Unibody Dents-solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadow1, Sep 12, 2009.

1. shadow1 macrumors member

Before my new case of Macbook Pro unibody had a dent. Is there a solution that would hopefully not cost anything without creating further damage. Eg bending it back. Is it safe?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I wouldn't attempt any repair to the case without removing the logic board, as you could damage the connectors (which are mounted on the board).

Since the top case is a single piece, there's not much else you can do except have it replaced.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'd take the back off, get two strips of soft wood, ideally flat and not too thick then place the whole lot in a vice and slowly tighten it. The objective isn't to crush the uMBP, you wanna straighten it.

You might like to cut a supporting groove in one of the pieces as the understand of the uMBP isn't completely flat.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yup, do not hammer the wood, use a vice or something that will slowly bring its shape back.

6. Smacky macrumors 6502

Maybe you could heat the metal up to make it more maleable as well

7. fpar macrumors regular

It looks like the only solution is to replace the top case.

8. Griff110 macrumors member

but only if everything is stripped out first heat+logic board=death:(

9. Derald Lary macrumors member

My MBP 13inch looked almost the same as yours. The damage was in the same place. I sent it to MyService.com in Santa Clara, Ca for repair. As they are near Cupertino they got the part the next day. I sent mine in last Tuesday and received it back at noon on Friday. The top case (the Unibody) was replaced at a cost of $295. They offer round trip next day air. shipping at $79. Check with your insurance company, mine paid for the shipping and repair less $100 deductible. I am very happy with the workmanship.

Try this Url http://www.myservice.com/ http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attached Files:

10. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

11. dennis123123 macrumors member

It happens on the 15" if you pick up the MBP with one hand holding it at that edge where it is weakened because of the ethernet jack and the speaker holes on top.

12. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

What? Those aren't from holding the laptop too hard, there from dropping it. You are correct that that's the weak spot in the design.

13. RKpro macrumors 6502

Yeah that Ethernet port is a major weakspot. Mine was bent at the optical drive side. The section of the case below the slit was bent horizontally into the optical drive by a few mm. I was able to easily bent it back into place after disassembling it, and there is no sign of impact now.

Aluminum is pretty strong because it doesn't flex much or crack, but it's very soft on impacts, it dents rather easily. Mine fell less than 0.5m in a padded laptop bag, with an Incase sleeve, and it still resulted in a nasty looking dent. I have a feeling that a plastic MacBook case would have done better in that situation, unless it cracked.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

they drop them, its lose lose, they either have to replace the bottom due to a dent, or they drop it on the top and shatter the screen.

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ha what? Al flexes quite well, it is a very soft metal. Regular steel(mild steel) is a soft metal too, Hard metal is stuff like AR(abrasion resistant) steel, or stainless steel.

16. RKpro macrumors 6502

Yes, aluminum is a soft metal. I was comparing to normal plastic notebooks. Plastic cases flex a lot more. I know someone with an MSI X-Slim, and the whole thing bends under your hands as you type.

17. Moobacca macrumors newbie

very weak spot

i dropped my 17" Macbook pro ($3000.00) inside my 1/2 inch padded bag which was on my shoulder at the time, so it only fell about 2.5 ft. completely warped at the ethernet port due to thinness of aluminum there. Unable to fit ethernet jack into port now, much worse than the pics to start this forum. I will take to Apple to see what they can do. I am very disappointed though, i never carry around my house or anywhere like some dummies. It goes in its protective bag and then i gingerly carry to where i am going. First time i ever dropped it and bam 3 grand down the drain.....nice design apple. Perhaps they should warn anybody who buys one for this price that yeah its thin, but one drop and it will bend/break(as mine has now) at the ethernet port.

18. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

So, you drop your computer and you blame Apple for it? :rolleyes:

19. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

[​IMG]

20. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Only if you have vice grips for hands....hope you are kidding. I wouldnt want to shake your hand thats for sure.

21. Takashi macrumors regular

I guess apple designers forgot to do the drop test before they release the laptop.

22. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

where ever there is a hole, its going to be weaker then a solid piece of metal. seems like since all the ports are there, there is some strength issues when banged on that corner.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

HAHAHA

24. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

If you're not kidding, were you ever in a Bond movie by chance? :D

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, this is kind of a design flaw. No one should expect their laptop will be just fine if they drop it, but with that much metal removed from one area, it really weakens the unibody.

I'm just saying, I wonder if the port arrangement will quietly change in future models, while the "you dent it, you're out of warranty" policy stays the same.

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I know what you mean. I bought a set of Swarovski Crystals and when I got home we wanted to see just how robust they were, so we tossed em' at the wall and they shattered. Not very robust IMO. They should really hold up to that sort of thing :p