Unibody MBP Magsafe Fire

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Santa Rosa, May 20, 2009.

1. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Just saw this over at Engadget:

Link

[​IMG]

Wonder why it happened?

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Holy cow!! Apple's gonna get some bad press with this...hope they replace his macbook pro.

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

it wouldnt be the first time this has happened.

most people pull on their magsafe plug which causes some of the cables inside to strain. pull it this way enough and the cables might rip inside causing a spark and sometimes melting of plastic.

if people didnt pull their cables we wouldnt have as many incidents but it is a flaw overseen by apple.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Saw this on engadget. I really hope there is not another fatal flaw with this notebook (like the time bomb GPUs in the earlier MBP).

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

apple brick charger problems have been around for a looooooooooong time. even my friends PB charger started smoking one day. But there is a ton of threads on this already

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. MrZebra macrumors regular

I'm always amazed by these problems, maybe I'm not well informed but it seems that apple has a real hard time to keep this situation under control.
    I, for one, usually never leave my laptop under charge whenever I go out because of this.

8. ///M5 macrumors 6502

Oh snap! That is some serious sh*t! :eek:

I'd freak out if I wake up and see the connector fried like that.

The owner should sue Apple's a$$, big time. I know I would.

9. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The shareholders would love you! Seriously, if that happened to me, i'd just get it replaced and be happy I wasn't dead. I think the culture of suing absolutely everyone under the sun is getting out of hand.

10. MrZebra macrumors regular

The same could be said about apple's QC these days :rolleyes:

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Happened to me, received a new one the day after.

12. Santa Rosa thread starter macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I would have thought Apple would have had this problem put to bed by now. I wouldn't change it for the world but its a bit of a worry that my SR MBP could have an electrical fire and also has the possibility of the graphics card imploding!

The magsafe is such a smart idea but with the new unibodies going on fire it still seems that Apple are more interested in the aesthetic of the adapter when they should really maybe make it of different materials or make it a bit beefier to give it an extra factor of safety.

I suppose this sort of thing can happen with anything it's just that this particular problem has arisen quite often.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The guy that this happened to (the guy whose MBP you see in the photo in the OP) posted a topic about this here a few hours ago saying that Apple has said they'll replace the computer. I'd sure as hell be demanding more considering it could've burnt his house down!

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I bet most of the time this happens because of misuse on user's part. Like pulling the magsafe by the cord and not by the plastic thing.

15. edblor macrumors regular

Umm, no! I do not think so! Cheap materials would be my guess, or poor design.

I'm not saying Apple has designed this thing poorly, but perhaps a combination of cheap-ish materials, and not rigorous enough testing/standards are more likely the culprit.

16. RKpro macrumors 6502

update FTA:

"Another thing, I believe it's the computer not the magsafe. This laptop has broken two other power supplies, granted not to this extent. Yesterday, I just got the laptop back from the Apple Store again because the logic board and fan assembly needed to be replaced, I think due to the same issue. I was so happy to get it home only to find 6 hours later it was on fire."

:eek:

17. Santa Rosa thread starter macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Suggests that the Magsafe wasn't at fault?

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Wow... the pic is amazing! Wouldn't want to be there when it happened...

19. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

What's the deal with people not liking Apple's magsafe connectors anyway? They had bad reviews on Apple's website. I've never had a problem with mine.

20. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Hmm, that is rather interesting. Haven't heard of this happening yet.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhaps it's his house's wiring?

Exactly.

22. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

I can tell you why.

It has nothing to do with the magsafe connection itself. The material that is used on the cable going from the transformer (power Brick) to the magsafe is made from a soft and supple material that feels nice and coils up easily but unfortunately it appears to have the durability of wet tissue. ;) You can see that apple has already added extra material to the magsafe connector as a strain relief but I suspect that it is not sufficient. I am sitting on the couch using a brand new aluminum mb and looking at the power cord it is under no tension but is sagging and I can see where this could over time kink and break the insulation. When I use my Dell in the same manner the cord sticks straight out by about two inches because it is reinforced much further down the cord. It is uglier and does not look as nice but I suspect it will last longer under normal use. This is not a dig against Apple I am just looking at it from a engineering standpoint. I do not think it is a dangerous design but is far less durable then it could be. I think apple is trying to keep a certain look and will not compromise on that. In the future when my warranty is up I will probably put a shrink tube (no not the thing that happens when a guy goes swimming in cold water) on the end to help add some strain relief.
    I am speaking in general about the failures of magsafes not the particular toasty one in the original post. That could very well be a break in the insulation and a defect with the mbp drawing to much power.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pulling it by the plug would damage no wiring at all, ever. Pulling it by the cord is a different story, but the force needed to disconnect the plug isn't very large anyways. It's a matter of not insulting the wires properly, if anything.

24. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

All i know is i dont see crappy dell chargers lighting in flames. They will change it after it burns down a house full of orphans or the white house or something. O and i dnt hear people saying "now be real careful of how you wrap the charger chord on that inspiron". You should just be able to wrap it up and go. And the cord pulling thing. that would be a super easy design change to make it more durable

25. f00f macrumors 65816

Hi all,
    I just received a unibody 17" MBP a few days ago (sweet machine!) only to be scared half to death by posts across the net about MagSafe fires & metldowns.

A little poking around at Apple's Support site:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1453

I agree, the material and overall durability of the new MagSafe powerbricks just don't feel resilient to every day use (even compared to the old brick from my PowerBook). However if improper removal of the connector is a leading cause of sparks and flame, the support article above should help out! :D