Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An unreleased Mac mini has been spotted within code of the latest Studio Display firmware, adding credence to rumors that Apple is working on an updated Mac mini that could debut sometime this year.

m1-mac-mini-screen.jpg

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith revealed on Twitter that within iOS 15.4 for the Studio Display, a reference to "Macmini10,1" has been found. That model identifier does not match any existing released Mac mini and is likely to be the model ID for a rumored upcoming Mac mini.

Earlier rumors suggested that Apple had plans to release a new high-end Mac mini to replace the Intel-based model in the lineup. Following the launch of the Mac Studio, a hybrid between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, however, rumors have been slightly unclear on whether the upcoming Mac mini is a low-end or high-end product.

Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has cautioned against the prospect that a new high-end Mac mini would be announced this year, saying instead a launch will take place in 2023. Apple may be planning to release a new low-end Mac mini to replace the M1 model currently in the lineup with the "M2" Apple silicon chip while keeping a high-end model planned for next year, as Kuo has indicated.

Article Link: Unreleased Mac Mini Spotted in Latest Studio Display Firmware

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Why would Apple release M2 just for the Mac Mini while all other Mac line up are M1

With that "logic" we'd be stuck with M1 based Macs forever.

Obvious guess:
About 1 month after the iPhone event Apple will replace Mini and MBA with M2 variants. No "Pro" or "Max" level chips just the base model with 8/16GB of RAM and a modest number of cores.

It will be 2023 till we see M2xxx based MBPs and maybe an iMac (which might just as well be only the base M2).

Last edited:

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
With that "logic" we'd be stuck with M1 based Macs forever.

Obvious guess:
About 1 month after the iPhone event Apple will replace Mini and MBA with M2 variants. No "Pro" or "Max" level chips just the base model with 8/16GB of RAM and a modest number of cores.

It will be 2023 till we see M2xxx based MBPs and maybe an iMac (which might just as well be only the base M2).

Still waiting for the G6 PowerPC Mac ;)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I don’t see why they would need to move to the next version already.

Assuming a fall launch for the next Mini it will be 2 years....

I won't understand not profiting the M1 Pro on the Mac Mini and/or iMac 24"

Both would require a different mobo. For the iMac it would have been still dead obvious and I am still pretty certain that what they had planned with the 2 fan version bit it somehow fell through.

For the Mini it makes limited sense, sure there is a big price jump to the Studio, but that would need be filled with BTO options:
- 2x doubling RAM
- 1x doubling storage
- 3x CPU upgrade (M1 -> binnedM1Pro -> fullM1Pro -> binnedM1Max)

If they wanted to do that they would have done it already. WWDC is NOT for HW, sure they might talk about the MacPro, show up some new AirPods or such but thats it.

After WWDC is the summer drought followed by the iPhone launch and soon after M1 turns 2 (pun intended).

There is also no reason to believe that a M2 Mini will cost more to make than a M1(Pro) based one and depending how the M2 is configured and how they can spread it out by binning that M1ProMini might look more than a bit stupid in just a few months.

Jeo_cz

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Prague, CZ
A Mac Mini with the M1 Pro for £1300/£1400 would be perfect to sit between the £700-£900 M1 Mini and the £1999 Mac Studio
And it will eventually come. But now, as a perfect marketing, people waiting for this product are pushed to pay more and buy the Mac Studio. It gives Apple another profit increase.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Why would Apple release M2 just for the Mac Mini while all other Mac line up are M1, my wild guess would be Mac Mini Pro M1.
Well, the M2 Air is still being rumoured for Real Soon Now and once that's out there's no reason why the other regular M1 machines shouldn't follow quickly - the M1 Air, Mini and 13: MBP all launched together.

Also, the some of the M2 rumours give it 20% faster single-core performance than the M1 and an extra GPU core, which means that it's quite likely to be all-round faster than the "binned" 8-core M1 Pro, and at least erode the advantage of the full M1 Pro. So I think it is too late in the day to be thinking about new M1 Pro machines.

