Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splashing the cash this September?

• Total voters

mrandyyu

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Birmingham, UK
Thats what I'll be doing.

Apprehensive about the size though, I've never had a plus phone.

My wife is going from the 7 to the XR.

I've told her there is a jump in size, but she thinks it'll be OK, especially for the cost difference between that and an XS, or even a discounted new X from somewhere like John Lewis.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My wife is going from the 7 to the XR.

I've told her there is a jump in size, but she thinks it'll be OK, especially for the cost difference between that and an XS, or even a discounted new X from somewhere like John Lewis.
Good luck with the pre order on Friday and hope the little one stays put for a bit longer!

Reactions: mrandyyu

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Thats what I'll be doing.

Apprehensive about the size though, I've never had a plus phone.

Me too. I hated the size of the 6/7/8 at first but like it now. Did take a while though.

I’m a little apprehensive about going bigger but don’t think it will be too much of an adjustment as size wise it’s not massively bigger. But there’s a lot more screen.

Going to go check it out once released first.

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018
Me too. I hated the size of the 6/7/8 at first but like it now. Did take a while though.

I’m a little apprehensive about going bigger but don’t think it will be too much of an adjustment as size wise it’s not massively bigger. But there’s a lot more screen.

Going to go check it out once released first.
I'm in the exact boat as you... I hated the 6/7/8 size at first (loved the 5/SE size), but after being forced to use an iPhone6 for 5 months now, the extra screen real estate makes me not want to go back to the SE size. While the Xs is not much physically bigger than the the 6/7/8, I heard its screen size/dimensions makes it a lot more ergonomically difficult to use one handed than the 6/7/8, at least for people with smaller hands like myself. Therefore, the Xr might be worse in that respect since it's physically larger than the Xs.

If I go to the store next week, play with the Xr and Xs, and determine the Xr size/ergonomics is good for me, or if it's at least not any worse than the Xs, then Xr it is. But if the Xs size is better suited for me than the Xr, then I have a second decision to make: is the extra $250 worth it? For me, size/ergonomics is more important than OLED vs LED and DPI.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I'm in the exact boat as you... I hated the 6/7/8 size at first (loved the 5/SE size), but after being forced to use an iPhone6 for 5 months now, the extra screen real estate makes me not want to go back to the SE size. While the Xs is not much physically bigger than the the 6/7/8, I heard its screen size/dimensions makes it a lot more ergonomically difficult to use one handed than the 6/7/8, at least for people with smaller hands like myself. Therefore, the Xr might be worse in that respect since it's physically larger than the Xs.

If I go to the store next week, play with the Xr and Xs, and determine the Xr size/ergonomics is good for me, or if it's at least not any worse than the Xs, then Xr it is. But if the Xs size is better suited for me than the Xr, then I have a second decision to make: is the extra $250 worth it? For me, size/ergonomics is more important than OLED vs LED and DPI.

I’m going to go and check the size too. But if the Xr feels wrong or there’s anything I don’t like about it I’ll keep the 8.

I just can’t bring myself to pay £1000 for a phone. I honestly don’t care what specs it’s got or what it does for me personally it’s not worth a grand.

Reactions: Lankyman

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Am I the only person who doesn't get this whole pre-order business? I want to look at a product in the flesh before I make a purchase (any product). I then want to watch and read a few reviews on said product.

It's only at this point that I am ready to make my decision.

Reactions: sahajesh

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Am I the only person who doesn't get this whole pre-order business? I want to look at a product in the flesh before I make a purchase (any product). I then want to watch and read a few reviews on said product.

I’m surprise there’s no review of the product released yet :/

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

When you’ve had lots of pervious phones made by the same manufacturer you kind of know what you’re getting so that’s why it’s easy to pre order because the new phone isn’t going to be radically different. Of course if you don’t like the size and it’s a new thing for you then you have 14 days to change your mind.

I’d pre order an iPhone or Samsung without seeing the phone.

Any other phone I’d have to see in the flesh and or watch and read reviews.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
When you’ve had lots of pervious phones made by the same manufacturer you kind of know what you’re getting so that’s why it’s easy to pre order because the new phone isn’t going to be radically different. Of course if you don’t like the size and it’s a new thing for you then you have 14 days to change your mind.

I’d pre order an iPhone or Samsung without seeing the phone.

Any other phone I’d have to see in the flesh and or watch and read reviews.
I think it's a bit different this time as this new edge to edge LCD screen (which isn't edge to edge) is a whole new concept. Plus of course the camera is also different to the other models.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it's a bit different this time as this new edge to edge LCD screen (which isn't edge to edge) is a whole new concept. Plus of course the camera is also different to the other models.
It’s similar to the X/max in design. Only difference is that it has an LCD display and is made of glass and aluminium. So you kind of have an idea of what it will be like.

