Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ap009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I have an iPhone 4 with an unlimited data plan and I think it might be time to get a new phone finally. I was considering trading in my 4 for the $200 credit towards a 6. I would like to know if there is a way to keep my unlimited data besides paying full price for a new phone. We have 5 phones on the account and 3 have upgrades, including an upgrade on my line. Would I be able to use one of the other upgrades and somehow keep my unlimited data? Obviously my iPhone 4 has no SIM card so I can't just transfer that into the new phone.
Phones with account:
Regular phone
iPhone 5s with 2GB data
iPhone 4s with 2GB(available for upgrade)
Regular phone(available for upgrade)
Iphone 4 UD(upgrade available)
I went into the verizon store try to upgrade and ran into some issues. I asked about all the ways of upgrading without losing unlimited and they said they couldn't do any of them. They offered me 6GB of data for the same price as unlimited. Do I need to order online or try a different store before agreeing to the 6GB plan? I just don't want to change my data plan and then find out that it was possible to keep it somehow.

andrewket

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
Go read the apple.com UDP thread and order a 6 using that method asap before the the hole is patched.

docderwood

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
You've got to either pay full retail or buy an unlocked phone from another vendor that is Verizon compatible (Think eBay etc) and put your SIM from your current phone.

Or sell your unlimited plan on Ebay (Assumption of liability) to get some extra cash to do help pay for the new phone, but you will lose unlimited data as you will have to sign up under new plan.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
I have an iPhone 4 with an unlimited data plan and I think it might be time to get a new phone finally. I was considering trading in my 4 for the $200 credit towards a 6. I would like to know if there is a way to keep my unlimited data besides paying full price for a new phone. We have 5 phones on the account and 3 have upgrades, including an upgrade on my line. Would I be able to use one of the other upgrades and somehow keep my unlimited data? Obviously my iPhone 4 has no SIM card so I can't just transfer that into the new phone.

Phones with account:

Regular phone

iPhone 5s with 2GB data

I went into the verizon store try to upgrade and ran into some issues. I asked about all the ways of upgrading without losing unlimited and they said they couldn't do any of them. They offered me 6GB of data for the same price as unlimited. Do I need to order online or try a different store before agreeing to the 6GB plan? I just don't want to change my data plan and then find out that it was possible to keep it somehow.

I believe any scenario you do you will first need a lte sim for your current line. Do you have an old lte phone you can use on your current line? You can call up and request a new sim for that phone to be used on your line. Then once that's set up you can just use the upgrade on the basic line to get a new iPhone and then switch it to your udp line. Or you can transfer your udp upgrade to the 5s line which will extend your udp lines contract.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
You do not have a SIM card in a 4...

If you have a "4", you do not have a SIM card in it to put in your "6" when it arrives. I have four UDP lines with 4's, and had to decide to get a shared plan, or buy my phones outright. I chose to keep my UDP lines and bought four 6's outright from Verizon. Once I heard Verizon was not going to "throttle" I chose to keep my UDP lines. It will cost more to start, but it will save me about $40 a month. That is what a 30GB shared plan was going to cost me, as compared to my current Nationwide 1400 minute plan. You need to choose.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
If you decide to ditch the ULD plan, please pm me so we can make a deal. I rely on Verizon LTE for home internet out here in rural MI and you can only imagine how bad data caps suck.

Ap009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I believe any scenario you do you will first need a lte sim for your current line. Do you have an old lte phone you can use on your current line? You can call up and request a new sim for that phone to be used on your line. Then once that's set up you can just use the upgrade on the basic line to get a new iPhone and then switch it to your udp line. Or you can transfer your udp upgrade to the 5s line which will extend your udp lines contract.

I have an old 4s, so do I just call Verizon and ask for a SIM card for this phone? Then would I just transfer the SIM card to the new phone once I buy it through another line? Anyone else have any experience with this?

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
I have an old 4s, so do I just call Verizon and ask for a SIM card for this phone? Then would I just transfer the SIM card to the new phone once I buy it through another line? Anyone else have any experience with this?

You will need a 4g lte phone before you call to ask for a sim. The 4s isn't a 4g lte phone. I would also check out the thread I posted below and others like it over at androidcentral so you can familiarize yourself with your options of getting a new phone and keeping your udp.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=227608

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
You've got to either pay full retail or buy an unlocked phone from another vendor that is Verizon compatible (Think eBay etc) and put your SIM from your current phone.

Or sell your unlimited plan on Ebay (Assumption of liability) to get some extra cash to do help pay for the new phone, but you will lose unlimited data as you will have to sign up under new plan.

Simply not true

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Go read the apple.com UDP thread and order a 6 using that method asap before the the hole is patched.

Has it been closed already? Whenever I try to buy an iPhone 6 it only shows me the new plans. I currently have an UDP.

kl323

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Does anyone have any luck swapping numbers? I have two lines one with UDP and another with 2gb. The 2gb line is my main line which I would like to have UDP with. Is it possible? I've been shot down once

andrewket

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
Does anyone have any luck swapping numbers? I have two lines one with UDP and another with 2gb. The 2gb line is my main line which I would like to have UDP with. Is it possible? I've been shot down once

Only way to do it is to port the number out to another provider such as Google voice and then port it back in.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Phones with account:
Regular phone
iPhone 5s with 2GB data

You should be able to simply order a new phone using the upgrade from one of the other lines and then activate it on your line when it arrives. As long as the order is placed on the non-UDP line, you're fine. That's what I did. No sim swapping or anything else needed. I had an upgrade on my UDP (with iPhone 5). I transferred the upgrade to my wife's line (iPhone 4 with 2gb plan). I ordered the 6 on her line then. When the 6 showed up, I simply activated it on my line. I then transferred my 5 to her line and sold the 4 to Verizon. Still have UDP.

luciphear

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Is it possible to port out while the line is under contract? Thx!

yes you can, see: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/779321?start=50&tstart=0

request a new number from verizon then initiate the port. VZ holds onto discarded numbers for 49 days or so in case you change your mind.

once it's completely ported out, port it back into the line desired.

