Unlock for iPhone coming out soon, no need, install anyway?

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Any benefit to unlocking if we dont need it?
Any1 have a logical reason why I should or shouldn't?

In my eyes, I see it as I might as well...

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Hmm I guess.
I cant think of reasons to or not too, and with my blobs on 4.0 i could always go back if I need to.
I guess I wont.
And thanks for the suggestion. I wouldnt have thought of that lmao

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
As long as you remain jailbroken and have Cydia installed, you can unlock in 2 minutes if needed.
I agree.
No need to install an unlock now if you're using it on official carrier.
If later you need to it only takes a minute or 2 to install ultrasnow from cydia.
Its always good to have an unlockable baseband if you decide to sell it down the road.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I am wondering the same thing. Wouldn't it be beneficial to have the phone unlocked so I have the option to use it on any carrier in the future or to sell it, even if I am currently under contract with AT&T?

Is there any reason not to unlock the phone... as in, will it interfere with my current AT&T service to have the phone unlocked?
Always unlock to sell. The price goes way up.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the responses. One thing I am cautious of is the "just do it right when you need it" mentality, only because nothing seems to be absolute or lasting in the jailbreak world. If somehow the whole system crumbled within the next two years, I'd rather have a premature unlocked iPhone than one that I couldn't unlock for whatever reason down the road.
The whole system will not crumble.
You will still be able to find the unlock package on cydia and just install it.
But up to you if you want to do it now its ok.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Agreed.
i was going to, then not, then kinda leaning toward it, then not.
Whatever.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you go on vacation outside the US, it'd be helpful to unlock and avoid international roaming.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think if you don't need to unlock right now then you shouldn't do it. You can always do it later when you do need it through Cydia.

The reason I think you shouldn't do it unless you need it is because I believe the unlock runs as a background process continuously and it may give your battery life a ding. How much that ding is, I don't know -- might not even be significant, but hey if you don't need it, why bother with it right now?

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I think if you don't need to unlock right now then you shouldn't do it. You can always do it later when you do need it through Cydia.

The reason I think you shouldn't do it unless you need it is because I believe the unlock runs as a background process continuously and it may give your battery life a ding. How much that ding is, I don't know -- might not even be significant, but hey if you don't need it, why bother with it right now?
This can't possibly be right. Any battery life problems you have must be a result of something else, like winterboard or lockinfo.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
This can't possibly be right. Any battery life problems you have must be a result of something else, like winterboard or lockinfo.
Why can't this possibly be right? If the unlock continuously runs as a background process, it will affect your battery life. Therefore the concept of battery drain is not impossible. How significant that drain is, I don't know, but it does drain it. The unlock isn't a program that simply changes some file around in your phone and then turns itself off -- its constantly running and keeping your phone unlocked.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Why can't this possibly be right? If the unlock continuously runs as a background process, it will affect your battery life. Therefore the concept of battery drain is not impossible. How significant that drain is, I don't know, but it does drain it. The unlock isn't a program that simply changes some file around in your phone and then turns itself off -- its constantly running and keeping your phone unlocked.
My bad, I was not aware that the unlock functioned as a constantly running process. Is this the only way an unlock is possible? I was under the impression that it's (or has been/could be) a one-time thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.