Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
WTF? To attempt, a little at least to answer the part I can fathom ... there is no reciprocal right in reverse. I cannot magically shoot a deer or a wild boar or a buzzard and say that that one is somehow saved, bullet proof .. but others can come and kill. The way I see it is that people come from near and far to where I live and then destroy and kill all the wonderful things there which makes it a less rich, diverse and wonderful place to live. And what I want I cannot make manifest as it cannot be made true. Moreover, hunters have shot two of my cats, one of which died. Last weekend we had hounds trying to get through the cat flap in my front door. They were howling, calling others to my house, which is isolated btw, and when you see the hunters themselves they are invariably monosyllabic mannerless c*nts, often drunk who are happy not to give a f*ck because it's someone else's grievance and they're no where near home.

henri, there are 2 types of people in this world, complainers and doers. obviously you are the former. i feel for you wrt your cat and the hounds coming in, but call the authorities then.

I'm ashamed of those hunters b/c I hunt and we're not all like that. in fact, i would be kicking their a$$ if i saw them doing that.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Then report them. I believe there are licensing laws in every state. I know my Dad has reported people before.

I don't hunt, but we get more people than you'd realize doing this reported through the radio station where I work. It seems a lot of hunters are just waaay to eager to grab the gun and blast without appreciating the responsibility.

And the animals rights thing - I've got my opinions on that but my last post wasn't intended to be taken either way, really.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
This is not directed at the OP necessarily, but to the rest voicing their opinion and laughter at the attacked hunter.

I feel I have to chime in here b/c lately, i’ve been talking with some anti-hunters and some are too emotionally charged to be rational and some are simply uneducated about hunting (not criticizing the latter...just a fact). I don’t care if someone is gay, black, white, asian, vegan or whatever......but i don’t hatefully go after those folks.

I'm a hunter and proud of it. I’m not here to turn your opinion to love hunting. Believe in what you want, but just know the facts before piping off. I’m here to explain some reasons why I hunt and to maybe provide some information if you’re lacking knowledge about hunting.

the one thing that kills me about anti-hunters is that the majority seem to be vegans (I could be wrong, but it seems every time there is a complaining anti-hunter, they don't eat meat). now i have nothing against vegans....to each their own. what bothers me is that these vegans are peace loving, don't-hurt-the-animals - which is fine too. i get that.

BUT then they preach how they should HURT hunters, sabotage their treestands or atvs, get in the way of a hunt (which is pretty much idiotic btw) and like the first few tasteless posts in this thread, LAUGH when a hunter....ie. another person.....is hurt.

to me, that is completely hypocritical of what they believe in. if you're a peace lover, then it should be 100% of the time no? i’ve had an anti-hunter call me a ‘terrorist’ of the forest believe it or not...then this individual sent me a link for a video on how to disrupt a hunter’s day (walk during their hunt, destroy their stand and/or atv). Who is the real terrorist?

of course, there is the other side of anti-hunters who are meat-eaters. it’s hypocritical of them to be complaining when they go buy meat at the grocery store - do you think they ask the cows to lie down and die?! “hey mr and mrs cow, we need an order of side ribs..do you think you could spare some...har har.???” One can argue that a cow slaughter is more humane, but not with rifle, muzzle or shotgun hunting. Animals can be taken very quickly and in some cases, just as fast if not faster than a cow.

Personally, I’m not a bow hunter and I don’t like the idea of an animal running away wounded as the hunter waits for it to lay down and die while suffering. That bothers me and is a reason why i’ll never bow hunt - despite the challenges in doing so.

I’m not saying anti-hunters should embrace hunting - maybe just don’t be so emotionally against hunting then. Meat eating anti-hunters have no right whatsoever to be angry with hunters - so hypocritical it’s embarrassing.

Someone has farmed that meat for you - hunters just get their own. And, my meat is better than what you get - it’s free range, not pumped full of chemicals to look red in the stores and not fed & bred to fat. Plus, to boot, because these animals are free range and live in the wild, their meat is very lean to start with b/c they have to burn energy to survive. I’ve been lucky enough that I haven’t had to buy a cent of red meat in 7 years. I’ve had roasts, burger, sausages, steaks and stew right in my freezer. (pat on the back)

i won’t say i’ve saved money b/c there is the rest of the hunting costs involved, but saved time and put better food on our plates, definitely.

