Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
In fact, Apple still has not adopted the Unicode 7 standard that was finalized in June of 2014, continuing to offer only the emoji that were included in Unicode 6.

Actually, the Vulcan "live long and prosper" salute was added from Unicode 7 at some point in iOS 8. I'm not sure which version. It's also in OS X, but perhaps only in Yosemite.

However, it's not on the keyboard. I copied it from a webpage that displayed it, and then associated it with a keyboard shortcut.

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Actually, the Vulcan "live long and prosper" salute was added from Unicode 7 at some point in iOS 8. I'm not sure which version. It's also in OS X, but perhaps only in Yosemite.

However, it's not on the keyboard. I copied it from a webpage that displayed it, and then associated it with a keyboard shortcut.
I think it was added in iOS 8.2 which was released a few weeks after Leonard Nimoy's death. I wonder why they didn't add it in the stock emoji keyboard. I use SwiftKey and they added it in their emoji keyboard in a recent update along with skin tone modifiers.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yeah, like in iChat, AIM, etc. The MacRumors one is pretty close: :)
Edit: Here's the iChat one, which MacRumors used to have:
Screen_Shot_2015_06_17_at_10_05_20_PM.png
This is the one which MacRumors used to have, and still has for me:
smile.png

Reactions: AlecZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.