Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
If I am understanding you correctly, you want the new Mac Mini to be ran with an A8? Why bother? Might as well just put everyone on an iPad. There are plenty of us that want a real computer with real power and certainly memory, drive and data volume capacity.

For the rest of us who want a Mac Mini COMPUTER, we'll have to see what Apple has in store for us. Like many, I hope for better graphics and maybe a newer technology CPU. My only concern is that Apple will used proprietary guts so it is difficult to DIY upgrade.

Yeah but you are a dying breed. You don't make Apple money. The numbers prove this. And this breed really wants a full blown MacBook, not a Mac Mini. And there is far more money there too.
The average consumer does not need a full blown Mac.

The Mini should be for the average consumer, the one where the money's at. The ones who bought Dell PC's and never used anything close to Photoshop or for anything other than basic computing. It would be ideal as "the" home computer. They would need a box to send their iPad and iPhone photos to their big screen TV. To watch Netflix. Play Games. Do homework. For the security cameras. For all the new home automation products in the pipeline. There is increasingly the need for an affordable at-home companion device to our mobile gadgets.

Basically a far more capable Apple TV.

Last edited:

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
The disregard Apple shows for the Mini is really getting played out.
People like it, people want it, so stop starving it so you can sell more iMacs.

I own a Mini, I will always buy a Mini and I will never buy an iMac.
I know I'm not the only one and I have money waiting to be spent.
Stop the insanity

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The disregard Apple shows for the Mini is really getting played out.
People like it, people want it, so stop starving it so you can sell more iMacs.

I own a Mini, I will always buy a Mini and I will never buy an iMac.
I know I'm not the only one and I have money waiting to be spent.
Stop the insanity

The people who have mac minis, love their Mac Minis. Why Apple has neglected it from trivial upgrades is baffling. Going off Apples track record, whenever there is no update for an extended period of time, a massive redesign is coming.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Love the mini, my 2007 is still going strong :). Been great as an itunes server but since newer versions of osx won't run on it I will upgrade soon.

Have to decide whether to get a new mini or use my 2011 iMac for an itunes server and get a better imac :)

Guess until both the mini and iMacs get a refresh, I will stick with what I got.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I think it is time to redefine the mac mini. as an afordable home computer for the masses that takes the place of the mini, apple tv, home automation, gaming and sycs with your iPhone, iPad and the rest of your apple gear with an Apple chip for umder 300 dollars. $299

Changing processors would save Apple at most $200 per chip, and that's not including the cost of redesigning the Mini's hardware to support it. Apple would also need to write a version of OSX for the A8.

Overall, not impossible. Probably more likely that they'd launch a laptop version first. Like a Macbook Air priced at $500, running an A8 (or set of A8's). I think your $299 price point is pretty close to impossible though, if Apple wants to maintain current profit margins.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
A long long product cycle

Glad to see interest in the Mac Mini, but almost 2 years between upgrades shakes my confidence.

The MacPro took too long, but it was a complete redesign.

Chips have been available for quite some time and the weak graphics should be updated. Seems like an important product to me, not sure why Apple doesn't treat it like one.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Of course the rumors hit the day my order from apple goes into "preparing for shipment" stage..... If it hits soon I will consider it (if they don't make it un-upgradeable. If they solder everything I won't even consider it.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Changing processors would save Apple at most $200 per chip, and that's not including the cost of redesigning the Mini's hardware to support it. Apple would also need to write a version of OSX for the A8.

Overall, not impossible. Probably more likely that they'd launch a laptop version first. Like a Macbook Air priced at $500, running an A8 (or set of A8's). I think your $299 price point is pretty close to impossible though, if Apple wants to maintain current profit margins.

There would be much higher margins on a plain box A8 Mac Mini for $300 than a full rig with clam shell assembly, retina display, battery and keyboard. The 500 product you speak of would lose money. Apple sells a iPad which is just a screen for that much.

There was a time when cars did not need or have computers to operate, now they are musts. Same thing is happening to the home. They will be integral to the modern home. Control your all aspects of your home. Someone is going to fill that gap. Google and Microsoft are sure as hell going to try. There will be app ecosystems for connected homes. You have to look beyond the status quo. Your imagination is too instilled in the past.

Last edited:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Why not just get an iMac ?

Have an existing monitor or general desktop setup you're happy with?

Want a Mac as a TV media centre?

Need a small headless server to pop in the cupboard under the stairs?

The Mac mini might just be for you. :)

Personally I have a Macbook Air connected 24/7 to my TV and Apple just replaced the battery for it which plummeted to like 65% health over two and half years. I need to replace it sharpish with a more suitable machine and a Windows box / Apple TV wont cut it.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
If all they're going to do is put the latest Intel chips inside it, and give it a RAM boost, then they could announce that using their website only.

If there's more coming, it might be unveiled at the September/October hardware event - but then that wouldn't be 'Mid 2014'.

----------

This maybe a stupid question so be kind:

What's the windows OS version reference all about in the top of the table?

It's a 'System Requirements for Microsoft Windows' page. You use the graph to work out which versions of Windows and Boot Camp are supported on your Mac.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Is there an affordable way for an inexpensive platform like a Mini to support "4K" (3840x2160p60) HDMI?

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Even though it'd be an "iPhone Event" I could see Apple announcing it there before they get to the iPhone stuff.

Though I do remember what Apple classifies as "mid" and "late" when doing updates are usually a bit different than what the general person would think. So it could be announced at the hardware event where they announce the new iPad and maybe announce the rumored iWatch. Though that would be a lot of announcements in one keynote. Though I'd expect it wouldn't take long to announce a quick upgrade unless their is a full redesign on the mini.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
So in October Apple will release a redesign Mac Mini? Or next week we will se a silent bump to haswell?

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
There would be much higher margins on a plain box A8 Mac Mini for $300 than a full rig with clam shell assembly, retina display, battery and keyboard. The 500 product you speak of would lose money. Apple sells a iPad which is just a screen for that much.

There was a time when cars did not need or have computers to operate, now they are musts. Same thing is happening to the home. They will be integral to the modern home. Control your all aspects of your home. Someone is going to fill that gap. Google and Microsoft are sure as hell going to try. There will be app ecosystems for connected homes. You have to look beyond the status quo. Your imagination is too instilled in the past.

The problem with your argument is sales quantity. Not many people want a mini computer. I want a portable one (laptop) and a full-sized one that can do serious work (desktop). A mini doesn't do me a lot of good. Given the sales numbers of the Mini, and the relative lack of PC-equivalents, it's obvious that most people feel the same way.

Your argument about the integrated home is silly. Why would this require an additional computer? I have a Nest thermostat, and it is controlled by my smartphone. You know, a device that you have in your pocket 24/7, and has an always-on data connection. I could also control it from my laptop or desktop, but I've done that maybe once or twice ever.

I find your scenario highly unlikely, at least for the next 10 years. On the other hand, Chromebooks currently make up 20% of the laptop market. Right now, today. They're also very similar to the A8 laptop that I mentioned above.

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
Well, we have seen the update of the design already, haven't we?
Not the Mac Pro like, but.. What did change from Mac Mini like design to something that "takes less space from your desk"?

product_hero_image.jpg

You guessed right, Airport Extreme and Time Capsule!
And now they'll get new friend, Mac Mini!

But this is all just speculative and I personally hope that this won't happen until I die on January 2178.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.