Unibody Macbook Pro Trackpad Hate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NanoMeko, Apr 15, 2009.

1. NanoMeko macrumors member

Just bought a new macbook pro 15' after owning a few pc laptops for a while. So far so good and I'm enjoying my somewhat costly purchase.

I can't however get used to the new trackpad. The button feels really heavy, clicking with the trackpad takes quite a lot of effort and makes a loud clicking noise. Tapping instead of clicking seems to take just a little bit of time to register and sometimes doesn't.

While I would never go back to my hp laptop and it's trackpad it seemed more responsive and the soft trackpad buttons more useful. I could click on both buttons to close a firefox tab for example.

My questions are: Is there anyway to make the tapping more sensitive. IE barely touch the trackpad to click?

Is it a good idea to loosen the screw to make the trackpad button more responsive and easier to click on?

Finally: Any recommendations for a mouse for everyday use? Preferable with an extra button that I can associate with the "back" button for firefox.

Thanks !

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

For the trackpad, try 'clicking' near the bottom half. It's easier than the upper half. A good external mouse with user-programmable functions would be the Logitech MX Revolution. It's somewhat costly ($99) but worth it.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

"Tap to click" has always been just as responsive as physical clicking. I've used it on the last three I've owned, from PB to MBP 2.33 to the new UB. It also takes just the lightest touch to register.

It sounds like you do have it set for "Tap to click", but perhaps double-check?

I've also used the two-finger secondary click with equal results.

If anything, I've accidently registers a click, when I didn't mean to, but that's very seldom. So, that all said, I'm wondering what you are experiencing. I will agree the physical click (thumb - click-dragging mostly) was, at first, stiff compared with the separate button I had on the MBP 2.33, but it's softened a bit with use.

One thought I had on reports of "heavy" click force: The physical, integrated, click doesn't work across the entire surface. It's pretty much limited to the lower 1/2 to 2/3rds of the trackpad, with the least amount of effort required along the bottom.

One thing that can't be beat is the trackpad surface itself. No matter how dry my fingers are (or arn't), it always feels silky smooth, but not slippery. Sort of "three-little-bears" just right.

Here're the setting's I use:

Attached Files:

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's currently on Amazon for ~$75. Well worth it.

5. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Mighty Mouse?

When I got my 15" UbMBP last month I too needed a mouse, I liked the track pad but I still couldn't go without an actual mouse. I tried the Wireless Mighty Mouse at the Apple store and liked it. When I brought it home I did have some difficulty using it on some surfaces, i.e. wood with a varnish coating on it. ( I just put a magazine under the mouse and the problem was solved ) Otherwise it works perfectly on some pretty amazing surfaces. I have had no problems using it on my bed, it actually seems to move better on a cloth surface than a hard one. Anyway, that's my two cents. Choosing a mouse that works well for you is like choosing the Holy Grail in that Indiana Jones movie with Sean Connery.

6. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I am having issues too, hate the keyboard too.

I was thinking of getting a might mouse but Ill need an extra USB Hub or a longer cable due to the USB ports being on the left hand side of the machine (I m right handed)

The rotation of pictures and zooming out seems to always happen when I don't want it to.

I wish there was a way to turn off features in the trackpad. I don't need them and to be honest I miss the button!!!!!

(But I love my machine)

7. aleni macrumors 68020

i agreed with "tap to click". it sucks so hard the first time, but keep using it maybe for about a week, i'm sure you will be getting used of it.

8. assassinm4 macrumors member

Besides the price factor of getting a refurb non-unibody is way cheaper comparing with relatively same specification of unibody, and personal preference of the outlook of the old one,

i really dislike the unibody keyboard and trackpad. i swapped my MBP with my friend's unibody for a day. owww he loves my keyboard and trackpad :p

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

This mouse has been on the market for ages. It's really good and very popular. Extremely comfortable to use.

Microsoft IntelliExplorer 3.0 - I have a Mighty Mouse that's let me down constantly, especially with its scroll ball. This Microsoft mouse has been awesome for the past 5 years. My favourite mouse of all time. ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=087

10. aleni macrumors 68020

I use mouse only when im using illustrator. I feel it's pretty lame to use mouse at starbucks.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Someone wrote that if you gently back out the screw on the underside of the trackpad you can lessen the click and effort. Google for it.

12. atheros07 macrumors member

I also recommend turning on Tap to Click and Secondary Tap. On my previous PC laptop I always used the physical buttons because the tapping feature always registered false clicks. But I've found the touchpad on the UMBP to be quite good at being able to tell the difference between actual and non-clicks. Now I use tapping 90% of the time and use the physical touchpad only when dragging.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I highly recommend against doing such. I think that may void your warranty, when looked on a bigger scale, is worth much more than a few trackpad issues that you'd probably get used to after awhile.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

For me I LOVE the new trackpad. I even prefer it than an external mouse.

The clickable trackpad is the best thing ever. 2 finger click (right click) works fast and easy.

16. kolax macrumors G3

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=647323

It is worth doing. Unfortunately, it is hard to move that screw on some MBP's.

If you could get your hands on the specific screw driver then you are in business... and if you do, let me know where you got it from ;)

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I'm with you. I hate the track pads.

However loosing the screw will only make the trackpad loose, it will be just as hard to click. There is also the possibility that you got a defective trackpad (possibly) because any of these trackpads that I have used are are overly sensitivity. Like unfuncationally sensitive.

18. kolax macrumors G3

If you loosen it properly, then it'll be much easier to click.

Loosen it right down, the trackpad doesn't click at all, just remains flat. If you tighten it too much, the click is really firm. Just have to balance it right.

Of course, using the correct screw driver does help.. it's a nightmare using a flat headed one.

19. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i am a fan of the new trackpad. the 3 finger swipe to the left that navigates back a page is fantastic. the two finger scrolling and clicking is also very convenient. as for the click to tap i think it just takes some getting used to. but there should not be any delay.

20. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Gotta love the new trackpad set-up. It's much easier and much more convenient to use, now. Come to think of it, I don't use the "click" method. It's all set by touch. This new pad is way better than on my previous PowerBooks.

21. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I got mine for 35$ from dell on Blackfriday, shouldve bought two, and sold one!

Its an amazing mouse, Its always hooked up.

I actually use the trackpad with my left hand, and the mouse with my right.

Highly programmable!

EDIT: Mouse- Logitech Revolution MX

22. magamo macrumors 6502

I love Tap to Click and Secondary Tap with two fingers. It took a few days to get used to them, and now I'm comfortable with clicking with my trackpad. One finger Dragging was trickier, but it just took a little longer to be comfortable with it.

I also love Four Finger Swipe for Exposé and Switch Applications. They're so convenient I can't live without them. I use my mighty mouse only when I need more precise control e.g., drawing in Illustrator.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Though if anyone plans to partake in that project at least do yourself a favor and get the correct screwdriver; don't improvise.

24. kolax macrumors G3

Won't void warranty..

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

funny, one of the first thing i did was i turned on tap to click - maybe i'm just used to windows hah.

but i will say if you turn it off - you will definitely break in the trackpad. goto the Apple store - you will see that their track pad is a lot easier to press in.

and yeah if it's that big of a problem, just adjust the screw!