The subject of population control has come up - Native Indians farmed the land properly with their hunting. The white man came and screwed it all up - not on purpose, but with a massive population explosion. How did they manage to survive? By hunting and in a few cases (buffalo, turkeys for example), they pretty much eliminated the species sadly. Here in Canada for example, turkeys were native to Ontario, but they disappeared for the aforementioned reason. The OFAH (Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters) traded some wolves with Ohio (I think?) or another US state and they brought the turkey back to Ontario. Why? Because it was part of our heritage and yes, to hunt (and supposed they are fantastic to eat...I haven’t had one yet).

Someone mentioned removing deer’s natural predators, but i’m not sure we did that. What we did do, is insert humans as a big time natural predator. Right or wrong, it happened. And now, we have to continue being a predator to help balance the populations b/c we screwed it up. I know some folks will say, “hey...use deer birth control”. They’ve tried that and it’s incredibly expensive. Unless you, the taxpayer, want to pay for it...it’s not going to work. Plus, whether you like it or not, hunting does pump millions of dollars into local economies. Do have a report to back that up? heck no, but just look in your local areas during hunting season and/or check a Cabela’s, Big Bass Pro etc.... look at the product being moved. Maybe call your local natural resources office and ask for stats on license sales etc...

If populations are left unbalanced, the deer get sick - diseases run rampant and they don’t have enough food to eat to the population actually suffers. If you’ve ever heard of a deer cull in your area, that would be why. I don’t know about you, but I think a shot deer is far better off than a starving animal.

Henri mentioned some idiot hunters and unfortunately, they do ruin our reputation. It disgusts me when i hear of hunters doing what he described. For the vast majority, we’re not like that. I’m a very law abiding individual....never been in trouble with the law, take care of my kids, don’t drink excessively or I’m a good guy....plus, a mac user so i can’t be THAT bad :)

Hunters put more money into conservation I bet than PETA or any other anti-hunting group. Sure, yes....a large part of that reason is to continue hunting. A big part of it is also because we LOVE the forests and outdoors. Make fun of us sure, but i bet we get out into the woods far more than the anti-hunters or people who curse us. Just asking a question, but when was the last time you went for a walk deep in the bush to a place where people probably haven’t been in years? Chances are it’s been a long, long time.

If I harvest an animal, that’s the icing on the cake. Enjoying and appreciating nature for what it is, the camaraderie of hunt camp and the knowledge that I’m taking care of myself while in the bush (ie. navigation, eating, how and where to walk, understanding the forest) are reasons why I hunt. lots of people like vacations to resorts and cruises, but I personally don’t. We’ve become a lazy society where we work so hard that we long to sit, be fed and entertained. Again, to each their own, but I’m much prefer to entertain myself and live. Maybe if more people hunted, folks would have a stronger appreciation for nature and might take a better stance at protecting it instead of dwelling in the city and yelling at hunters (I realize not all anti-hunters live in the city, but you get my point :).

so edesignuk, i don't know if that qualifies as a 'need to kill to eat', but hate me or not, those are my reasons for doing so.

Now, onto the original story. It would be nice to have perhaps better or more concise reporting. I quickly googled and found 2 other articles which pretty much said the same thing. As a hunter, I wonder what he was doing, but it says he made 2 well placed shots. With a .270, well placed shots would put a deer down. Maybe because it was a larger deer as 240 is on the bigger side (at least for here in Ontario). Deer are incredibly tough so caution is always needed when approaching a downed animal. They’re far tougher than moose as an example. Out of respect for anti-hunters, i won’t tell some stories of how far deer have been chased, but it’s truly incredible (and yes, sad the animals suffered that long :( not mockery there...the truth. I don’t like to see animals suffer.

An ethical hunter will only take a kill shot so i’d like to give the benefit of the doubt to this guy until we hear more. Maybe someone from his area will chime in if they’ve seen it on TV? He might have approached the deer too quickly after shooting it. Who knows.

Unlike others, i’m glad he’s ok and I hope he learned a lesson.

Cheers,

Keebler

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
of course, there is the other side of anti-hunters who are meat-eaters. it’s hypocritical of them to be complaining when they go buy meat at the grocery store - do you think they ask the cows to lie down and die?! “hey mr and mrs cow, we need an order of side ribs..do you think you could spare some...har har.???” One can argue that a cow slaughter is more humane, but not with rifle, muzzle or shotgun hunting. Animals can be taken very quickly and in some cases, just as fast if not faster than a cow.
It's different when you are slaughtering a chicken to feed a family of four compare to taking a gun and shooting for sport. I do have a beef against people who cry about animal cruelty and is a meat eater themselves but this is between killing for sport and killing for food.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
It's different when you are slaughtering a chicken to feed a family of four compare to taking a gun and shooting for sport. I do have a beef against people who cry about animal cruelty and is a meat eater themselves but this is between killing for sport and killing for food.

perhaps you mean killing for existence vs killing for sport?

instead of letting the butchers 'kill', i choose to harvest for myself. will i die if i don't harvest deer and other game - probably not, but i bet my diet would suffer in the long run. I believe that. I can't scientifically prove it, but i believe it.

