Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the AirPods 3 rumored to be launching as soon as this month, we've been seeing an increasing number of leaks showing off the design of the new earbuds. Renders were shared yesterday, and today, 52audio has published a series of images said to feature the third-generation AirPods.

airpods-3-1.jpg

As with prior leaks, the AirPods 3 have an AirPods Pro-like design with a shorter stem and a more rounded body design that's close to identical to the AirPods Pro. The stem will still be a bit longer than the AirPods Pro stem, but it's much shorter than the AirPods stem.

airpods-3-2.jpg

Rumors have suggested the AirPods 3 will have snap-in silicone ear pieces for a more comfortable and customizable in-ear fit, much like the AirPods Pro, but that doesn't appear to be the design depicted in the images. If accurate, these images suggest the AirPods 3 will have a design similar to the AirPods without silicone tips.
airpods-3-3.jpg

The AirPods 3 case will be similar in design to the AirPods Pro case. It's wider than the standard AirPods case to accommodate the new body design, and not as tall because it no longer needs to fit such long stems. It does not appear to have room in the top for silicone ear tips, which also suggests a tipless design.

airpods-3-4.jpg

While the AirPods 3 will look like the AirPods Pro, rumors suggest they will not have Pro-level features. Active Noise Cancellation will remain limited to the AirPods Pro, and other features like spatial audio may also be a premium feature.

AirPods 3 are expected to continue to feature an Apple H1 chip and all of the standard functionality currently available to the AirPods 2 and the AirPods Pro like fast device pairing, pressure relief functionality, quick switching, clear call quality enabled through beam-forming microphones, and long range.

airpods-3-5.jpg

52audio believes that the AirPods 3 will be priced at $150. AirPods 2 sell for $159 without a Wireless Charging Case and $199 with a Wireless Charging Case. It's not clear if Apple will offer both options with the AirPods 3, but it seems likely Qi-based wireless charging functionality will be the standard option.

AirPods 3 are believed to be ready to go, and they're expected to launch early in 2021. In fact, rumors suggest that Apple could hold an event on March 23, and if that happens, it's likely that event will see the debut of the new AirPods.

Article Link: Upcoming AirPods 3 Redesign Shown Off in New Images

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I really hope that bit about the silicon tips is wrong. I’d rather just have the all plastic design that’s worked so well for the earbuds for so long. I for one hate the silicone tips of the AirPods Pro.
Doesn't that give a much better seal for listening to audio? In other words you get better audio frequency response.

Last edited:

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Wouldn't work for me without silicone tips. I even had to get different tips for the AirPod Pro in order not to lose them while running.

Reactions: mihike

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Though not depicted in the images, the AirPods 3 will have snap-in silicone ear pieces for a more comfortable and customizable in-ear fit.
I'm not sure if the leaks warrant this level of certainty. The case looks too small to house more than than the hard plastic piece and there are no attachment grooves visible that would hold the rubber piece in place.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
I really hope they stick with tap based controls and not stem squeeze. One of the many reasons I returned my AirPods Pro and went back to the 2 was I was unable to bonk the side of my head while riding my bike to change the song, its much harder to go under my hat and helmet with gloves on to get to that tiny stem

But otherwise I welcome the design changes especially if they stick with hard plastic tip (must have for me) which it seems they will. The shorter stem will be nice because the long one currently tap my earrings when I walk and it can make an annoying sound. This design allows them to use off the shelf round batteries instead of the custom one in the stem and that should improve battery life and reduce manufacturing cost. I hope they aren't too top-heavy because of it

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Doesn't that give a much better seal for listening to audio? In other words you get better audio frequency response.

I don't mind them going that direction.

It does give a better seal... which is exactly why I DON'T want the standard AirPods to have them. No seal means it's a lot easier to hear what's going on around you which is especially useful for taking phone calls as it's easier to hear yourself speaking + easier to hear cars around you in the city (transparency mode on the AirPods Pro is nowhere near as good as your naked ears). Additionally I find that AirPods Pro can actually build up pressure in my ear which is very uncomfortable. It's strange but standard "non sealing" AirPods are sometimes a better pick for me depending on my situation.

scoblep

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
I don't think they're going to have silicone tips. There's no space for them in the case if the above image is correct. It would make no sense to have silicon tips that you have to snap on and off when taking the AirPods in and out of the case.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
These look like bad clones, no doubt the Chinese market has already started mass-producing clones for AirPods 3

Reactions: ouimetnick

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria

I don't mind them going that direction.
Many people who like the fit of the standard AirPods don't like the fit of the AirPods Pro and the other way round. I would hate for Apple to remove either option.

Last edited:

akuraktz

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
I do really like silicone tips because there's this little grid inside and it helps to keep my airpods pro clean.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Though not depicted in the images, the AirPods 3 will have snap-in silicone ear pieces for a more comfortable and customizable in-ear fit.
Why does @MacRumors keep saying this for every story? None of the leaked prototypes have shown the rubber tips. There’s also no way they would fit in the case with the tips added on. They’re obviously not adding them if this is actually the final design.

secryt

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
I really hope that bit about the silicon tips is wrong. I’d rather just have the all plastic design that’s worked so well for the earbuds for so long. I for one hate the silicone tips of the AirPods Pro.
Same boat... no matter what I have done and tried the Pros silicon won’t stay in my ear. A really awful experience for me, personally. I hope they stick with all plastic or make the tips optional.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Many people who like the fit of the standard AirPods don't like fit of the AirPods Pro and the other way round. I would hate for Apple to remove either option.
Probably very true. Guess we will wait and see what gets released. I was thinking back a few years when Apple offered the wired original EarPods, and the wired sealed earphones they sold for $80. The audio quality of their last wired sealed earphones was way better audio quality as a FYI. But it does beg the question what do people want, a little more comfort or a lot better audio quality? I understand your perspective. ;)

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Looking at the screenshot, I think no silicon tip... which would be great! (for my use case at least) or maybe its optional so they sound like original airpods without silicon tip, but does not look like enough room in the case.

I find the in ear seal from other headphones uncomfortable, and from tyring the 'pro's' I can hear every head movement and breathing motion, can't stand it. Original airpods are great for calls with the open sound, and casual listening, and pro's still exist for the extra sound benefits.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
It's really looking like no silicone tips despite what leakers are saying. Maybe they are confusing 2nd gen AirPods Pro with the regular ones here.

The is no room in that case for the tips to fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.