Unboxing Video of MacBook Air, More Notes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

- MacRumors forum member desenso posts a complete unboxing video of the new MacBook Air.
    - Macworld posts their review of the MacBook Air and makes an interesting point about the seemingly small weight difference that makes the MacBook Air appealing:One reason I loved the 12-inch PowerBook G4 was that it crossed some hard-to-define weight barrier, one I hadnt even been aware of until I started using a laptop that crossed it. The 12-inch PowerBook was so small and light that carrying my laptop around with me became an afterthought. Instead of lugging a 15-inch PowerBook from place to place, I could idly hold the 12-inch model in one hand. The MacBook Air takes that easy feeling to an extreme
    - The MacBook Airs were reportedly pulled from the 5th Avenue NYC Apple Store for now. They will likely return on Friday which is the official retail launch of the MacBook Air. Video of MacBook Airs at 5th Ave store.
    - For those who are need to fit their applications into their 64GB or 80GB MacBook Air might find some use in the Xslimmer application that was included in a recent software bundle. Xslimmer strips down applications to reduce file size but does not impact functionality. Update: Trimmit is a free alternative.
    - The custom Intel CPU that powers the MacBook Air may be coming to PCs.
    - Gizmodo reposted the MacBook Air tear down photos and video.

Ongoing discussion in our MacBook Air forum.

Article Link: Unboxing Video of MacBook Air, More Notes

2. mangis macrumors member

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

So is there any official word about them being in stock on Friday or are we all still guessing?

4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well... its clear they will be on display on Fri at most stores. Not clear if they will have stock however.

6. dezeinstein macrumors member

That video is more effective than Ambien.

I still want one.

7. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i am still of two minds of this thing yes looks stunning lacks features i would need. Wirless is fine but i dont fancy mucking around with other computers to install stuff ...

8. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

That's it! I've had enough ...

I'm going to the Apple Store to test drive one of these babies. Hopefully, I can get rid of my C2D MBP for one of these.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Cool as that is, it doesn't suit my needs or my price range, but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money and the powerful computer to make up for it's deficiencies.

10. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

I have new MBP... but after watching that video, I still want one!! Even though I have no use for it. Damn you Apple! :)

11. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

12. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

If you watch the video the bloke taking the laptop apart suddenly grows an extra pair of hands.

If thats what a MacBook Air does I don't think I want one!

13. hhaeschen macrumors regular

Now if that isn't a strange thing to do... :rolleyes:

14. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Wooooaaaaaah! is that guy a surgeon??? did you see the size of his scissors and the speed that he zipped open the wrapping :eek:

15. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

The MBA does look the sex, it's undeniable. So we all think the new MBP will get the same keyboard, yes?

16. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well at least I hope I'll get to play with one in the store. lol

17. TRYAMANA macrumors newbie

18. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Because apps weren't meant to be bloated

For those who haven't purchased the MacUpdate software bundle there is also Trimmit for removing unnecesary files and reducing file size of Applications.

Personally I believe this to be a much better application than Xslimmer and you can verify what its actually doing behind the scenes by looking at the shell script inside the bundle.

19. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

:eek: when it was pulled out of the box for the first time.

Wow. I can't wait to take a look. Say what you like about features, the engineering is top draw.

Best looking laptop in the range by a good distance. Very minimal.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

21. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I need to stop watching new Apple product unboxing videos. Every time I watch one, I end up wanting the product. Now I really want a MacBook Air, but I don't even need one.

22. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

When it was pulled out of the box, the MacBook Air looked so small as in like flat... :eek: Man, it looks really thin. Gosh... :D

Cheers! :apple:

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Man, that video made me really want the MacBook Air. It looks so sexy.

But I just had to remind myself ot the hardware under that beautiful shell, and I'm happy with my MacBook Pro again.

Not saying the hardware sucks, just that the hardware in the MBP suits me better. (Yes, gaming. :D)

24. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

despite all the negativities, i want one too!

25. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

So bloody typical. All the whiners always complain everytime some Apple product comes out.. but the minute the suckers see it in person.. they want it. :D