Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Apple announced Adobe would be bringing Lightroom to Apple Silicon in December. Hopefully that's going to include Lightroom Classic, not just the cloud-supported version.

I think thats very unlikely to be Lightroom Classic . See the Photoshop beta on Apple Silicon here

"Features NOT PRESENT IN THIS VERSION:
  • Camera RAW"
Which I think is the basis for the Develop module in Classic.

[Edit]
After posting the above, I found this the Adobe site
=====

Apple Silicon compatibility​

Native compatibility is planned for 2021. Adobe is committed to ensuring Lightroom Classic is available on all major platforms and surfaces, including running natively on Apple devices with M1 processors.

There are no known issues specific to running Lightoom Classic 10.x under Rosetta 2 emulation mode on Apple devices with M1 processors running macOS BigSur (version 11).
=====
I had to smile at the 'known issues' comment. I still have workarounds in my workflow for bugs that I reported eight years ago, aren't fixed and aren't on the 'known issues' list

Last edited:

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Not that it matters but I wonder if the Steam client will be updated or will they wait longer until there are native/universal apps?

Rosetta will have to stay forever because so many old titles will probably never be updated.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yes, VM apps will run, but only the user interface. The actual virtualization won't work. For me, CrossOver Mac ran its UI fine, but the moment it tried to run Windows code, my M1 Mac instantly rebooted.

Parallels Desktop, again, the UI will run, but as soon as I try launching a VM, the app crashes (doesn't take down the whole OS, thankfully!)

Non-virtual-machine Intel apps should run just fine. The "user interface" parts of virtual-machine apps should even run just fine. It's the actual virtualization that won't work.
On Crossover's blog post, they said that macOS 11.1 beta 1 has critical fixes for Rosetta. Hopefully, it will not be a long wait to get macOS 11.1 update.

Reactions: Anonymous Freak

wyatterp

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Not sure this was already covered, but I pinged Feral support about bringing over/letting their iPad/iPhone games to be on the Macbook App store and they basically said they have no plans. I recently bought X-COM 2 collection for my ipad pro, so that's 25 bucks. The new Macbook meets my needs better than my ipad pro - but i was really hoping for more devs to allow their stuff on Macbook store. I realize that Feral has a 60 dollar version of X-COM 2, but it's the not the full X-COM 2 "collection" and graphically I would prefer the leaner version that syncs using icloud to my iphone too. Not sure if anyone else is putting the pressure on Feral and ASPYR, but it would be nice if Devs weren't trying to double dip like this.

Carles Carbonell

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2019
Roda de Ter, Spain
The Mac apps from Astropad Team (Astropad, Astropad Studio and Luna Display) are updated to take advantage from M1 SOC:

Astropad M1 support

Astropad Standard is an app which allow to use your iPad screen and Apple Pencil as a Pen Monitor (like a Wacom Cintiq, or Apple Sidecar feature), but only in Mirror Screen mode. Astropad Studio is the subscription service which adds some features to Astropad. Sincerely, i guess the standard Astropad is enough.

Luna Display is an app to use the "Luna Display" dongle, which allows to use your iPad or Mac screen as an extended monitor, without any hardware restriction (GPU usage). However, you can't only use the Appe Pencil as a pointer, to use pressure and tilt you also need any Astropad version.

This new version on M1 hardware encodes the screen in only 8ms. This is pretty ****** good. The current Luna/Astropad in Mac Mini 2018 run pretty well on 1/2 ratio iPad resolution; but adds a noticeable latency in Retina screen size (the full iPad Pro resolution).

IMHO is much better Luna/Astropad than macOS Sidecar when you use apps for digital painting. Sidecar is not compatible on all digital painting software, it's pressure curve is too high and some drawing strokes don't register as they must be. Astropad solutions works pretty well despite being 'sherlocked' by Apple.

Also i ask if someone can test Wacom drivers on M1 if they work well under Rosetta 2. Or if there's an M1 version.

This is getting pretty interesting for me, for digital art.

Reactions: widEyed

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Just want to learn more about this, how does one tell if a piece of software is "native" to apple silicon? Or not? Like say if I go and download Spotify? Just want to learn and be more familiar with all this. Thanks.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Just want to learn more about this, how does one tell if a piece of software is "native" to apple silicon? Or not? Like say if I go and download Spotify? Just want to learn and be more familiar with all this. Thanks.
You can tell once it is installed by clicking on the Apple icon in the toolbar, about this mac, storage, manage, then choose Applications. It will show whether an application is universal or Intel. Not sure how you can tell before you install it.

Reactions: aajeevlin

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
You can tell once it is installed by clicking on the Apple icon in the toolbar, about this mac, storage, manage, then choose Applications. It will show whether an application is universal or Intel. Not sure how you can tell before you install it.
Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You can tell once it is installed by clicking on the Apple icon ...
It can be a bit easier than that, even on an Intel Mac running Big Sur.

Right click on an application that will only run natively on an Intel system and the info box looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.44.37.png

On the same Intel Mac a Universal app that would run natively on Apple Silicon looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.43.47.png

You get identical results on an Apple Silicon machine, so all pretty easy to look-up even before making the switch to the new M1 systems.

?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Sorry if I’ve missed it in the comments, but how is Cisco AnyConnect? I think I’m current on 4.9 or something?

Also, I know I’ve seen that Citrix Workspace works fine, but has anyone noticed any performance improvement?

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I wish Activity Monitor had a column that showed if a running app / process was Intel or ARM (Apple Silicon). Anyone know if there is a way to see that with Activity Monitor?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wish Activity Monitor had a column that showed if a running app / process was Intel or ARM (Apple Silicon). Anyone know if there is a way to see that with Activity Monitor?
It does. Right click on the columns and select `Architecture`.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.