Well spoken.

Are you saying that you don't mind hunting, but disagree with someone enjoying themselves while doing it? I'm a wee confused at how you're distinguishing the act vs. the "sport" here.

thanks.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Are you saying that you don't mind hunting, but disagree with someone enjoying themselves while doing it? I'm a wee confused at how you're distinguishing the act vs. the "sport" here.

I think what he's saying is he finds a difference between someone who hunts (and presumably enjoys it) and the person who hunts simply for the sake of killing something - simply for the sake of the thrill of it, with no respect for life.

And there is a difference - Most people who hunt don't need the meat, but like the venison and enjoy being outdoors or whatever. Then there's the hunter who doesn't eat what he shoots he kills simply for trophies and/or the thrill of the kill.

Don't misinterpret that post as one-sided; Whether you hunt or not is entirely up to you and for your own reasons - I'm only offering my take on what he meant.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I think what he's saying is he finds a difference between someone who hunts (and presumably enjoys it) and the person who hunts simply for the sake of killing something - simply for the sake of the thrill of it, with no respect for life.

And there is a difference - Most people who hunt don't need the meat, but like the venison and enjoy being outdoors or whatever. Then there's the hunter who doesn't eat what he shoots he kills simply for trophies and/or the thrill of the kill.

Don't misinterpret that post as one-sided; Whether you hunt or not is entirely up to you and for your own reasons - I'm only offering my take on what he meant.

great clarification. I don't discriminate b/n a trophy or not b/c imho, any harvested animal means success. some guys do go for the trophy and i'm always reminding them of not going for the trophy.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
If you kill the animal quickly, have respect for the animals, the forest and the surrounding area, and hunt for food, then I don't think there's a difference between a hunter and butcher. But some people hunt for the power trip. They enjoy seeing animals suffer, seeing animals running away in fear. They like to kill because it gives them power, they watch animals die in delight and satisfaction. It's sadistic, and disgusting. They can't kill people, can't have control in their life for whatever reason, and take it out on the animals.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
woah, this thread got cranky over night :eek:

My position is this, if you're hunting an animal that is in no way endangered, and you want it for food/clothing then that's absolutely fine. That's nature.

If you're huting something, endangered or not, and all you want to do is hang its head on a wall, or sell its antlers/whatever, you disgust me and I hope the animal(s) gets the chance to f*** you up.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
woah, this thread got cranky over night :eek:

My position is this, if you're hunting an animal that is in no way endangered, and you want it for food/clothing then that's absolutely fine. That's nature.

If you're huting something, endangered or not, and all you want to do is hang its head on a wall, or sell its antlers/whatever, you disgust me and I hope the animal(s) gets the chance to f*** you up.

i'm with you on this one. cougar hunting is a bad, bad example. 'hunters' wait for a phone call from a guide who has found a cougar and chased it with hounds up a tree. that is definitely not hunting.

i don't know about the US or other countries, but here in Canada, it's illegal to sell any part of a harvested animal and the very reason is to not give folks a reason to kill for trophies via poaching.

If my post came across hard, it's only b/c i've been nattering with some anti-hunters last week and my back hairs were up to begin with. I don't mind if ppl don't like hunting, but as long as they have the facts first :)

cheers,
keebler

If you kill the animal quickly, have respect for the animals, the forest and the surrounding area, and hunt for food, then I don't think there's a difference between a hunter and butcher. But some people hunt for the power trip. They enjoy seeing animals suffer, seeing animals running away in fear. They like to kill because it gives them power, they watch animals die in delight and satisfaction. It's sadistic, and disgusting. They can't kill people, can't have control in their life for whatever reason, and take it out on the animals.

wow...this makes me sad if there are hunters out there like this - I've never seen one. Not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen a sadistic blood wanting hunter. Any hunter I've known to wound an animal and have to chase it has been devastated.

bummer.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
"henri, there are 2 types of people in this world, complainers and doers. obviously you are the former."

&

"...as long as they have the facts first."

Ahem ......

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
"henri, there are 2 types of people in this world, complainers and doers. obviously you are the former."

&

"...as long as they have the facts first."

