Ultimate Sizing Guide for Watch By An Actual Stylist.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macAllen, Apr 10, 2015.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'm such an A that i can't even fudge a B out of it if i tried!

2. macAllen thread starter macrumors 6502

macAllen

I'm a fashion stylist for one of my jobs. So it's my job to come up with ways to explain what looks good. Explaining complicated stuff into layman's terms. I just looked for something that everyone has to compare and have a sure fire way to get a idea across.

It's not. To my knowledge my Credit Cards can't tell atmospheric pressure :p

Hey when it comes to fashion. Fashion is fashion. If you've got the confidence why not!?

I'm glad that you found this excellent. Was every bit of my intentions! So you chose to have a "watch" look rather than the "Over sized Smart Watch" look. But for me I still am upset that it's not a large screen. But hey.... Coming from a Pebble watch, I think it's time for a change .

3. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

Thanks for the guide! I'm a B! Ordered a 42mm :)
    I'm still worried it my look ridiculous on my wrist but I was told my current watch looks big and the 42mm is smaller.

4. A5BlackEd macrumors newbie

Useful guide as everyone has a card to hand... I'm right on borderline but going to go with 38mm as I don't want it to stand out too much

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

A credit card is about 54mm in width. It's an ingenious idea.

----------

Awesome idea- thanks for sharing. I see that so much on here- about circumference rather than width. Glad I measured both before preordering at 2am 10 Apr.

6. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

7. macAllen thread starter macrumors 6502

macAllen

8. iluvgadgets macrumors regular

Interesting. I have a really tiny wrist, I ordered the 38m. I have the Samsung gear and it swallows my wrist!!

9. spytech macrumors regular

Quite a nice guide. I'm a B, and as I've realised I can either go 38 or 42... I don't want anything big or standing out too much, but I definitely want the smartwatch look. I guess I'll go 42mm!

10. chrismac2 macrumors regular

chrismac2

I would HIGHLY recommend going to try one on. I didn't even have a reservation, just walked in and was able to try them on last night.

I have a small wrist. Using the credit card example here, looking straight down, my wrist is just barely visible on either side of the card.

But when I tried on the 38mm, it just looked too small, it looked like I was wearing a ladies' watch.

The 42mm looked great....it looked right. It may be trending a little large but it did not look odd. It looked and felt right.

YMMV, though, so, again, you should really try them out in the store. I had already pre-ordered a 42mm, so this made me feel better about my purchase.

11. trek360 macrumors 6502

Thanks OP!

Great way to look at it. I think the fact the watch case is more rectangular is a factor as well compared to a 38 or 42mm round one.

12. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

If you are B and go with the 38mm you can definitely tell that the watch doesn't fill up your wrist, but it won't look odd to anyone else. 42mm may be the way to go but make sure it's not too big!

13. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

I'm type A and tried the 42mm on. It looks amazing and was the perfect size (still smaller than my wrist). So this guide is ********.

14. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

This^

As soon as I tried on the 38mm I thought "wow its tiny", but after having a few pictures taken and looking at them afterwards, from the outside perspective it looks like a perfect fit.

15. slicecom macrumors 68020

Calm down. If you like it, then get that size. To some, including myself, it looks silly/dorky to have a watch that dominates your wrist, but to others maybe the 38mm on my 180mm wrist looks silly:

[​IMG]

16. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

Sorry, but your guide is terrible. I'm a C and 38mm is perfect for me. 42mm look way to big and geeky.

P.S. I usually wear 35-37mm dress watches and 38-40 sport watches.

17. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I wouldn't listen to this guide

Why is this a sticky? The rule of thumb is if you're a man get 42mm, women 38mm. Then if you're still confused go to the Apple Store.

18. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

:rolleyes:

19. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting this, OP. I had sort of assumed it 42mm = male, 38mm = female, but that's not really true. And I have small wrists and hands for a guy, so I'm leaning toward the 38mm now whereas before I had not even considered it. Thanks!

20. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Exactly. The 38mm seems to wear like most analogue watches in the 35-40mm range, whereas the 42mm looks oversized in the large majority of wrist shots that I've seen. Since these watches are all "dial" (screen) they wear large on the wrist.

The thing is, some buy the oversized, 46mm+ watches at Macy's and are happy with them, while others spend $50K on a Patek that's only 36mm. I've always leaned toward the classic side of the scale, like your measurements indicate, and I'm not a small man. All of my watches are 35-40mm, too.

The other thing about the 38mm being so nice and small is that it doesn't immediately scream smartwatch.

21. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Sorry to say, wrist shots are meaningless. You have to try one on to be sure. The 42mm does not look big in person at all. It looks normal size. The 38mm definitely looks small no matter what your wrist size. Try them on and decide for yourself.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Everyone should go on their phones and do this.

23. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

Im B, where my wrist is just about even with the card.

Ive tried on boh the 42 and 38.

Even the 42 looks small to me in person. It looks huge in the pics i took, but in person looked surprisingly small.

I dont think this watch will look oversized on anyone but anorexics and prepubescent girls.

24. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou