Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What model are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
So I actually got round to setting up my new iPhone 12 this weekend - these are my thoughts....

First thing I noticed right away, when comparing my old iPhone XS, was the weight - the XS has a nice weight to it whereas the iPhone 12 feels very light in comparison. Perhaps because I’m used to the XS weight but the 12 feels way too light....

I did the data transfer from iPhone XS to iPhone 12 using the method whereby you place both phones next to each other, which seemed to work quite well but with several caveats:

1. My Apple Watch was not transferred during this process. I had to unpair it from the XS and then re-pair it to the iPhone 12.

2. I had several photos on my iPhone XS which I had marked up using the ‘Mark Up’ feature in the Photos app BUT, once the data transfer process was completed, NONE of these mark ups transferred across ?. It ONLY transferred the original photos with NONE of the marks ups, so essentially, all that info was lost. Highly annoying....?

Other than the above, all is nice.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
For installing an ESR protector, it's straightforward. I always install immediately after I open the iPhone box. So I don't actually take the plastic sheath (cardboard this year) off the front of the iPhone until I'm ready to go with the screen protector. That helps avoid any dust or lint from handling for a bubble-free, clean fitting...
This is great advice.

Reactions: Mr.C

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So I actually got round to setting up my new iPhone 12 this weekend - these are my thoughts....

First thing I noticed right away, when comparing my old iPhone XS, was the weight - the XS has a nice weight to it whereas the iPhone 12 feels very light in comparison. Perhaps because I’m used to the XS weight but the 12 feels way too light....

I did the data transfer from iPhone XS to iPhone 12 using the method whereby you place both phones next to each other, which seemed to work quite well but with several caveats:

1. My Apple Watch was not transferred during this process. I had to unpair it from the XS and then re-pair it to the iPhone 12.

2. I had several photos on my iPhone XS which I had marked up using the ‘Mark Up’ feature in the Photos app BUT, once the data transfer process was completed, NONE of these mark ups transferred across . It ONLY transferred the original photos with NONE of the marks ups, so essentially, all that info was lost. Highly annoying....

I prefer the fact the 12 feels lighter to be honest. That’s why I prefer aluminium to stainless.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007

2. I had several photos on my iPhone XS which I had marked up using the ‘Mark Up’ feature in the Photos app BUT, once the data transfer process was completed, NONE of these mark ups transferred across ?. It ONLY transferred the original photos with NONE of the marks ups, so essentially, all that info was lost. Highly annoying....?

I wondered where you had disappeared to.

interesting to read your experience of transferring data directly from old phone to new. I have to say that I have my doubts as to the completeness of the transfer process. Presumably you are still able to manually transfer the marked up photos?

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I didn’t do any direct transfer nor did I unpair my watch.
I backed it up in the apple store and wiped it.
When I set it up using iCloud backup all was good and it asked if I wanted to use my watch with this new phone. I said yes and all done nice and simple

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
I prefer the fact the 12 feels lighter to be honest. That’s why I prefer aluminium to stainless.

I couldn’t agree more. 12 is the smart choice rather than pro. Telephoto lens is only about convenience what I found lately. I have compared iPhone X and 12 pro images. Not a substantial amount of output quality difference. Only effort without telephoto is a bit of more work on manual zoom (i.e legwork which is best zoom lens). We paid premium price point for convenience with quick snap. That is the only difference I could think of apart from 12 is better in value and lightweight.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
For installing an ESR protector, it's straightforward. I always install immediately after I open the iPhone box. So I don't actually take the plastic sheath (cardboard this year) off the front of the iPhone until I'm ready to go with the screen protector. That helps avoid any dust or lint from handling for a bubble-free, clean fitting. Plus the installation frame assists with alignment making the process stress-free.

The Belkin machines in the Apple stores do a great job of installing but you do pay for that convenience - you can get the same results at home without the extra cost. Also ESR offers better screen coverage than Belkin.

I don’t normally buy the Belkin screen protectors and have Apple install them. There is a kiosk in the shopping centre that sells iPhone and iPad cases as well as screen protectors. I usually supply my own and have them put it on. They only charge me £2 for the service which is pretty reasonable and they do an excellent job every time. Obviously with lock down starting again they will most likely be closed. So I will either have to put it on myself or wait 2-3 weeks.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
I don’t normally buy the Belkin screen protectors and have Apple install them. There is a kiosk in the shopping centre that sells iPhone and iPad cases as well as screen protectors. I usually supply my own and have them put it on. They only charge me £2 for the service which is pretty reasonable and they do an excellent job every time. Obviously with lock down starting again they will most likely be closed. So I will either have to put it on myself or wait 2-3 weeks.
Put it on yourself. Even if you don’t do a perfect job it’s better than leaving your iPhone in its box unused (if that’s what you were intending) or using it unprotected. Remember too that you can have 3 attempts for less than a tenner. My guess is that you’ll get it right first time.

Reactions: Mr.C

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I wondered where you had disappeared to.

interesting to read your experience of transferring data directly from old phone to new. I have to say that I have my doubts as to the completeness of the transfer process. Presumably you are still able to manually transfer the marked up photos?

...unfortunately the marked up pics seem to have vanished from my iCloud - it’s only the un-marked up versions which have remained so not entirely sure what’s happened here?!

Ali Hom

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
New York City
Can anyone share if they are using any custom Home Screen/icons?
got the new phone and now keen to update the Home Screen with some fresh visual Ui.
Also the ESR case for the iPhone 12 is a little thicker than I expected. Any recommendations for ultra thin clear cases?
Thanks In advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.