----------

Phones with account:
Regular phone
iPhone 5s with 2GB data

here's what you do: from VZW.com apply iphone 4's upgrade to the iphone 5s 2gb line.

Get new phone, activate it on the 2gb line. by turning it on.
Do a device swap order, swapping the new phone with the iphone 4 line.
Reactivate your old 5s phone on the 2gb contracted line using the same interface on VZW.com

repeat with your other lines with upgrades available :)

you can also get more UDP lines per the other threat linked and cancel that 4s 2gb line :D

Port out its number to google voice which will effectively cancel the line. Place order at apple.com for instore pickup, getting a new UDP line, port the number back in from GV

Last edited:

kl323

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
yes you can, see: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/779321?start=50&tstart=0

request a new number from verizon then initiate the port. VZ holds onto discarded numbers for 49 days or so in case you change your mind.

once it's completely ported out, port it back into the line desired.

----------

here's what you do: from VZW.com apply iphone 4's upgrade to the iphone 5s 2gb line.

Get new phone, activate it on the 2gb line. by turning it on.
Do a device swap order, swapping the new phone with the iphone 4 line.
Reactivate your old 5s phone on the 2gb contracted line using the same interface on VZW.com

repeat with your other lines with upgrades available :)

you can also get more UDP lines per the other threat linked and cancel that 4s 2gb line :D

Port out its number to google voice which will effectively cancel the line. Place order at apple.com for instore pickup, getting a new UDP line, port the number back in from GV

If VZW holds the number for 40 days, why not just cancel the phone number that I want to keep. Get a new number reassigned. Wait a day. Then have the just cancelled number reinstated to the line that I want? Not sure if anyone tried that. This way, I can bypass Google and the $20 fee.

Also re: UDP plans and in store pick up, it's risky, cuz it didn't work for me..

luciphear

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
If VZW holds the number for 40 days, why not just cancel the phone number that I want to keep. Get a new number reassigned. Wait a day. Then have the just cancelled number reinstated to the line that I want? Not sure if anyone tried that. This way, I can bypass Google and the $20 fee.

Also re: UDP plans and in store pick up, it's risky, cuz it didn't work for me..

verizon doesnt let u port to themselves

Ap009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
You should be able to simply order a new phone using the upgrade from one of the other lines and then activate it on your line when it arrives. As long as the order is placed on the non-UDP line, you're fine. That's what I did. No sim swapping or anything else needed. I had an upgrade on my UDP (with iPhone 5). I transferred the upgrade to my wife's line (iPhone 4 with 2gb plan). I ordered the 6 on her line then. When the 6 showed up, I simply activated it on my line. I then transferred my 5 to her line and sold the 4 to Verizon. Still have UDP.

So I just buy it from another line and then activate it on my line? How does this work? What process do I need to go to to activate it on a different line than bought on?

Ap009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Also, would I be able to buy it in an Apple store if I wanted to buy it on one line and activate it on a different one?

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
So I just buy it from another line and then activate it on my line? How does this work? What process do I need to go to to activate it on a different line than bought on?

Just call and tell them you bought the phone on another line but want to activate it on yours. That's all. That allows you to keep UDP, assuming your line is the one with UDP.

hoogguns

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I already have 5 lines and added another several weeks ago

Hey everyone,

New here, have been lurking around trying to find a solution to my issue, which is:

1) I already have 5 lines on my Family Plan

Line 1: IP6 w/UDP (upgrade eligible) used upgrade from line 3 to get IP6
Line 2: IP6+ w/UDP - used skyzek method to upgrade (transferred upgrade to
line 3 after line 1 had received their iPhone)
Line 3: TDP IP6+ (used own upgrade)
Line 4: TDP IP4S (no upgrade available)
Line 5: TDP SG3 (no upgrade available)

2) When the apple.com "unlimited iPhone" was first discovered I went thru the process and ordered a phone, apple has sent me emails with the phones #, and it was delivered yesterday (I ordered it weeks ago).

3) It is not showing up in Verizon, nor do I have any notifications that Verizon is aware of it...but they probably are.

Any idea's on how to handle this situation and maintain unlimited data on the other phone?

----------

I guess to make my question easier:

Can I call and create a sub-account; will that fix my issue? Or would it be better to do an AOL? If I do an AOL, can I do it to myself? Any recommendations on which line to AOL?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Line 1: IP6 w/UDP (upgrade eligible) used upgrade from line 3 to get IP6
Line 2: IP6+ w/UDP - used skyzek method to upgrade (transferred upgrade to
line 3 after line 1 had received their iPhone)
Line 3: TDP IP6+ (used own upgrade)
Line 4: TDP IP4S (no upgrade available)
Line 5: TDP SG3 (no upgrade available)

2) When the apple.com "unlimited iPhone" was first discovered I went thru the process and ordered a phone, apple has sent me emails with the phones #, and it was delivered yesterday (I ordered it weeks ago).

3) It is not showing up in Verizon, nor do I have any notifications that Verizon is aware of it...but they probably are.

Any idea's on how to handle this situation and maintain unlimited data on the other phone?
Post on the UDP for life thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1801772/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.