Unlike Costco, Walmart Has 'No Plans' to Accept Apple Pay

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Costco, the world's second largest retailer behind Walmart, recently confirmed that it now accepts Apple Pay and other contactless payment methods at all of its 527 warehouse locations in the United States.

[​IMG]

Walmart appears to be unfazed by the move, however, as it remains committed to its own Walmart Pay platform in the United States.

"Walmart Pay is the exclusive form of mobile payment accepted at Walmart and we have no plans for that to change," said Walmart spokesperson Erin Hulliberger, in a statement provided to MacRumors today.

Walmart Pay, built into the Walmart app for iOS and Android, works at any checkout lane with any major credit, debit, pre-paid, or Walmart gift card. To use it, a customer must tap on Walmart Pay and scan the QR code displayed at the checkout. An electronic receipt is automatically sent to the app.

Walmart was originally committed to the Merchant Customer Exchange consortium and its payments solution CurrentC, which was later postponed indefinitely, before launching Walmart Pay in 2015. As of July 2016, Walmart has rolled out Walmart Pay to some 4,600 of its locations in all 50 states.

In late 2015, Walmart's senior vice president of services Daniel Eckert said Walmart Pay allows "for integration of other mobile wallets in the future," which provided hope that the big-box chain may eventually accept Apple Pay and other contactless payments, but nearly three years later, that has yet to happen.

Walmart's resistance to Apple Pay continues despite many other large retailers, including Best Buy, Rite Aid, and now Costco, reversing course and accepting the payments solution in stores. Apple recently confirmed that pharmacy chain CVS and 7-Eleven convenience stores will also accept Apple Pay starting later this year.

Last year, rival big-box chain Target likewise said it had "no plans" to make Apple Pay available in its stores, despite accepting it as a payment method in its app. Instead, Target launched a barcode-based solution.

Apple Pay launched in the United States in October 2014, providing tap-to-pay functionality with a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch after setting up a supported credit or debit card in the Wallet app. Apple Pay is now available in more than 20 countries, and is set to launch in Germany later this year.

Correction: Costco has 527 warehouses in the United States, and 758 worldwide, as of August 2018.

Article Link: Unlike Costco, Walmart Has 'No Plans' to Accept Apple Pay

2. fs454 macrumors 68000

And I have "no plans" to ever walk into a Wal Mart on principle of them holding back the advancement of a consumer-friendly tech.

Plenty of other, better stores just like it.

3. PaulSorensen macrumors regular

Unlike CostCo, I don't plan to buy anything at Walmart.

4. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

Good, cause I have exactly ZERO plans to shop at a dumpster store, which tends to attract the lowest common denominator of humanity thru its doors!

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Conveniently, I have no plans to shop at Walmart, lol. My favorite thing about being in my 30s is that I finally make enough money to avoid Walmart and not feel bad about it. Hy-Vee doesn't take Apple Pay either but we order our groceries online and they show up at our house for free. To me that is worth paying a little more for the cost of groceries!

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

What a shame, as always it’s the customers who end up losing.

Then again, what can we expect from competing standards, happens all the time :mad:

7. aka777 macrumors 6502a

It's always funny to see the underclass walk around like they're Jay Z / Bill Gates in these places.

8. geoff5093, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2018

geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

They should allow both, but offer perks for people who want to use Walmart Pay. For example, I could use my watch to pay at Dunkin Donuts, but I prefer the discounted reload cards and perks that using the app gets me. But, I have a choice.

9. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Unlike Costco, Walmart is processing more payments than Apple.

10. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Their stock was at a high last week as they broke more sales records lol..

And their e-commerce business is growing faster than Amazons

I can’t see Apple Pay at a local Walmart any time soon.

At least CVS is caving again.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

No problem! Like many other posters here, I have no plans of stepping into a Wal-Mart if I can help it. They had to close a wally world here closer to my house because it kept having shootings every week. They thought rebuilding it and moving it closer to the freeway would help. I don't feel safe going there and that is the primary reason I avoid Wal-Mart.

I go out of my way to go to places with Apple Pay. Like the Chevron 10 mins from my house vs 3, the Vallarta 15+ mins from my house vs Staters (2 mins), etc... It's convenient and fun.

12. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Look out superior people that *don't shop at Walmart*!

That condescension looks good on you. Really.

13. philfry macrumors regular

I try to shop at Wegmans when I can because they have accepted Apple Pay since almost the beginning. It isn't as convenient because it isn't as close. Plus I just enjoy shopping at Wegmans much more than Walmart.

14. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Apple is a pretty big company. They need to sit down with Walmart and work through it.

15. skys15, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018

skys15 macrumors member

skys15

Un-creative idiots. What CEO couldn’t see the benefit of making their costumers happy by way of ease of use through apple pay. Using Walmart’s mobile payment system or their app is a disaster compared to Apple Pay. I avoid going to Walmart because of it. No difference with target.

16. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

This is crazy! Almost every store in the U.K. accept Apple Pay, including ‘Asda’ who are owned by Walmart.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Ever seen what a Wal-Mart does to surrounding local businesses in the Midwest? I worked at Wal-Mart for one of my first jobs in a Midwestern state for $5.40/hr in the TLE department (2005). How anyone is supposed to afford anything at that income level is beyond me. But it shuts down a ton of local businesses in a 50+ mile radius. Here in CA I don't think it has the same effect but I've never been a big fan of Wal-Mart, and that's coming from an ex-employee. Hardly condescension and superior imo.

18. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Regarding the Chip an Pin I think he was really referring to the additional security of the PIN on Chip and Pin which isn't implemented in the U.S. for the most part. The reason for that is that PIN based transactions don't get nearly as large a transaction fee (get counted like Debit transactions)...so the banks in the U.S. go for the more profitable choice...no PIN.

19. skys15 macrumors member

skys15

Steve Jobs would’ve forced it to happen somehow haha!

20. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

Pretty much every card has switched to chip and pin, and most retailers accept it. Nearly every retailer I've been to over the last 2-3 years now has the hardware to accept it, though some don't have it activate it for some reason.

21. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Meh... they'll cave to the pressure eventually. I try to avoid them when I can anyway, but sometimes they are in fact the best place to find something locally when you can't wait for it to be shipped.

22. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

Yeah, it does. I refuse to contribute to the blue devil's attempts at destroying the economy and people's livelihoods.

23. SigurTom macrumors member

SigurTom

Nobody supports chip AND PIN for credit cards in the US.

24. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I do shop at Wal-Mart, and I pay with Amex. Every time. Have since they started this b.s.
    Amex has the highest fee for merchants.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's one thing to insult the company that refuses to allow a payment method, it's a totally different and unrelated thing to attack their customer base.