UK iPhone PAYG thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyjoegibsonx, Jun 19, 2010.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Hey,

I think we need this thread because on the main UK iPhone thread, I personally find it rather confusing being a PAYG customer. Majority of people are discussing contract information and it is becoming to crazy. I don't mean to cause bother by making a new thread, but i think it will ease the pressure we're all experiencing in the lead up to the 24th. If you think that this thread is just causing more hassle, then it'll fade away.

I want this thread to be a place where UK PAYG customers can discuss & bring together information about purchasing the iPhone 4, what network their going to use, anything about micro-sims/cutup-sims, what tariffs you'll be using etc :) Basically anything relating to the iPhone on PAYG in the UK only.

I currently have a 16GB black iPhone 4 on reserve to pick up on thursday from Apple. Even though it will be unlocked I will be using an O2 PAYG sim. I will try getting a micro-sim from O2 & Orange on thursday, but if not I have PAYG sims on order from O2, Orange & GiffGaff that i will be cutting up to use :) I'm looking to use either O2s PAYG Simplicity tariff with 100mins + Unlimited texts + unlimited internet for £15 a month or just keep my current O2 PAYG sim on text&web with unlimited texts + unlimited internet for £15 a month :)

Lets get it going then :) Discuss away.....

:cool:

2. LewisFielder macrumors member

Well I reserved the 16GB iPhone 4 on pay as you go, but I'm on a contract so I'm just gonna cut it down :)

3. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

i posted this in the uk thread, kinda sums up my PAYG situation:

On the 15th Apple opened the pre orders for the iPhone 4 from their website to receive it on the 24th June. I didn’t pre order because I thought I would get it from o2 on the day since they said it would be available on PAYG at launch (and the PAYG version is usually a bit cheaper than Sim Free, and I don’t need it unlocked as I’m with o2) so, i thought i would wait.

So two days passed and apple sold over 600,000 pre orders and now the next delivery date for a pre order is the 15th JULY!!! Another MONTH!! To make things worse, o2 changed the info on their website saying Pay As You Go will no longer be available at launch, another few months’ time. GREAT. So I could have pre ordered on the 15th and got it on Thursday. Now I have pre ordered and it’s going to be delivered in a MONTH!!!

So I went to the apple store and spoke to one of their staff to ask about how many will be in stock, and he was like "I can’t tell you anything, its secret" so i was like omg, it’s a phone. He said people will be cueing from 4am on the 24th and there will be a limited amount in stock.

So, I have it pre ordered for a MONTHS time, but I am going to go down on Thursday early (they open at 8) and cue up like a geek.

But after all, I suppose it only is a phone. I'm just annoyed because I could have pre ordered on the 15th anyway and cancelled it if I acquired it elsewhere. So I’m kicking myself! Haha! But, Apple act like it’s the Holy Grail, and o2 don’t have a clue about anything - I seemed to know more about their tariffs than they do.

:)

4. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you mean your going to cancel your contract and go PAYG?

Or that your going for the PAYG iPhone (which will be unlocked) and just cutting your contract sim up and putting it in? :)

5. LewisFielder macrumors member

Spot on my friend.

6. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello :)

I actually quoted your post in the other thread :) I understand your frustration and would be in the same situation myself had I not reserved a model on the 15th. Unfortuantly that option is now not available so i wish the best of luck to you on thursday and hope that you get it :) if not then you'll have a back up plan, although not the most ideal, but you'll for sure get an iPhone :)

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

8. LewisFielder macrumors member

I'm going to my mall at 5am and I've reserved one!

9. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Great!

It might be of interest to you that I noticed someone had actually got their hands on a pay monthly micro sim card from o2. You could ask o2 about how you could go about getting yourself one, however im not sure 100% how to go about getting your normal sim transfered over to the micro sim. Although i think you can so it online, but might be worth asking o2 when you ask about getting a sim. If that fails .... Cut it up :) lol

10. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you pre ordered online, when you getting it delivered? Or you going to a store on thursday?

11. LewisFielder macrumors member

I'm on orange (i know I suck). But they wont let me have a microsim yet, so I'm gonna wait and go on o2 PAYG for a bit and have my orange contract on amotroalla haha! And like I said I'm at bluewater at 5am in Kent :)

12. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome :) then i think you'll for sure get one. I phoned my local store and they confirmed that you can pop in any time to pick it up if you have reserved :) however im taking it with a pinch of salt and will be going down early as possible on thursday to que :)

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Pre-ordered online, and getting it delivered around the 5th June. Unfortunately, the "Sorry, we were unable to save your order" took up about 2 hours of my time, with the site being so slow, and I gave up for the day. I'm not too eager to have it in my hands asap, but as long as I have it before the 22nd July, I'm fine.

14. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgive me, i had quite a bit of difficulty understand your post did mean You have a contract with orange and they wont send out a microsim to tranfer to use in the iphone so are going to use ur contract in a motorola, use o2 payg until you can get ur contract over to microsim? Have you thought about cutting down your sim? Or do you not want to do that?

15. LewisFielder macrumors member

Again, spot on. Orange said to me to cut it down, I will bit I need some practise, so I ordered 4 sims from orange. So I'll just go in o2 for a little bit. Sorry about the typing, on my iPad!

16. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

5th june? Wish i pre ordered online now!! Jkjk lol. Thats unfortunate but 5th july (which i assume you meant) isnt too long to wait :) infact that date is my birthday and i know its not far away! :D

17. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Whoops, I did indeed.

Ah, well, I'll put a reminder in Calendar to wish you a happy birthday :D
    PS, it could come on the 6th, or much later if Apple has issues. :( hopefully not!

18. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Woo! Lol. They did!? I thought the carriers would be against it! Oh well lol. I found a very useful site that helped me cut down to microsim. I wish i could link you but i cant recall the site. But im sure googling will help you out :) it might also be a help if you ordered a free ipad sim an used that as a reference. I have done this and might try transfering my PAYG sim over, as quite some people have confirmed it works...unfortuantly only with PAYG an not contract sims.

Dont worry about it! Im typing on my ipad too :)

19. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

No worries :)

Haha thats kind of you :cool:
    I hope it comes as soon as possible for you. Hopefully there are no issues. I remember a post in the other uk iphone thread where the user asked what we'd all do if that icelandic volcano erupted again and delayed flights with iphones on it :eek: lets hope not!! Lol

20. LewisFielder macrumors member

Yeah I'll have a go, were can I get a free iPad sim?

21. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

I pre ordered mine, should be coming on 24th june. Getting my micro sim on monday from O2! Although, anyones pre order have their shipping status changed to prepared for shipping o_O? It's bothering me how I was 600 down now 600 up again -.-

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

:) If that happens, I would truly scream in horror. The iPhone isn't the only thing I'm expecting. :s

http://freesim.o2.co.uk/sKTLPi92

23. ttopp macrumors regular

I'm on simplicity 20 I get unlimited data/web 600 anytim talk time 1200 txt mms take 4 txt off my totals. My question if I get my iPhone from apple kin I get a microsim Fi o2 and keep my tarrif or do I have to go on the new payg tariffs??

24. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Il be going for the 16gb one from apple for the £500 tag. Then il take the tesco sim out my current mobile and chop it down to work in the iphone 4.

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The new PAYG tariffs are probably nearly identical to the current line. If you get a new MicroSim, and don't port over what you have, then you're on the new tariffs.

Hope it goes well :)