Ahem ......

je ne sais pa? my point is to do something about it if the hunters are not acting responsibly. just don't hate the lot of hunters b/c we're not all bad :)

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
In the part of the US where I grew up, wolves, primarily. Deer have lots of natural predators, depending on the environment, besides wolves.

In North America there are primarily two predators of deer; puma and wolves. There simply are not predators everywhere, covering every square mile of land.

The fact is nature can get out of sync all by itself.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
In North America there are primarily two predators of deer; puma and wolves. There simply are not predators everywhere, covering every square mile of land.

The fact is nature can get out of sync all by itself.

don't forget bears. they are a big time predator of deer (and moose (usually calf) for that matter).

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
je ne sais pa? my point is to do something about it if the hunters are not acting responsibly. just don't hate the lot of hunters b/c we're not all bad :)

The Prefecture is also the head of the local gendarme and my mayor and the majority of his equipe, who I've complained to on a regular basis are some of the very people I actually have a problem with! You have to get it into context ... what I loathe isn't apparently anything to be bothered about. And no ... you're not all bad .. people are far too complex to summarise so quickly. I dare say there are more than two types of people in this world as well! :p But you may be sadly misguided in what you do or simply lacking empathy. In a few hundred years .. hunting, meat eating, factory farming and so forth will be as abhorrent as child chimney sweeps and work houses.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I feel I have to chime in here b/c lately, i’ve been talking with some anti-hunters and some are too emotionally charged to be rational and some are simply uneducated about hunting (not criticizing the latter...just a fact). I don’t care if someone is gay, black, white, asian, vegan or whatever......but i don’t hatefully go after those folks.

the one thing that kills me about anti-hunters is that the majority seem to be vegans (I could be wrong, but it seems every time there is a complaining anti-hunter, they don't eat meat). now i have nothing against vegans....to each their own. what bothers me is that these vegans are peace loving, don't-hurt-the-animals - which is fine too. i get that.

BUT then they preach how they should HURT hunters, sabotage their treestands or atvs, get in the way of a hunt (which is pretty much idiotic btw) and like the first few tasteless posts in this thread, LAUGH when a hunter....ie. another person.....is hurt.

For every "militant" or hypocritical vegan or animal rights activist that "hatefully" goes after hunters, there's a dozen militant or offensive meat eaters hatefully and gleefully going after vegetarians. Even the mention of animal rights or vegetarianism will have somebody chiming in about hypocrisy or militancy, with some trussed up examples and then a tirade about how these people ought to think or act. And who is this "they" that's supposedly preaching about how they should hurt hunters? Do you have a direct line from Vegan Central into your home (and if so, how do I subscribe)? Or are you just as guilty of stereotyping a majority based on the minority as these vegans you're making claims about?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
We have a serious deer overpopulation problem here in Ohio - the biggest threat is deer-auto accidents, but the deer themselves become unhealthy and seek out food in dangerous places when population pressure gets too high.

Without the hunting, the ODNR Wildlife division would have to pay professional hunters to cull the population - that would cost millions. Instead, the state makes money selling hunting licenses and lots of people get to eat venison. Everybody wins.

I personally do not support trophy hunting, though it's still big business, especially in Africa.

Hunters and Environmentalists - two groups with some similar ideas who will never, ever, admit it.

RayStar

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
We have a serious deer overpopulation problem here in Ohio - the biggest threat is deer-auto accidents, but the deer themselves become unhealthy and seek out food in dangerous places when population pressure gets too high.

Without the hunting, the ODNR Wildlife division would have to pay professional hunters to cull the population - that would cost millions. Instead, the state makes money selling hunting licenses and lots of people get to eat venison. Everybody wins.

I personally do not support trophy hunting, though it's still big business, especially in Africa.

Hunters and Environmentalists - two groups with some similar ideas who will never, ever, admit it.
We have an over population of deer in SE MI also. I think the population should be reduced.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Too bad you are not more open minded about life in general. The same rights given to the hunter are the same rights that protect you from being forced to eat wild game. I get the distinct impression you are a younger member of society as your understanding of reciprocal rights and freedom seems to elude you.

I suppose if you would have it be your way then you would want the government to decide what we eat. No thanks.

(feel free to interchange "eat" with "do", "say" and "feel")

:D
He's in France, his rights are, I'd presume, slightly different.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
We have a serious deer overpopulation problem here in Ohio - the biggest threat is deer-auto accidents, but the deer themselves become unhealthy and seek out food in dangerous places when population pressure gets too high. Environmentalists - two groups with some similar ideas who will never, ever, admit it.

It's clear - reintroduce bears and wolves. Oh and humans to quit rutting would help the equation too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.