Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What model are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I believe this depends on where you bought it. If you bought it from a physical Apple store they will extend the return period until the stores open again. If, on the other hand, you bought it from Apple online, you are expected to arrange an online return (which is very easy) within the normal period.

Thx it’s from an actual store. Was planning on returning it when picking the Max up. Guess that is now delivering only with being under lockdown on launch

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Is there anyway to get the new iPhone on the upgrade plan as the stores are shut would it be able to do it online at all

I know you had mentioned the faff of not doing IUP but it’s not really that big a task.

You could just do the 24 month loan, pre approve and have the phone delivered. Apple Will also trade in your current phone and that involves sticking it into a box they provide. You can then just use that to pay off Barclays which is just one phone call. All done without leaving your house

Last edited:

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I believe this depends on where you bought it. If you bought it from a physical Apple store they will extend the return period until the stores open again. If, on the other hand, you bought it from Apple online, you are expected to arrange an online return (which is very easy) within the normal period.
How easy is it? Does a courier come and pick it up? I would want proof of postage if I had to send it in myself. Will Post Offices be considered essential retail during this next lockdown including ones hosted inside WH Smiths shops? Even with Freepost labels I always hand in returns at a counter so that I can get a proof of postage receipt and if my local WH Smiths hosted branch isn’t open I have quite a hike to the nearest stand-alone Post Office. Not a big issue, it would get me my exercise for the day, but I am curious about just how easy Apple makes mail order returns in the U.K.

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
How easy is it? Does a courier come and pick it up? I would want proof of postage if I had to send it in myself. Will Post Offices be considered essential retail during this next lockdown including ones hosted inside WH Smiths shops? Even with Freepost labels I always hand in returns at a counter so that I can get a proof of postage receipt and if my local WH Smiths hosted branch isn’t open I have quite a hike to the nearest stand-alone Post Office. Not a big issue, it would get me my exercise for the day, but I am curious about just how easy Apple makes mail order returns in the U.K.
Apple use UPS for returns so you can have them collect from your home or drop it off at a UPS drop off location

Reactions: JulianL and Mr.C

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
How easy is it? Does a courier come and pick it up?...

...I am curious about just how easy Apple makes mail order returns in the U.K.

The last time I returned something to Apple was earlier this year. It was a new MacBook Pro with a faulty TouchBar.

It was collected by UPS. Very straightforward and simple. No problems at all.

Reactions: JulianL

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
Post offices remained open during the first lockdown - including ones in WH Smith so I can't see why it'd be different this time.

Reactions: JulianL

Supersonicc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2016
Can you notice any shadowing through the front camera with the protector covering the notch?

I can’t see any.

I know several others on here have used them. Perhaps they can confirm this?

I've used a number of ESR tempered glass protectors on different devices and never experienced any shadowing through the front camera. Always crystal clear so a non issue.

Mine arrived on Thursday for my Pro Max, hopefully the fit will be perfect like the 12 Pro.

Reactions: CD3660

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I really can’t see Apple delaying the entire launch of the Pro Mini and Pro Max because of the IUP. At best they’ll reserve stock for those customers.

Hopefully not but they could do for Europe - France, Italy and Germany are all in the same lockdown II until December. That’s a massive demographic.

Like you say, let’s hope Apple reserve stock.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just thought; 12 Pro arriving on Thursday and Pro Max arriving on a week Friday (fingers crossed) means only 4 days left with my 11 Pro Max....

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Thanks. Does that auto remove the e sim from your old phone? (Or does that happen when you erase old phone)

I’m pretty certain once you activate the new one, the old one stops working.
But to be in the safe side, I’d activate the new one before erasing old phone, that way you’ll know for sure

Edit: see post 10890 above with the helpful screenshot.

Reactions: Newjackboy

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Why don’t you order a pack of ESR tempered glass screen protectors from Amazon and have a go at fitting one yourself? They are cheap and very easy to use. Pack of 3 for £8.99.

ESR Tempered-Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 12 Pro Max [3-Pack] [Easy Installation Frame] [Case-Friendly] Premium Tempered Glass iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXPDN92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_auENFb69N20FM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I actually already ordered those and have them ready. I usually get a kiosk in the shopping centre put the scre protector on for me as I’ve tried before with no success. These new ones do come with the installation frame so I might give it a go.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
If these ESR protectors are the same as the smaller 6.1 version (and they look like it), they are really easy to fit and great quality.
I would definitely recommend giving it a go @Mr.C

Thanks. Yes I have them already. I may well give it a try. I can always get it replaced later when I places are open again as you do get three

Reactions: Thoradin

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I know you had mentioned the faff of not doing IUP but it’s not really that big a task.

You could just do the 20 month loan, pre approve and have the phone delivered. Apple Will also trade in your current phone and that involves sticking it into a box they provide. You can then just use that to pay off Barclays which is just one phone call. All done without leaving your house
20 month? You mean the 24 month 0% loan?

Reactions: Jinjin

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
To me the IUP seems a little pointless now

Take iPhone payments and add AppleCare, you get lower monthly payments than IUP

If after 12 months you want to upgrade, sell phone and make a little wonga and start again after paying the loan off

Suppose IUP is just simple to upgrade but your loosing out on at least minimal £100 in your pocket if you give the phone back to Apple

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
To me the IUP seems a little pointless now

Take iPhone payments and add AppleCare, you get lower monthly payments than IUP

If after 12 months you want to upgrade, sell phone and make a little wonga and start again

Suppose IUP is just simple to upgrade but your loosing out on at least minimal £100 in your pocket if you give the phone back to Apple
IUP is obviously the most straightforward solution for many people but, as you correctly point out, the convenience of it comes at a cost.

Reactions: MrJM

Supersonicc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks. Yes I have them already. I may well give it a try. I can always get it replaced later when I places are open again as you do get three
For installing an ESR protector, it's straightforward. I always install immediately after I open the iPhone box. So I don't actually take the plastic sheath (cardboard this year) off the front of the iPhone until I'm ready to go with the screen protector. That helps avoid any dust or lint from handling for a bubble-free, clean fitting. Plus the installation frame assists with alignment making the process stress-free.

The Belkin machines in the Apple stores do a great job of installing but you do pay for that convenience - you can get the same results at home without the extra cost. Also ESR offers better screen coverage than Belkin.

Reactions: Mr.C

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
For installing an ESR protector, it's straightforward. I always install immediately after I open the iPhone box. So I don't actually take the plastic sheath (cardboard this year) off the front of the iPhone until I'm ready to go with the screen protector. That helps avoid any dust or lint from handling for a bubble-free, clean fitting. Plus the installation frame assists with alignment making the process stress-free.

The Belkin machines in the Apple stores do a great job of installing but you do pay for that convenience - you can get the same results at home without the extra cost. Also ESR offers better screen coverage than Belkin.
Was there a promo on amazon this week for the ESR? Still on?

Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.