Uninstall Safari 4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fuego, Jun 8, 2009.

1. fuego macrumors newbie

I downloaded Safari 4 today after it was released, but it's running REALLY slow for me. Especially on pages with a lot of images, and most websites I view have lots of images. It's constantly freezing, I always get that spinning rainbow, etc. I want to go back to Safari 3, but I can't figure out how. The safari4 dmg doesn't come with an uninstaller. And I can't re-download Safari 3 because I have a newer version on my computer. What can I do?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try "Empty Cache", and see if that helps.

Safari 4 screams compared with 3 - even the original beta, so there's something not quite right on your particular machine.

3. fuego thread starter macrumors newbie

I just had my computer serviced, so there's nothing wrong with it. 4 is very fast on most sites, but on sites that have lots of images/animations, it is VERY SLOW and completely locks up. Safari 3 was never this slow. Even though I do notice that Safari 4 takes up a lot less memory. For some reason, on certain websites, it's just painfully slow.

4. jmj macrumors member

I've noticed it stuttering a bit on scroll ups - kinda gets stuck for a milisecond and jumps. Haven't had any problems with it freezing up completely though.

The UI is A LOT cleaner than 3 - I really noticed the difference when I uninstalled the beta and went back to 3. It was so ugly I reinstalled the beta and just dealt with the bugs.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I didn't mean something wrong physically with your machine.

6. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I just down load Safari 4 and my wonderful iMac experience that I have been enjoying for the last 3 weeks has slowed down a lot. My computer is very slow compared to when I was using Safari 3. If you figure out how to uninstall Safari 4 let me know and I'll dump it.

7. funkdoctor macrumors member

No Safari 4!!

I am having the exact same problem, and it is ONLY with Safari. If I try and read the forums on Soulstrut, Safari 4 has been taking OVER 2 minutes to load. Open the same page (at the same time) with Firefox 3 or Opera, instant load. I went to another page and everything loaded but the pictures. Same page in Firefox, open in less than a second. I had no problems with Safari 3.
    There has to be a way to uninstall...

8. FCBarca macrumors member

FCBarca

Safari 4 is just freezing up for me...Over and over...I have restart it and ultimately cannot use it...Not sure what the problem is much less how to downgrade it back to Safari 3 :confused:

9. fuego thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to a page that has a collection of large images. I never had a problem loading that website on Safari 3. Now on Safari 4, it'll load for a couple minutes and when it stops loading, the images aren't even there. I just get that blue question mark.

I just tried the page in Firefox. It took less time to load, and the images actually showed up.

The sites I spend the most time on are image/video heavy - I can't use Safari 4 because it freezes up every time I try to scroll down the page. Hopefully there'll either be an update soon or someone will find a way to get back Safari 3.

10. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Safari 4 is blazing fast. Its a shame your not getting the speeds. Maybe a reinstall?

11. funkdoctor macrumors member

reinstall? No, uninstall! How can I? I never had any problems using Safari 3. My speedtest results show me around 28 Mbps and I cant download a webpage?

12. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I see no difference in speed - but it did just crash on me.

13. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2030638&tstart=0

14. dforge715 macrumors newbie

15. icarus2006 macrumors newbie

Safari 4 slow on MacBook Pro, Intel iMac and G4 PowerBook

Its definitely slower. Clearing the cache, and/or resetting the browser speeds it up for a short time, but it still chokes after a few pages. Long pauses before pages appear. No such problems with Safari 3, Firefox, Opera, or any other browser. All 3 systems, running 10.4.11 and 10.5.7 recently rebuilt from scratch and only internet plugins loaded are pretty standard: Quicktime, Flash, Adobe PDF viewer.

Any one has a list of how to uninstall?

16. roslee7 macrumors regular

why safari 4 without the page snapback which is usefeul features? i try to unistall it but not successful so i reinstall my leopard to get back safari 3

17. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Just use Firefox. Safari 4 is good, 3 is bad.

