Unibody MacBook a collectors item...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBook08, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

Well, I hope this doesn't sound stupid but now that the 13-inch Unibody MacBooks have become "MacBook Pros," this means that all of those (including myself) who bought the Unibody MacBook, now own the first and only Aluminum Unibody MacBook ever built.

It's funny now that I think about it. One day, people will look at my Unibody MacBook and wonder why it doesn't say "Pro" on it or where the SD card slot is or why the control and command keys look different or where the FW port is or why the lock slot is on the left side instead of the right side.
    :apple:

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

haha, i actually thought about the same thing. idk if it will become a collectors item, but im pretty annoyed at the moment, i feel like my computer is completely outdated and its not even a year old...

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

uh why?

4. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

:)

I don't feel it's outdated but I'm totally jealous of the new screen and maybe the quicker processor as well.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Just curious, has there ever been a shorter lived Apple computer? :p

6. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

How's it completely outdated? All they did was update the base specs (who didn't expect that, honestly?), and add a "Pro" onto the end of its name.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

well, pretty much because my computer is no longer in production. the new battery is amazing, and so is the backlit keyboard, all at a lower price point. (sd slot and firewire i could care less about) but im not caving on this one...im not buying a new one until im damn well ready to, ill wait for another update or two on this new "MBP"

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

LOL at the "outdated" comments. Only if you must have the newest thing on the street at all times. Your MacBooks will run just as beautifully as they did before today's event. Seriously, you likely won't notice the difference in processor speed whatsoever, and if you really needed 8 GB of RAM or FireWire, you wouldn't have bought the unibody MacBook in the first place.

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Exactly..
    The only people who should be upset are people who needed FireWire but still bought the "old" aluminum MacBook... and if thats the case, well it's your fault for buying something that didnt meet your needs in the first place.

When I bought my "Collectors Edition":cool: MacBook, It fulfilled my needs. New MacBooks being released today doesnt affect anything about what my MacBook does or what I need it to do... All the people whining are just the kids that have to have the newest coolest thing (admit it guys)... Get over it already and be happy you have the ONLY aluminum MacBook that was ever made!
    The whole situation almost makes me like my Mac more. I know it sounds dumb but whatever....

10. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I think it is OK to be annoyed if you bought you MB in the last month or two because I don't replace computers quickly at all and there are a lot of new features plus it is cheaper.

I really think the battery is the biggest feature that would cause disappointment...and I really want the keyboard...and I'm happy I have to pay a lot less to get all that...along with a better screen...I'm glad I waited and thanks to you all for making it clear to wait.

11. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

12. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Good observation, but I'm nowhere near ready to put this collector's item on the shelf. :)

13. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I have a collectors edition too :D

14. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Collectors Edition? Whatever gets you guys to sleep, I guess. ;)

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont say that to make myself feel better at all...

Dont be jealous you dont have and CANT GET a "Collectors Edition" ;) haha!

16. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

And they added firewire 800, SD slot, better screen, Better battery...So um what conference where you watching ???

17. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Selling my UMB as soon as my local Apple Store get the 13" MBP in stock.

Hope it's not a "collectors item", since I'm selling it for $900.

18. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I plan on keeping my "collectors item" and working over the summer to be another macbook or should I say maacbook pro.

19. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

its not "item", its EDITION! ;)

20. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

im certainly not updating, it would be dumb, what will i get?

~ better screen, im not fussed, i have a dell 2408wfp connected
    ~ faster cpu, but not by much
    ~ more ram capacity, i cant afford 8gb of DDR3 ram anyway
    ~ firewire 800, i dont have a camcorder or a firewire external drive so this doesnt affect me
    ~ sd card slot, well that would be nice but i do have one of those on my screen so not completely necessary
    ~ 7 hour battery, i have to actively remember to cycle my battery to keep it in good condition, the macbook sits on my desk most of the time now and certainly doesnt get used for more than 4 hours at a time on the battery anyway and it gets about 5 hours battery life, only 2 hours less than the new ones.

The only thing i am worried about will be the availability of the battery in 4 years time, will they still sell them even though they battery was only used for a short time.

21. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have the Mac Classic Collector's Edition Too! the 2.4 with backlit kybd, 2.4 CPU/4GB/320HDD and I love this thing to death, it runs perfect battery is say 4-4.5 hours avg not much more, I paid $1599 plus tax and $73 for the ram upgrade so I am not too far off.

2.53 CPU not much different bc it still has 3MB Cache, if it were the 6MB I might say ok.

HDD you can buy cheaper on your own, ram is still cheaper on your own.

The screen is not horrible, and I can easily connect an external monitor.

FW800 I never used FW so I won't miss it, as far as an SD card slot, I had a USB reader anyway.

No Compelling reason for me to upgrade, I will upgrade the next cycle when there is a major change, they should have put the Discrete 9600 in the high end 13.3 or at least as an option, otherwise the same.:cool:

22. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I wasn't even aware that apple isn't making the unibody macbook's anymore. When was this announced?

23. Kyeris macrumors 6502

The "Unibody Macbook Collector's Experience" is un-matched by any other notebook manufactured from Apple.

Yeah I really don't know what happened there, I'm tired

24. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Have you been underground all day?

25. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Check the other hundreds of threads on this forum, you're in for a shock.