UK iPhone 4 Updates: O2 Axes Unlimited Data and Announces Upgrade Offer, T-Mobile and 3 On Board

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Several bits of news regarding carriers for iPhone 4 in the UK have been surfacing recently, with the most notable one possibly being O2's announcement of new tariffs that no longer include unlimited data. Instead of offering unlimited data and texts across all monthly plans with call minutes being the primary differentiator, O2 is now tiering both call minutes and data across its plans.

Monthly plans begin at 100 minutes and 500 MB of data priced at £25 for a 24-month contract and £30 for an 18-month contract and ramp up to unlimited calling and 1 GB of data priced at £60/£65. A footnote to O2's pricing matrix indicates, however, that the carrier will continue running a "promotion" offering unlimited data for all smartphones until October, at which time the company will offer additional data in 500 MB (£5) and 1 GB (£10) buckets.

O2 has also announced its early upgrade policy for iPhone 4, allowing customers currently on a contract with the carrier to buy out their remaining terms at a rate of £20 per month left on their contracts, at which point customers will be eligible for new contracts at the lowest iPhone 4 prices. The early upgrade offer comes instead of the carrier's usual policy of requiring customers to pay off their contracts in full.

In other UK iPhone 4 news, both T-Mobile UK and Three UK will be offering the new iPhone, joining existing carriers O2, Orange, Vodafone, and Tesco, which operates on O2's network.

Article Link: UK iPhone 4 Updates: O2 Axes Unlimited Data and Announces Upgrade Offer, T-Mobile and 3 On Board

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Three should offer wicked data plans. :p
And also have the worst network and worst Indian Call centre of all the networks!

The last time I tried to disconnect from Three the guy kept putting me on hold every time I tried to ask him to just terminate my contract cutting me off mid-sentence. He refused to cancel it until I heard him out about reducing the monthly cost.

He wouldnt even let me speak to a manager.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I've been with O2 pay monthly for 5 years now, but the £35/m iPhone tariff is no long value for money. I know how extortionate O2 bills people for going over data allowances. :mad:

I'll be switching to Vodephone on release day I think.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
I've been with O2 pay monthly for 5 years now, but the £35/m iPhone tariff is no long value for money. I know how extortionate O2 bills people for going over data allowances. :mad:

It's no wonder they're tryin to lure existing customers in to a new contract with their early release scheme.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
And also have the worst network and worst Indian Call centre of all the networks!
Yes, I pity the fool that signs up with 3...
No word yet on the cost of the phone with each plan? O2 has traditionally offered bigger discounts on the handset the higher priced plan you get.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I'm currently with O2 on a contract that ends next month.
This has little impact on me, as I am expecting to move to Orange anyway.
Their coverage is so much better in the UK!

Is anybody actually planning on staying with O2? Speak up! :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh damn that's a bad move. An extra £10 for 1 paltry gb of data? Looks like I'll be using a different network.

Cheerio, o2.

homsar

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009

You may want to first read about how Vodafone have recently been lying to and misleading their customers.

(Orange currently offer 750MB/mo cellular + 750MB/mo on wireless, so I think O2's deal is still marginally better. Although you don't get Orange Wednesdays. Three's "unlimited" plans are, as far as I've been able to tell, an utter joke.)

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
I wish AT&T offered this range of calling plans. Instead their cheapest plan has 450 weekday minutes + thousands of nights/weekend minutes, which is overkill for anyone who isn't a social butterfly with an inability to wait until they see someone to talk to them. 100 minutes a month and half a GB of data would be plenty for me, and at 25 quid/month, easier to afford than the 70 bucks AT&T has been demanding their minimum.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
O2

These new tariffs are worse than what we have now! I thought O2 would be more competitive now that Orange, Vodafone, 3 and T-Mobile can sell iPhones. I hope the other companies will have better tariffs instead of just following suit.

fox777

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
USA
Haha hilarious that Brits are getting pwned now. I remember in all ATT bashing threads a lot of them were saying how great their UK carriers are. $25 for 200+ minutes, unlimited data plan. (somewhere in that ballpark. I just remember it was 1000x better value for money when they described it)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Because you use more than 500MB of data month on your iPhone, suuuuuuure.
Yes, I do. We can't get a good internet connection where I live. 512kbps max during the day, drops to 256kb during midday-5pm. Goes off from 5-7pm. So I swear by mobile data.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
Is anybody actually planning on staying with O2? Speak up! :p
I am.

The £35/ month plan more than covers my usage. I might even put one of my phones on a simplicity plan and *save* money (even after having to buy an iPhone 4 at PAYG prices).

In the meantime, between excessive users being limited by the plan change, an inevitible migration of disgruntled users moving to other networks, and all the improvements O2 have made as a result of being the only iPhone carrier for so long, I'm looking forward to getting the best bandwidth by staying with O2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.