18. colocolo macrumors 6502

While I understand your frustration with Safari 4 being noticeably slower and/or unusable to you folks, I fail to see why you don't feel like trying to fix Safari 4 before downgrading to 3?
    After all, if you can't find a fix, then by all means fall back to version 3, but most likely this issue is fixable once you figure out what is wrong with your setup (maybe addons as suggested before?)

19. anhhungnoob macrumors newbie

I found Glims cause problem. Just do as Ottawa Guy's quote: go to both
    HD>Library>InputManagers folder and Applications Support>SIMBL>Plugins folder

then remove Glims folder. Nows Safari 4.0 'll lauch fine and wont quit unexpectedly anymore

20. jedijeff23 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem! Tried to fix it but...

I tried to locate the InputManagers folder within the Library but don't have one by that name... also don't have the SIMBL folder with my Applications Support folder...

Is it because I'm on OS X 10.4.11? Any alternate ideas?

I've never had problems with running any previous version of Safari and would love to get this up and running properly.

cheers,
    ANOTHER Ottawa guy

21. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Both Safari 3 and 4 are horrible when it comes to animations and large images. If you don't want the lag associated with this, use Firefox.

22. magdan macrumors newbie

Safari uninstall

I, unfortunately checked the Safari Update in the Apple Software Update, without reading if it was for V4. And boy, do I regret it! Version 4 simply does not work for me (syst 10.4.11 on an Intell dual core Mac Pro).

I thought that «zapping» it and reinstalling version 3.x.x would bring me back to some reality but after zapping version 4 and trying to reinstall version 3.x.x I got another blow on the head…! Impossible to install this version because version 4 is still lurking somewhere?!?!?! What the heck!
    Who am I to decide for myself?!

So, I'm still praying to find a way to totally and forever eradicate V.4…
    I want to go back to V3 where I never add any problems. Worse, now the phantom version 4 has erased my bookmarks.Vanished… What is happening at Apple?

Please tell me how I can uninstall Safari V4… Don't tell me that its great on your computer : HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT (UNINSTALL) AND GET BACK TO VERSION 3.X.X
    Millions of thanks!

23. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Some people have problems with Safari 4, some don't....

The difference has to be in what is installed on different machines. The problem must be a conflict between Safari 4 and something else. It runs perfectly on my Mac.

I'm not sure if the following procedure is intended for Snow Leopard. I think I read something saying that SL required Safari 4. I copied this from another forum before I upgraded Safari, just in case....

"Downgrading Safari"

Download Safari 3.1.1 Update from Apple's Download page.
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/safari311.html

Quit Safari.
    Delete Safari
    Delete the receipts file at /Library/Receipts/Safari4.0Tiger.pkg
    Empty Trash

Mount Safari 3.1.1.dmg file
    Run Safari311UpdPPC.pkg
    Perform 'Upgrade'
    Restart

All is good with Safari 3.

24. fuego thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out I had Safari 3 backed up on my external harddrive. When I tried to move it back to my MacBook HD, it just magically turned into Safari 4 when I opened it. I was able to open Safari 3 if I ran it from the external HD, but it had the same problems as Safari 4, so I'm guessing some component of Safari 4 installed on my MacBook interfered with it. Safari 3 never used to give me problems.

I've heard from a few different people that their problems with Safari 4 disappeared when they installed Snow Leopard. I don't know if other people on here have tried that. I haven't gotten Snow Leopard yet, but I might have to. I'm assuming it'll be easier to upgrade to that from Leopard than switching from Tiger to Leopard was. Is anyone using Snow Leopard and still having problems with Safari?

Right now I've been using both Safari and Firefox. Firefox has plenty of its own frustrating problems, but at least it doesn't crash on image-heavy sites like Safari. They use up a ton of memory on their own - using them both at the same time is killing my memory. I hope someone comes out with a functioning browser for Mac sometime soon.