Of course you might be worried about it only having a 720p display but apparently the average consumer won’t notice or care about that.

Anyway it will be out to see in the shops next Friday and I guess the reviews will start coming in by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

mkjnkn

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
Call apple care and cancel. I did it after settling my IUP and they refunded Barclays within a few days

Hi - wondering if you can help me please, I’m hoping to reserve XR tomorrow on the iUP, when reserving do you pick a time slot for next Friday to go to the store, does Apple pick for you, or can I go any time on collection day to complete? Just thinking about work commitments. Cheers

Reactions: Jinjin

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Hi - wondering if you can help me please, I’m hoping to reserve XR tomorrow on the iUP, when reserving do you pick a time slot for next Friday to go to the store, does Apple pick for you, or can I go any time on collection day to complete? Just thinking about work commitments. Cheers

As mentioned you’ll get to pick a slot. They don’t mind if you’re late but you’ll just join the queue of people waiting at that time. The email for the Xs did say they wouldn’t hold it if you didn’t make it the day you reserved though

Reactions: mkjnkn

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
As mentioned you’ll get to pick a slot. They don’t mind if you’re late but you’ll just join the queue of people waiting at that time. The email for the Xs did say they wouldn’t hold it if you didn’t make it the day you reserved though

....you'll probably still have to join the queue if there are many people waiting, and you'll have to wait to be called in - I had to do this even though I arrived on time for my slot for the iPhone XS.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkjnkn

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Decision time....

Have an X on IUP, can upgrade now. Not bothered at all on Xs, thinking Xs Max going to be too big physically, the X is nice size from the older "home button" generation with screen to body ratio.

The Xr could be perfect but as never seen in flesh wondering what screen will be like and not sure on dimensions from spec sheets on physical size, it seems mighty close to the Xs Max. I'm discounting for here as know the difference in price is large from Max to Xr though.

Is it ok to reserve via IUP then go to store early see the Xr in flesh and make decision then, if don't like cancel upgrade? Or even after the reviews mid week and cancel before I even go?

Next worry is pickup Xr, hand in X then don't like Xr and then be stuck as only option is Xs/Max as X I imagine will be gone?

Thoughts? Anyone going from X to Xr "the downgrade" ?

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Decision time....

Have an X on IUP, can upgrade now. Not bothered at all on Xs, thinking Xs Max going to be too big physically, the X is nice size from the older "home button" generation with screen to body ratio.

The Xr could be perfect but as never seen in flesh wondering what screen will be like and not sure on dimensions from spec sheets on physical size, it seems mighty close to the Xs Max. I'm discounting for here as know the difference in price is large from Max to Xr though.

Is it ok to reserve via IUP then go to store early see the Xr in flesh and make decision then, if don't like cancel upgrade?

Next worry is pickup Xr, hand in X then don't like Xr and then be stuck as only option is Xs/Max as X I imagine will be gone?

Thoughts? Anyone going from X to Xr "the downgrade" ?

I'm going from an XS Max to an XR so I guess you could say I'm downgrading lol :D.

However I wanted the XR the day they unveiled it. I only ended up with a Max as it was due in my upgrade time and I wanted to get it to see how I'd get on with the larger device. I like it a lot, but it's just slightly too unwieldy but I now find the XS (reg size) to be a touch too small.

The XR is bang in between and looks like a great size. The extra depth to the device should also help as my one complaint with iPhones the last few years has been how slim they are which make them even harder to hold without a case.

I also love the colours and prefer LCD displays in the sun as they're often brighter.
So yes, kind of in the same boat.
And undecided on colour... still!

Reactions: MrMister111

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm going from an XS Max to an XR so I guess you could say I'm downgrading lol :D.

However I wanted the XR the day they unveiled it. I only ended up with a Max as it was due in my upgrade time and I wanted to get it to see how I'd get on with the larger device. I like it a lot, but it's just slightly too unwieldy but I now find the XS (reg size) to be a touch too small.

The XR is bang in between and looks like a great size. The extra depth to the device should also help as my one complaint with iPhones the last few years has been how slim they are which make them even harder to hold without a case.

I also love the colours and prefer LCD displays in the sun as they're often brighter.
So yes, kind of in the same boat.
And undecided on colour... still!

It's a lot of my thinking as well thanks. I'm just not sure how physically close they will be between Xr and Max.

Your right the X is very skinny width wise and not used to it right, the Samsung S9 is even skinnier.

My X is a 64Gb and will probably go for 128Gb as that's what had in 7+, think I'll get red as well, got a red wrap on my X at mo.

Reactions: Aneres11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.