Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
How do you guess the macbook lineup will continue on?

I honestly have no idea anymore whats gonna happen! Its so hard to say now after all this.

To ditch the blackbook and replace it with the unibody macbook, then ditch the unibody and bring the blackbook back to the lineup. If that happened I'd be officially confused :eek:

HAHA! Does sound kinda silly when you put it like that! :D

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Collectors Edition huh? Somehow I thought of this, but dismissed it thinking no one will pay attention, but now that I have seen the bigger picture here, well. 'nuff said I think my GlassBook is now a Collectors Item.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Collectors Edition huh? Somehow I thought of this, but dismissed it thinking no one will pay attention, but now that I have seen the bigger picture here, well. 'nuff said I think my GlassBook is now a Collectors Item.

Welcome aboard! :)

SloopJohnB

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Even though the old uMBs are still great machines, it seems as though they've lost their identity today. They are not Pros, they are not consumer machines, they don't have fw or sd slots. It's like apple saying they've made a mistake with the uMB and are trying to correct it as soon as possible. It feels kinda strange considering the fact that apple's lines of products usually last for years and this particular line (uMB) will end up being just a bump on the line.
I'm just happy I got a nvidia whitebook LOL

ps: just teasing u guys

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Perhaps, though I still don't see how that would make it less of a consumer machine.

Alas, it's cool to have an outcast computer. ;)
It's not. It's still a consumer machine, always was and always will be. There's nothing wrong with it, and if it works well for you, hang on to it.

I'd like to get the new 13'' MBP, but I really don't have a dire need for it. I'd like to think I do, but I don't.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
Wouldn't any computer (or anything, really) that ceases to be produced become a "collector's item"? I honestly don't see the big deal.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
It's probably just people trying to fight off buyer's remorse.

Buyer's remorse? What for? The MB unibody is still the best MacBook ever made. What really would give them reason to feel cheated, is if Apple delivered the MBP 13" with the same price, same specs as they actually did, but called it MB, not MBP. It's far better to have a great MB than a mediocre MBP.

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
Buyer's remorse? What for? The MB unibody is still the best MacBook ever made. What really would give them reason to feel cheated, is if Apple delivered the MBP 13" with the same price, same specs as they actually did, but called it MB, not MBP. It's far better to have a great MB than a mediocre MBP.

I like your reasoning. I feel better already.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
With Snow Leopard now being able to have a theoretical 16 million GB of RAM, can I run 8 or more GB on my 2.4 UMB? As soon as I install Snow Leopard that is.

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
With Snow Leopard now being able to have a theoretical 16 million GB of RAM, can I run 8 or more GB on my 2.4 UMB? As soon as I install Snow Leopard that is.

Actual "limit" for RAM is 6GB for the UMB (Apple limit is 4GB I think?). From what I am aware of, it is unknown if this is a hardware limit or not. I would suppose it depends if it is a hardware limit or not for this cap to be broken and expanded to 8GB.

I think there was a post somewhere where someone tried to either put 6GB or 8GB into a UMB and had success when switching the OS on the netbook to one designed for the UMBPs. I'll try to dig that up.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Actual "limit" for RAM is 6GB for the UMB (Apple limit is 4GB I think?). From what I am aware of, it is unknown if this is a hardware limit or not. I would suppose it depends if it is a hardware limit or not for this cap to be broken and expanded to 8GB.

I think there was a post somewhere where someone tried to either put 6GB or 8GB into a UMB and had success when switching the OS on the netbook to one designed for the UMBPs. I'll try to dig that up.

This is what I found on the Apple website, and it's also what got me thinking it would be possible.

Apple Website said:
Today’s Mac computers can hold up to 32GB of physical memory, but the 32-bit applications that run on them can address only 4GB of RAM at a time. 64-bit computing shatters that barrier by enabling applications to address a theoretical 16 billion gigabytes of memory, or 16 exabytes.

LtCarter47

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Roseville, CA
Just curious, has there ever been a shorter lived Apple computer? :p

Yeah, the last of the Titanium G4s were only about 3 months old when the aluminum models were announced. I only remember that because I bought one right when it was released :mad:. Man was I annoyed... Oh well.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Yeah, the last of the Titanium G4s were only about 3 months old when the aluminum models were announced. I only remember that because I bought one right when it was released :mad:. Man was I annoyed... Oh well.

The Tibooks came out in 2001, the Aluminums appeared in 2003, with the 15" aluminum following later.

LtCarter47

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Roseville, CA
The Tibooks came out in 2001, the Aluminums appeared in 2003, with the 15" aluminum following later.

The 1GHz TiBook that I bought was released on November 6th 2002. On January 7th 2003 the Aluminum models were announced. True, the 15" wasn't till later that year, but What I'm getting at was this, when I bought my powerbook, there was 1 to choose from, the 15in TiBook. 2 months and 1 day after the day it was released they introduced the aluminum design and more screen sizes. I would have happily bought the 17in if I hadn't spent $3,000 only 2 months previously(on a brand new model no less)

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
I thought of this too as soon as the Keynote Adress ended, I accidentally got my account Timed-Out because of a spot of rage, but I couldn't wait to be free so that I could discuss our Limited-Run Collector's Edition Aluminium MacBooks!

I have a feeeling that in 10 years time when "MacHads II" comes out we'll all be sitting there going on about our Collector's Edition Aluminium MacBooks

'Twere about twenny year ago, me and mah boys were watchin' a Special Event by this crowd we called Apple back then. They had plastic com-pooters back in those days, and then they went ahead and dazzled us all with them new fancy AE-LOO-MEEN-EE-OOM MacBooks.

Only thing was, 'round about's six months later they went back to plastic MacBooks. This here y'all se ba'fore me is one of dems fancy MacBooks, that only had a limited run. I can sell it for 4 million dollar's if you want it for your collection :D

Add your pride to your signiture!

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
It's probably just people trying to fight off buyer's remorse.

Haha, not at all. I love my Collector's Edition UMB. :D I drove 2 hours each way to pick it up the day after it came out! It's a great machine. It's just something fun, because it's the only version of it, and lasted from October to June, or 7 months. Plus, it helps my self esteem and makes me feel special...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.