Um, why are we still using mouses?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by motoleo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I used to use a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3500. It was small, it made an annoying clicking noise- why put up with that?

[​IMG]

I couldn't find anything acceptable to replace it. I just wanted a plain black mouse. No frilly colors or designs.

Then I tried using my iPhone as a wireless mouse. It works better than any mouse I've ever owned in my life. And then the thought came to me. Why am I using an old fashioned mouse when the iPhone is so much better? It's feels so natural. It not only replaces the mouse, it also replaces the track pad. The precision is crazy! I can navigate around Windows 7 like never before.

[​IMG]

You get all sorts of multitouch gestures- it's actually the best mouse I've ever owned.

It's effortless. It's one less thing I need to carry. It almost makes me feel like I'm using a touchscreen laptop.

And what's more- what mouse can play music???

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Because 'mice' are a standard interface and cheap too

3. Mouseinhat macrumors newbie

4. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

The app is Mobile Mouse. I'm quite fascinated with it. What other mouse allows you to type from it?

I'm thinking, well, I've got my iPhone plugged into my PC when I'm using it anyway, I'm going to try to go 30 days without touching a mouse.

5. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

You should also look into one that lets you use a keyboard and mouse. This could be useful in entertainment purposes, like a MacMini connected to your TV set.

Obviously if you have a laptop it's probably considerably easier to type on a regular keyboard.

I guess the real question is if you could use Siri on your iPhone and have it type on your Mac. I think the answer is yes. :)

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

A mouse slows down ones work flow, and increases errors. Learning how to use your keyboard with it's various keyboard shortcuts will speed up computing significantly. I haven't used a mouse in years, and only use gestures on the trackpad of my MBP when they are advantageous.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Its a fad. I'll find apps like this, use them for a week then never touch them again. Like the Fios remote control app. Technically its better then the supplied remote because it can display the guide and such but in the end I prefer the standard remote control. Why would I want my 600 dollar phone to be a 2 dollar mouse? Besides I'm on my phone 90% of the time anyway. Although the app looks better then a mouse Ill still prefer the mouse.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

On Mac, i'm not using a mouse other than for gaming.

On PC, well the trackpads suck so i am using a mouse.

edit:
    I'll have to give this a go on my PC...

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

And they are very accurate.

10. motoleo, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

throAU, you should, I may not be able to go back to using the mouse- it hurt my hands.

With this app, I can sit back and control my laptop like a remote control. I can zoom in- and I mean REALLY zoom in, and I can use that 3D window slider thing, that I couldn't do with a mouse, and I can now scroll like nobody's business. It's so fluid- so in a way, it's unlocked features of Windows 7 that wasn't easily accessible before. I wonder how this will work with Windows 8.

[​IMG]

Just a few points, um, I'd like to know where you found a mobile mouse for $2? LoL. But I'm liking the idea of never having to have a mouse- the post-mouse age.

Once you get used to it...

11. blue43fan macrumors regular

FYI, both "mouses" and "mice" are correct when referring to the computer peripheral. I was curious a while ago so I looked it up. :)

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why do u start sooo many new threads???

13. motoleo, Feb 25, 2012

motoleo

lol

Well, the thought here was, "What's more accurate than your own fingers?" Is it practical? I'll see.

Okay, I'm gonna try this. I'll ditch my old-fashioned mouse for like- a week. Then I'll come back and say what the result is.

Will I come back to the mouse? Who knows?

Mac or Windows PC..?? I think you would be right. In which case, that would be amazing.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I used Apple's magic trackpad for awhile. It is nice, but I prefer a mouse.

15. motoleo, Feb 25, 2012

motoleo

Also, the iPhone is flat, so when you're scrolling, it kind of feels like your touching the webpage, which I like.

When will we be able to do away with the mouse for good?

[​IMG]

16. TreyCox macrumors regular

I love my Magic Mouse and wouldn't want anything else as of right now.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

For whatever reasons, I find it is much easier and faster to move the mouse than the trackpad

18. motoleo, Feb 25, 2012

motoleo

I'm replying to this message with my laptop, but I'm typing it on the iPhone. I'm using it like a remote control.

I think you may be right. but isn't that just because of the way the interface was designed?

With this app, I'm navigating Windows 7 in a whole new way. I think technology like this could open doors.

Tactile feedback would help I think. If you want to look at the screen and type.

But the best thing about this, is that it frees up a USB port.

19. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I have this app. It is pretty decent and does give you more of a connected feel than a mouse. Keyboard shortcuts are far better and faster. Once you have learned and set them. You're likely to never go back to using a mouse or the trackpad.

The issue that arises with apps like this is, what happens when I get call? Bluetooth yes, but I use my iPhone for business and when I'm talking to a customer I only want my iPhone doing a couple things. Controlling my inputs on my Mac isn't one of them.

They also have this app for the iPad.

20. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

You've always got the trackpad. I don't really like mouses anymore. It's like my iPhone is more connected to my laptop than a mouse ever was. It feels so natural.

21. wongster41 macrumors regular

I would like to see you play first person shooter games on an iphone vs a mouse.

22. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Reaching straight for the iPhone to type this reply, I'm starting to fall in love with this. Why didn't our mice have keyboards on them before?

I'll try it, I'm adventurous, is there any free ones I can download? We'll play against each other.

I'm playing Tomb Raider right now...it's fairing pretty well.. :D!

23. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You lost me at typing. I'm a touch typist and even though I like the keyboard on the iPhone and now like Siri dictation better, it is no replacement for a physical keyboard. Obviously not a problem if you're just surfing. :)

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, I can tell you that no track-pad is ever going to beat a mouse for gaming. Not even controllers specifically designed for gaming have done that. I would also think that a mouse is better suited for for certain situations such as CAD, however I have seen those stylus type pads for that as well (blanking on the name). In short, I think trackpad type navigation is great for something like a notebook, but the mouse just works better for a stationary computer for most tasks. It's like reinventing the steering wheel. It's been around for ages, it works, so is there really a need?

25. Rampant.A.I., Feb 25, 2012

Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I use MobileMouse Pro constantly, but it's not a mouse replacement. It's a remote. If you've only ever used cheap mice then sure, I could see it being "better" for some uses. But, it's not a replacement for my Logitech G9x. I'll keep my 4 programmable physical buttons and scroll wheel functions for gaming, tyvm.

As far as laptops, I'm a laptop only Mac user. I've never bought a desktop, but I've always carried a mouse for any significant work away from home, and had a quality mouse at home. IMO the trackpad is better than a pointer nub, but that's about it: I prefer a mouse for just about everything but sheer portability.