Upcoming 2017 Google Pixel XL May Feature 'Squeezable' Frame for Activating Google Assistant

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google's second-generation Pixel XL could feature a squeezable body, a 6-inch AMOLED display, and thinner bezels, according to information and rendered images leaked today by Android Police.

LG is said to be manufacturing the Google Pixel XL 2, which features a design that's curved like the original Google Pixel. It continues to offer a rear fingerprint sensor (now located in the aluminum portion of the device) and a large single-lens camera, eschewing the dual-lens camera trend.

[​IMG]
    Rendering created by Android Police

The XL version, which is the only version covered in the leak, offers a 6-inch LG-made display with a 2:1 aspect ratio, rounded corners, and a "minimal bezel." Design wise, it could look a little like Apple's rumored iPhone 8, which is also expected to have a longer design with much thinner side and top/bottom bezels. Current iPhone 8 leaks suggest Apple's device will have little to no bottom bezel and a smaller top bezel, however.

Most notably, the 2017 Pixel XL is rumored to include a "squeezable" frame like the recently launched HTC U11. The technology will let Pixel users squeeze their handsets to activate Google Assistant "in various ways."

In the HTC U11, the "Edge Sense" feature lets people use a squeeze gesture to activate pressure sensors that can turn on the flashlight, launch the camera, take a photo, or launch Google Assistant.

It's not clear when Google's second-generation Pixel XL device will be released, but the original version was unveiled in October of 2016, so a fall release date could be planned. If that's the case, the Pixel XL will launch during the same time frame as the iPhone 8 and could be one of the device's main competitors along with the already-available Samsung Galaxy S8 and the yet-to-be announced rumored Galaxy Note 8.

Article Link: Upcoming 2017 Google Pixel XL May Feature 'Squeezable' Frame for Activating Google Assistant

2. sp3k0psv3t macrumors regular

sp3k0psv3t

Not that useful really but cool progress.

At least making an effort.

Good job Google.

3. RCS31 macrumors regular

If I were Google I'd focus on trying to put that finger print sensor underneath the glass as opposed to the back, like Apple are trying to do instead of adding gimmicks like this to their device...

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I was excited when the first Pixel was announced, but this...booooring!

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

That would be nice for a flashlight.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

1. Dumbest smartphone feature I've seen in a long time.

2. The first Pixel just recently hit the 1 million sold mark. This is not an iPhone or Samsung competitor.

7. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

If they release an API for developers, expect the Play Store to get flooded with tons of digital versions of these things:

[​IMG]

8. NexusUser macrumors member

NexusUser

Back mounted finger print scanners are the best IMO, my phone is always turned on and unlocked as I pull it out of my pocket. I definitely can't say that with the awkward placement of the iPhone's scanner.

I like the way the new Pixel is looking so far, but I don't understand the point of the squeeze sensor...

9. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

More interested in how much improved their cameras are tbh. With their single camera beating out the iPhone 7 Plus's I can only imagine how good their dual camera will be.

10. Swift macrumors 65816

Swift

11. mistasopz macrumors regular

Who said they can't do both? I don't see why this pressure launcher would be gimmicky, sounds very useful.

12. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Exactly. How is this not useful?

You squeeze your phone to trigger the best virtual assistant on the market. I can see any number of instances where this would be the most convenient way to activate it.

13. Sunshoopa macrumors regular

Sunshoopa

I can see this being useful in ways. Hopefully you'd be able to customize it such as bringing up the multitasking screen and stuff like that.

14. mlody macrumors 6502a

What's next? Bending, spitting or pissing on a phone to activate a feature? A stupid gimmick is a stupid gimmick.

15. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

I don't buy phones I can't put a good strong wallet case on. That includes any phone with a fingerprint sensor on the back.

16. Sunshoopa macrumors regular

Sunshoopa

Eh, people said many things were a stupid gimmick that were new features and turned successful. At least it's not a feature that every phone has on the market. People said Retina screens were stupid, now look.

17. xitongzou macrumors member

Don't judge it based on the sales. Of course they were never going to compete with Samsung or Apple. But it is a great phone, if you've ever used one. Very snappy, great camera.

18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Find me an iPhone 4 review that calls the Retina display stupid. I'll wait.

19. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

It's only slightly less useful than Apple's 3D Touch.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This and the next iPhone are going to be my biggest contenders. I cannot say whther this squeezable thing is exciting, but more screen and smaller footprint are up there. Stock Android (if I go android) is also a must.

21. Sunshoopa macrumors regular

Sunshoopa

You're right, I was thinking of Touch ID for how it reviewed not Retina. No idea how I got those two mixed up.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Not that useful but good job Google? If this was Apple everyone would be calling it a stupid gimmick like they did with 3D Touch.

23. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Anyone remember when phones would stop a video if you looked away, or when you could take 3D video of ping pong games?

I guess I don't see how this is different than a point-based pressure actuator... you know, a button.

24. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Honestly, I think the Google Pixel is the phone to watch out for. The first one is built well and has some really nice features. And ultimately, I think Google is going to be a contender in the long run, it's not going to just about Apple and Samsung anymore.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am noticing people are doing that too lol. Well, not gimmick but calling this unexciting.