Carrier Unlock your AT&T Next Device or Device still in contract for FREE (YMMV)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Jan 13, 2015.

1. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

No luck today either!

I get an email saying the device can't be unlocked within seconds of confirming the unlock request. I think it has to be automated to generate a response that quickly.

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Out of curiosity, I if you want to PM me your IMEI number I will try to request on my account. As if I now own the phone. I had good luck with my request.

3. lkim03 macrumors newbie

hi! long story short: a couple weeks ago i asked AT&T about getting my phone unlocked because i was traveling abroad this semester for school. they denied my request so i tried this one website which has been lagging on the unlock. (maybe just doesn't work in general :( ) i'm already abroad and have been using airplane mode + wifi for a week now...

just now i've tried at least 8x on the at&t unlock website. i'm getting denied instantly so far ..

i have an iphone 5c from feb 2014, i believe on the NEXT plan.

should i continue trying? about to give up and cry!!! ugh help anyone?

4. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Thanks! But I don't think it would work w/o removing it from my account and associating the phone with your account see here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20602314&postcount=43

Also, you only get 5 unlocks a year so if you are able to unlock someone's phone, it would count against your 5.

But you know if it would work, you could charge for it, lol!

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah you're probably right. Though I am not worried about my limit I have my two unlocked and won't be getting a new phone until the 7 or 7S.

6. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I believe the only chance it would work is if the phone was not active on another AT&T account and I think it would have to be associated with the unlocker's account from what I read on a thread at Howard Forums. And in theory the unlocker's account would have to be off contract, although as is happening here, that may not be an absolute requirement.

7. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

So for one of the iP5s that was an Apple replacement device I received an unlock approval. No surprise there. But for that one, I didn't receive an immediate denial.

For the one that is not a replacement device, I immediately get a denial.

8. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Success! I got the other two requests completed!

I have a question though. For my other 6+, the email only looked like this, i didnt get the list of unlock instructions:

Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

I looked it up on the status checker on at&t site, and it says the same thing. No actual unlock instructions. It says its completed though.

Does this mean anything?

Also, the phones are unlocked now right? I haven't actually done the "unlock instructions" or put a foreign sim card in them. I can do that whenever i want right? I don't have a certain amount of time do i?

9. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

You don't have to do anything. It's unlocked already if you got that email. They just tell you to do all that so you can see the popup saying it's unlocked.

After I got the email I just popped in another sim and it worked instantly.

10. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Theres no time limit on when i put a sim card in or whatever is there? I need to actually get a tmobile nano sim...I don't know how long this will take me.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No time limit. The phone is officially unlocked now for good.
    You don't have to do anything on your end.

12. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Has anyone had repeated denials where you got the denial w/in a minute or so from clicking on the confirmation link and subsequently got a successful unlock?

It seems to me these denials that are coming so quickly have to be automated.

The iP5s I am trying to unlock is on contract but not active on the line.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes I got a few denials yesterday. All within minutes of submitting the request.
    I'll try again later.
    Hope it goes thru at some time.

14. lkim03 macrumors newbie

Its the same for me. I request it and get denied a minute later.. Just going to keep trying?

15. JulesJam, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

So I have been trying for several hours now. I indicated that I was military - denied b/c I didn't send in info on my deployment. Indicated that I was not an AT&T customer - denied b/c I had not fulfilled my contract. Indicated that I was a previous customer - denied b/c I had not fulfilled my contract.

Indicating that I was a current customer, I used every different phone number on my account along with the IMEI and then tried different emails and did the various combinations several times each, I cleared cookies/history b/t attempts, made the request from different IP addresses - all denied b/c I had not fulfilled my contract.

Then I submitted indicating it was a Prepaid/Go phone. Now my request is under review.

I will keep you posted.

16. technosix macrumors 6502a

I've had particularly good service from AT&T. Over the last several years I've had several iPhone's unlocked. Paid for or not, it hasn't made a difference in my case. While I've never had a reason to ask for the criteria, I'd venture a guess that perhaps the fact that I have maintained a total of six active lines for over seven years without any late payments, that may be why they always accommodate me.

17. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

The account I am trying to get the unlocks on has been with AT&T back when it was Cingular. Never been late, always paid up on time. 3 lines.

Everytime I have called ATT about unlocks, changing phone numbers or assumption of liability, the reps have been rude. The lines have UDP so that may be why. Such a difference from Verizon!

18. technosix macrumors 6502a

Your experience is a stellar example of why the cellular industry is reviled. It's completely unacceptable that I have one experience and yours is exactly the opposite.

19. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Still under review. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Has anyone whose request was put under review received an unlock over the weekend? It says 2 business days so I was wondering if that meant that they don't process these on the weekend.

----------

One time I called to get an iPhone unlocked for my 20 yo niece who was traveling to Europe to study abroad. There was less than 6 months left on the contract and again, these lines have been with AT&T since it was Cingular. They would not budge on unlocking it and I tried several times.

I explained to the reps that we weren't going to leave AT&T and had been loyal, prompt paying customers for years who renewed their contract every 2 years as soon as it expired, so there was no reason to think we would leave AT&T. And I let them know that not allowing us to unlock the phones did not mean that we would be using the AT&T international plans. Refusing to unlock the iPhone was simply forcing us to buy a used unlocked phone and then sell it when she returned, which is what we did. I ended up not losing any money on the transaction b/c I got the phone for such a good deal. Still it was a hassle and with used phones there is always the possibility of getting scammed.

20. lkim03 macrumors newbie

I basically am in the same situation as your 20 year old niece. I was leaving to study abroad for 5 months (left, arrived now, actually) I remember a few weeks ago calling at&t and explaining the situation about how I would still be paying for the phone, especially when its on a family plan that wasn't planning on leaving any time soon. At one point I was talking to a representative who seemed to be nice and wanted to unlock my phone for me, until her supervisor cut her off and was very rude to me. I thought I could find an unlocking service by the time I flew abroad, but here I am abroad with a phone that is still locked. I've been able to get away with just using wifi when available, but it is very stressful.

Maybe I will try the Prepaid option like you did. Let us know the results?

21. AppleGuruOne macrumors member

Worked super smooth for me. Requested online, got an approval about a week later, did a restore, and the phone unlock message appeared.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn, the past few days I get denials within minutes.
    I just gotta unlock the 3 iphone 6 plus.

23. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

It can't hurt to try it. Mine is still under review. It says 2 business days so I don't think anything will happen over the weekend.

24. JulesJam, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Has anyone whose request was put under review received an unlock over the weekend or have the unlocks always occurred on a weekday?

25. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I still haven't heard back on my GoPhone request. I put in another request as Current Customer and it was denied w/in seconds.