by Friday, and if I don’t order Friday there will be a massive wait without my phone as I sold it to Music Magpie.

I also got a good deal but had to go through executive complaints to get it, doubt they’ll honour it again if I return. I also got the 256gb phone for free when upgrading as part of the complaint.

I saved £50 phone cost plus £40 saving a month over 24 months - that’s almost a £1000 over 24 months contract. So I genuinely think I’d be stupid to return it and sacrifice that saving.

I have read that the 12 pros are going for about £900+ on eBay, it’s a dodgy route but if it works out it means I only need to put £100 into it

Reactions: gadget.guy

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Exciting isn’t it, having all the accessories lined up and ready for the new phone? I have my ESR screen protectors already and my case and charger should be here tomorrow.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid case
ESR screen protector
Anker USB-C brick

also ready and waiting but still have this Pro that will be returned to Apple at some point when stores re open

Reactions: Mr.C

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Going from iPhone X to 12 Pro Max. Had the battery replaced last Christmas when you could get it for £29 and it's already shot. iOS 14 seems to have killed the X and I'm facing so much lag and constant resprings, as I use my phone all the time I don't want to be dealing with that. Also somehow got an annoying scratch right across the camera that causes focusing issues.

A family member got the 11 Pro Max which really sold it for me, find the screen of the X too small for video. Helps to have something to look forward to with lockdown too!

Currently with EE on a SIM-only plan, any opinions on the best network for 5G?

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
Thi
Going from iPhone X to 12 Pro Max. Had the battery replaced last Christmas when you could get it for £29 and it's already shot. iOS 14 seems to have killed the X and I'm facing so much lag and constant resprings, as I use my phone all the time I don't want to be dealing with that. Also somehow got an annoying scratch right across the camera that causes focusing issues.

A family member got the 11 Pro Max which really sold it for me, find the screen of the X too small for video. Helps to have something to look forward to with lockdown too!

Currently with EE on a SIM-only plan, any opinions on the best network for 5G
This was the same for me, my X started over heating and freezing a lot since iOS 14. Battery was terrible too, hence I got the 12 pro. No regrets so far, the camera is exceptional compared to the X.

Reactions: AaronM5670

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

Currently with EE on a SIM-only plan, any opinions on the best network for 5G?
You’re already on the best network for 5G in the UK.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Just about to press the buy button for the ESR clear case and screen protector bundle when I read this - does this fit with others' experience of the case?

"I have had esr products for a while and they are good value for money.
I usually buy the flexible cases but most tend to go yellow quickly so I chose this version with the hard back.
The case is a very tight fit and feels sturdy and the buttons all line up well so all good there.
The negatives are that once you fit the screen protector it makes the screen stick out higher than the case edges so it offers no protection to the screen at all. Usually there is around 1mm of the case sitting higher than the screen.
The hard back is another part that has a flaw where it too lies flat on any surface with no raised edge and even though I am very careful with my phones the hard plastic is marked already and the marks all show up against the dark background of the pacific blue phone.
I am now looking for a decent case that has the soft back and higher raised edges as these cases do not seem to scratch like the hard backed cases.
Pity as esr cases are normally spot on."

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Just about to press the buy button for the ESR clear case and screen protector bundle when I read this - does this fit with others' experience of the case?

"I have had esr products for a while and they are good value for money.
I usually buy the flexible cases but most tend to go yellow quickly so I chose this version with the hard back.
The case is a very tight fit and feels sturdy and the buttons all line up well so all good there.
The negatives are that once you fit the screen protector it makes the screen stick out higher than the case edges so it offers no protection to the screen at all. Usually there is around 1mm of the case sitting higher than the screen.
The hard back is another part that has a flaw where it too lies flat on any surface with no raised edge and even though I am very careful with my phones the hard plastic is marked already and the marks all show up against the dark background of the pacific blue phone.
I am now looking for a decent case that has the soft back and higher raised edges as these cases do not seem to scratch like the hard backed cases.
Pity as esr cases are normally spot on."
I have the following combination and have none of the problems in that review. This case is the soft, flexible type though.

ESR Clear Silicone for iPhone 12 Case, iPhone 12 Pro Case Slim Clear Soft TPU, Flexible Silicone Cover for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro (2020), Clear https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXR5CF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_hRRLtZfAdbQD9

ESR glass Screen Protector compatible with 6.1" ( iPhone 12/ iPhone 12 Pro ) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXHHLWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Q1wJ8wfZ34tvl

Reactions: StrollerEd

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Got it from EE mate, still can return but won’t actually be able to wait for the bag to return and get it back to them by Friday, and if I don’t order Friday there will be a massive wait without my phone as I sold it to Music Magpie.

I also got a good deal but had to go through executive complaints to get it, doubt they’ll honour it again if I return. I also got the 256gb phone for free when upgrading as part of the complaint.

I saved £50 phone cost plus £40 saving a month over 24 months - that’s almost a £1000 over 24 months contract. So I genuinely think I’d be stupid to return it and sacrifice that saving.

I have read that the 12 pros are going for about £900+ on eBay, it’s a dodgy route but if it works out it means I only need to put £100 into it

Just remember the device is locked to EE so the price may well be less.

• Sad

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
I have the following combination and have none of the problems in that review. This case is the soft, flexible type though.

ESR Clear Silicone for iPhone 12 Case, iPhone 12 Pro Case Slim Clear Soft TPU, Flexible Silicone Cover for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro (2020), Clear https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXR5CF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_hRRLtZfAdbQD9

ESR glass Screen Protector compatible with 6.1" ( iPhone 12/ iPhone 12 Pro ) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXHHLWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Q1wJ8wfZ34tvl
I've had a Spigen Liquid Air case on my X and I've been very happy with it for the price, lasted me since launch day. Any opinions on Spigen vs the ESR which is around the same price?

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
My esr screen protectors now arrived. Hopefully correct ones as there is nothing on the packaging that states iPhone 12 pro max. However compared the frame to my Xs max and it is slightly bigger.

3eae9c0b2c1ba7fb200129340e8f5e5d.jpg

c1760939358601beabf0c252906a7fe2.jpg

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
My esr screen protectors now arrived. Hopefully correct ones as there is nothing on the packaging that states iPhone 12 pro max. However compared the frame to my Xs max and it is slightly bigger.

Might try these for a change as I had JETech and Spigen ones on my X and found those cracked quite easily.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK

I thought the same but it says on the back that it’s for 6.1” screen so it’s fine. Just fitted mine and it’s invisible, absolutely brilliant and so cheap too!! .. I always go caseless and screen cover-less but with all the talk of the ESR ones I decided to give it a go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.