iPhone XS Max UK Mobile reception - iPhone XS Max

djrm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
So im fully aware of this thread HERE but it seems to be very US focused.

Is anyone else having issue with terrible reception in the UK on the XS MAX? Im forever being told I cant be heard and have to go outside for them to hear me! My iPhone X was better by a mile in the same locations.

Really considering taking it back by Friday (14 day cooling off last day) as from the other thread it would seem as this isn't a case of just a software fix.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
What network are you on?
I've had a few issues like that when WiFi calling was enabled on EE

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Is anyone else having issue with terrible reception in the UK on the XS MAX? Im forever being told I cant be heard and have to go outside for them to hear me! My iPhone X was better by a mile in the same locations.

Really considering taking it back by Friday (14 day cooling off last day) as from the other thread it would seem as this isn't a case of just a software fix.
On O2 here and I’m not seeing any difference between my Xs Max and my 7+.

HighFlyingBirds

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2011

I’ve got the Xs and it’s been fine so far.

One thing I did notice was when I updated my iPhone 8 to iOS 12 I started to get poor reception. From always being connected to 4G and getting decent speeds, I started struggling to get a 4G signal and received poor speeds on 3G.

My Xs doesn’t suffer this at all.

The iPhone 8 is now fine after doing a complete reinstall and it now has a different iCloud account signed in.

This suggests that it is software related and it should be fixable with an update.

maka344

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I’m on EE and have had zero issues and no dropped calls. Speeds are same and signal is better on the same train commute.

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
You can see not all phones are the same, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone SE both on EE on my desk.

Band 3 4G: 1800MHz
Band 20 4G: 800MHz

Without seeing the band it looks like the SE has better reception than the 6 Plus as it is displaying more bars but the SE can't find the 1800MHz from a mast 1 mile way where my 6 plus can so its using low frequency band 20 from a mast nearly 4 miles away.

Attachments

nwlondonlad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
I’m on ee and so far mine has been fine. I purchased my Max in Vegas so I imagined I’d get the issue but so far so good touch wood.

killhippie

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2016
UK
On EE with my XS purchased from Apple, signal seems fine, call quality is amazing compared with my 7

marlman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I did not think I had a problem because I have had no problems where I live but once a month i have to go out of my area.

I use Apple Music via Bluetooth in my car and it always works great but I noticed that has I drove through a small village the music stopped and the display showed no signal. This never happened with my 8 +. Driving past the village and the music came back on. This happened on the way back as well.

So I can only assume it does not like a low signal not a deal breaker for me but can see it could be s big problem for travellers and business people which is not good.

I am using a Xs Max and with O2

djrm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
So strange the other thread is heading toward 2000 posts but yet nobody here is the UK is experiencing the same thing. Im starting to think I need to swap my phone reading the posts here.

shieldcy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Can anyone else in Europe (the UK seems to be fine so far) let us know whether they are facing the lte wifi signal issue?

nixx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
Vodafone user here. Ran speed tests on my iPhone 8 Plus just before upgrading to XS MAX and after and saw no difference 36 Mbps down / 17 Mbps up. Calls work fine.

However my Max has the chargegate issues and Wi-fi issues where it will simply not lock onto the faster 5ghz Wi-Fi signals. It wants to use the slower 2.4ghz all the time.

My Max also has hard crashed (black screen and reboot) twice when using my AirPods & soundcloud and just walking down the road with the phone in my pocket.