Reactions: opeter

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Both would require a different mobo. For the iMac it would have been still dead obvious and I am still pretty certain that what they had planned with the 2 fan version bit it somehow fell through.

For the Mini it makes limited sense, sure there is a big price jump to the Studio, but that would need be filled with BTO options:
- 2x doubling RAM
- 1x doubling storage
- 3x CPU upgrade (M1 -> binnedM1Pro -> fullM1Pro -> binnedM1Max)

If they wanted to do that they would have done it already. WWDC is NOT for HW, sure they might talk about the MacPro, show up some new AirPods or such but thats it.

After WWDC is the summer drought followed by the iPhone launch and soon after M1 turns 2 (pun intended).

There is also no reason to believe that a M2 Mini will cost more to make than a M1(Pro) based one and depending how the M2 is configured and how they can spread it out by binning that M1ProMini might look more than a bit stupid in just a few months.
I can totally get your arguments, my point was just that M1 Pro is such a wonderful chip and just using it on the MBP seems not profitted 100% from a consumer point-of-view. Not to mention that Mac Mini needs to offer 32GB again in the Apple Silicon version, maybe M2 will offer this, who knows.

On the other hand as @Jeo_cz mentions, I think the Mac Mini w/M1 Pro will eventually arrive, but at this moment, maybe they won't cannibalize the Mac Studio sells, a lot of us were expecting to see this particular config to be released at Spring Event, and it didn't happen.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I have a feeling, that the Mac mini wont get any Pro version of the M CPUs. At least not for the foreseable future.
And there will also be a limitation in RAM. Maybe they will raise it to 32 GB in the following year or two, but that is.

There will be two powerhouses: one will be the Mac Studio and the other the upcomming Mac Pro with Apple Silicon.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Well, the M2 Air is still being rumoured for Real Soon Now and once that's out there's no reason why the other regular M1 machines shouldn't follow quickly - the M1 Air, Mini and 13: MBP all launched together.

Also, the some of the M2 rumours give it 20% faster single-core performance than the M1 and an extra GPU core, which means that it's quite likely to be all-round faster than the "binned" 8-core M1 Pro, and at least erode the advantage of the full M1 Pro. So I think it is too late in the day to be thinking about new M1 Pro machines.
Very good thinking! ?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
For the iMac it would have been still dead obvious and I am still pretty certain that what they had planned with the 2 fan version bit it somehow fell through.
That does seem possible - would explain the otherwise bizarre distinction to use two extra USB-C ports as a differentiating factor between models. The M1 Pro would have supported more ports & more external displays.

However, its possible that what "fell through" was that the base M1 turned out to have more than enough power to replace the old 21.3" iMac range. I also wonder if the M1 Mini was an unexpected success & got Apple leaning more towards the Studio as a mid-range iMac replacement.

WWDC is NOT for HW, sure they might talk about the MacPro
WWDC proper is about developers, but the keynote has a much wider audience and if Apple has stuff to launch or pre-announce then, they will do. The 2019 Mac Pro, the iMac Pro, the trashcan were all announced at WWDC.

I think they pretty much have to talk about the Mac Pro if they're serious about staying in the high-end "Pro" market - there's only so much uncertainty customers can take.

A Q1 launch for the M2 Air and a Q4 launch for a new Mini would be more typical, but if things have been disrupted by shortages, anything goes. Of course, "anything goes" includes "nothing goes".

Reactions: iPadified

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
m2? it kinda hard and impossible . For sure apple want to max their investment . If m2 , what the point buying studio ? even m1 in ipad now .

farciar

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2022
I wish it is M2 PRO ;)

But the reality is that even M2 32GB or M1 PRO would cannibalise MAC STUDIO sales like hell.

Reactions: Miat

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
My understanding from the recent peek performance event was that the last M1 based product to come would be the Mac Pro to complete the Apple Silicon transition.

Then the M2 cycle would begin after the Mac Pro unveiling around WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.