Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Just grabbed a sapphire pulse RX 580. Tested in a windows PC and working, booting into OSX shoews an R9xx. Can't boot into windows, and when trying to install the drivers it gives me error 173 that no compatible AMD hardward is connected.

I can't connect both the GTX680 and the RX580 at the same time, so not sure how to get further here. How do I install the AMD drivers for the RX580 without being able to boot into windows to do it?

Many thanks!

5,1 running Windows 7.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
My "Bootcamp solution" is . . don't use Bootcamp at all unless you really need to use Win for serious gaming/work projects

I have installed Win 7 & Win 8,1 on their own dedicated spinner HDD's.

It helps if you have a flashed HD 5770, 5870, 7950 = R9 280X to begin with. . plus one Sierra or High Sierra installed drive + a Win7 / Win 8,1 ) target drive + a Win 7, 8,1 install CD ONLY present.

Boot using Option Key.. wait for the EFI screen to come up - your Win 7 or Win 8,1 installation CD should eventually show up. Select Win 7 and boot. . eg as Win 7 boots you'll only see a black screen with a flashing cursor. . . be patient. . .it WILL start the installation process eventually.

HD 7950 + 7970 + R9 280X ( & other GPU's ) all have a 2 bios switch. Assuming that you have flashed your HD7xxx GPU to the the right side bios switch position .. Win 7 at least will be very easy to install.

This worked for me from Mavericks all the way through to High Sierra 10.13.6.

Mojave I just do not trust yet. Apple's ramming unrefined OS updates down our throats without refining previous upgrades is just lazy. Snow Leopard went to 10.6.8 and in it's day was reliable & secure.
As it is we have barely had time to get acquainted with High Sierra = few memorable posts relating to Sierra or HS glaring errors

Maybe I'll go to Mojave a year after if goes GM .. should be interesting to see how Mojave is respected 6 months from now. High Sierra seems at least for me . . stable and efficient. . time will tell.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
My "Bootcamp solution" is . . don't use Bootcamp at all unless you really need to use Win for serious gaming/work projects

I have installed Win 7 & Win 8,1 on their own dedicated spinner HDD's.

It helps if you have a flashed HD 5770, 5870, 7950 = R9 280X to begin with. . plus one Sierra or High Sierra installed drive + a Win7 / Win 8,1 ) target drive + a Win 7, 8,1 install CD ONLY present.

Boot using Option Key.. wait for the EFI screen to come up - your Win 7 or Win 8,1 installation CD should eventually show up. Select Win 7 and boot. . eg as Win 7 boots you'll only see a black screen with a flashing cursor. . . be patient. . .it WILL start the installation process eventually.

HD 7950 + 7970 + R9 280X ( & other GPU's ) all have a 2 bios switch. Assuming that you have flashed your HD7xxx GPU to the the right side bios switch position .. Win 7 at least will be very easy to install.

This worked for me from Mavericks all the way through to High Sierra 10.13.6.

Mojave I just do not trust yet. Apple's ramming unrefined OS updates down our throats without refining previous upgrades is just lazy. Snow Leopard went to 10.6.8 and in it's day was reliable & secure.
As it is we have barely had time to get acquainted with High Sierra = few memorable posts relating to Sierra or HS glaring errors

Maybe I'll go to Mojave a year after if goes GM .. should be interesting to see how Mojave is respected 6 months from now. High Sierra seems at least for me . . stable and efficient. . time will tell.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Windows 7 is installed and running great. Wokrs fine with my GTX 680. I'm trying to get my computer to boot into windows with the RX 580. I hold the option key, wait ages, hit tab once and enter, and it should boot, but nothing. Restarting from Mac into Windows also doesn't work. As soon as I swap the cards again all is fine. Any tutorial I've found online seems to just throw the RX 580 into the machine and boots into windows where drivers can be installed.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
booting into OSX shoews an R9xx.

Would upgrading to High Sierra help?

Yes, for GPU ident.
[doublepost=1537640407][/doublepost]
This thread seems to say that windows 7 works better. Would upgrading to High Sierra help? I really don't want to but will give that a go.

I don’t know how better it is if you can’t even install the driver you want.

Windows 10 works well on cMP with RX580 is a fact, plenty of us doing that right now.

Reactions: Selsk and Squuiid

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Yes, for GPU ident.
[doublepost=1537640407][/doublepost]

I don’t know how better it is if you can’t even install the driver you want.

Windows 10 works well on cMP with RX580 is a fact, plenty of us doing that right now.

If I can't boot into windows with the RX580 in the machine to install the drivers, being on windows 7 or 10 won't make a difference - trying to install the drivers for the RX 580 with the GTX 680 in the machine gave the error in my OP. The point was I couldn't boot into windows with the RX580 in the machine, and couldn't install the drivers because the RX580 needs to be in the machine to install the drivers.

I've eventually upgraded to High Sierra and the card still shows as AMD R9 xxx 8GB in OSX.

I managed to get into windows by setting the bootcamp partition as the bootdrive in OSX, but then was unable to get back into OSX without resetting PRAM. So now I either boot "permanently" into windows, or into OSX. I obviously have no bootscreen so can't use the alt selection method to switch either; even blind as nothing reacts to my keyboard.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If I can't boot into windows with the RX580 in the machine to install the drivers, being on windows 7 or 10 won't make a difference - trying to install the drivers for the RX 580 with the GTX 680 in the machine gave the error in my OP. The point was I couldn't boot into windows with the RX580 in the machine, and couldn't install the drivers because the RX580 needs to be in the machine to install the drivers.

I've eventually upgraded to High Sierra and the card still shows as AMD R9 xxx 8GB in OSX.

I managed to get into windows by setting the bootcamp partition as the bootdrive in OSX, but then was unable to get back into OSX without resetting PRAM. So now I either boot "permanently" into windows, or into OSX. I obviously have no bootscreen so can't use the alt selection method to switch either; even blind as nothing reacts to my keyboard.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-boot-camp-without-a-boot-screen.2114788/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.