unlimited data plan no longer available...WTF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 262Runnr, Oct 7, 2011.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

so I go to the AT&T to pre-order a new 4S and I get the following message:

"Some services on your current device may not be available and will be replaced by similar services during upgrade. You may add or delete services at any time by logging into your account at ATT.com.
    Removed Features:
    Data Unlimited for iPhone
    iPhone Messaging 1500"

anyone else getting this?

2. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Order through Apple if you can: unlimited data should be an option. I used the Apple Store app on my iPhone, and unlimited data for $30 was an available option (which, of course, I chose, and it went through without a hitch).

3. sir42 macrumors 6502

I ordered through apple.com and was given an option to keep my $30 unlimited plan, which I did. I was also able to keep my $10/month txt message plan (1000 texts).

4. gatogordo macrumors newbie

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Cult of Mac got their story wrong. You are told on AT&T that you can't keep "Unlimited for iPhone" but then on the next screen, you are offered "Unlimited for iPhone 4S." Sneaky, yes, but you can still keep the unlimited data if you pay attention.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So quick to trash ATT!

When you place your order the unlimited plan for 4S is added. They are not trying to screw you. You are just getting a little over excited!

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yea the Cult of Mac like others here are twisting the information. I don't think it's intentional. I think it's the way AT&T data plans are set up, Smartphone data, iPhone data etc.

8. batman75, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011

batman75 macrumors 6502

The unlimited data for iPhone 4S is a 4G data plan, the previous plan was a 3G data plan

I thought it was pretty obvious when I placed my order at 4am this morning. I just selected the new unlimited plan. No problems. I didn't see any need to create a thread.

9. NoHo macrumors 6502

For those of us who had unlimited data with AT&T, it makes us change the plan.

For those of us with a cherished and highly coveted unlimited data plan that we were being grandfathered into will notice that there is no more option for unlimited data for iPhone. Instead, they make us choose a plan called unlimited data for iPhone 4S which is a specific data plan for a specific phone.

I bet this means that when the next phone comes out, we won't be able to keep our unlimited data plan on anything but the iPhone 4S.

Very sneaky and awful way for AT&T to get rid of unlimited data when the next iPhone comes out for those of us who have had it since it was offered years ago. If that happens, let's raise hell.

With smartphones becoming more advanced and more features being available ala iCloud and more streaming options, an unlimited data plan is going to be the holy grail of smartphone plans. Right now I use between 1gb and 5gb a month and that's just for normal stuff you do with your phone every month. Having it capped at 2gb and having to watch what you do with your phone when data becomes bigger and more expensive to use is going to be the worst thing ever.

10. jp700p macrumors regular

Bingo! When the iPhone 5 comes out next year, you better believe it will have LTE capabilities. That means if and when we buy the iphone 5 AT&T (And i'm sure Verizon will do this also) they will say, "Sorry you can't have the unlimited data, the iphone 5 has LTE and you need a tiered LTE phone plan"

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

ordered from AT&T and could easily keep my unlimited plan.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yeah, let's raise hell. We'll post a bunch of nasty complaints on forums, and then we'll go buy the new phone and take whatever plan they offer us because we can't live without it.

That'll show 'em.

:D

13. NoHo macrumors 6502

Yes, everyone could, but it's changed to 'Unlimited Data for iPhone 4S" instead of 'Unlimited Data for iPhone' like it has always been. It's a phone specific data plan meaning when the iPhone 5 or whatever is next comes out, AT&T can easily say, "You can only keep unlimited data on an iPhone 4S, not any others."

14. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Where do you see that. Heres what I see.

Data plan for iPhone 30.00$
    15% service discount -4.50$

Total price : 25.50$

15. NoHo macrumors 6502

Oh, that's different than what a lot of other people are getting.

[​IMG]

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think the OP is right, this might be 4S specific, which means we will have tiered data next year :(

17. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

I ordered on Apple.com and it popped up with the option for Unlimited Date.

18. LoganT macrumors 68020

Same for me.

19. NoHo macrumors 6502

Did it say unlimited data for iPhone or unlimited data for iPhone 4S?

If it says unlimited data for iPhone 4S, that means it's a phone specific data plan and we won't be able to use it on the next one, most likely.

20. Stealthipad, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

No doubt that AT&T is going to stop the unlimited when they do LTE.

We all knew it would happen sooner or later.

21. SooneratND macrumors regular

Apple.com only says "Unlimited Data." Doesn't distinguish between the two. I think you may be jumping to conclusions here.

22. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Maybe people who use too much data are being shunted to the 4s specific plan... I upgraded my wife's line (she only has the 200mb plan) and will swap phones with her, so I didn't see any effect this go around...

23. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

I ordered via the App Store app and I did retain my unlimited data. =)