Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
The Airpods Pro have the black optical sensor, plus larger pressure equalization valves with grills on them.

Assuming this is real, I wonder why this has large black plastic cutouts on the rear, in addition to the smaller optical sensor?

krfr

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
I certainly hope they keep the plastic earpiece. I have the AirPod Pros and have realized I am allergic to the silicon tips. I’ve resorted to using the memory foam tips but the regular AirPods are still more comfortable.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
what are the chances these new AirPods will sound better ?

I think reasonably good actually.

The main reason APP's sound better is the isolation and fit. The more shaped fit of this leaked design would seem to indicate it might better funnel the sound into your ear.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Wouldn't work for me without silicone tips. I even had to get different tips for the AirPod Pro in order not to lose them while running.
Not exactly sure what you're saying here... if it doesn't work without silicone tips, what tips did you have to get to run with them?

The standard tips that come with APPs don't work for me (the earbuds work themselves loose when I talk, eat, drink, or move around) but I discovered the memory foam tips and they function much better for me personally.

rss2193

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
Looking forward to the shorter stems on the AirPods Gen 3 and if the sound quality improves a bit that’s an added bonus! The non silicone tips at least for me ( as well as many others) is a big plus. Also an excuse to gift my brother the current AirPod Gen 2 I have since he doesn't have a pair yet!

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Not exactly sure what you're saying here... if it doesn't work without silicone tips, what tips did you have to get to run with them?

The standard tips that come with APPs don't work for me (the earbuds work themselves loose when I talk, eat, drink, or move around) but I discovered the memory foam tips and they function much better for me personally.
Memory foam tips work for running but I don't get a good seal with them. The largest size of the regular tips are fine stationary. When they were new, I got a good seal, but not anymore.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Hopefully they don’t discontinue the AirPods 2 but just drop the price to $49 for lightning charge case. These are my daily driver for over a year now and still going strong. :p

Sarkany

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2020
How much of a change can go into a pair of tiny earphones every year. What a money grab.

hdn

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
I really hope that bit about the silicon tips is wrong. I’d rather just have the all plastic design that’s worked so well for the earbuds for so long. I for one hate the silicone tips of the AirPods Pro.
The Chinese article mentioned that the new AirPods will be compatible with the silicone tips and it’s up to the customers make the choice, but I guess everyone here, including the author, is too lazy to actually read the article and is only interested in the images.

hdn

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
Why does @MacRumors keep saying this for every story? None of the leaked prototypes have shown the rubber tips. There’s also no way they would fit in the case with the tips added on. They’re obviously not adding them if this is actually the final design.
Because Bloomberg initially reported that they’ll come with silicone tips, and everyone thought that was the case until we saw these leaked images. This Chinese report clarified that the silicone tips are optional.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
There will be no silicone tips for these AirPods "3" if we are to believe these leaks: It quite clearly shows the same type of speaker grill and tapering between the white plastic and the speaker itself that we see on the non-Pro, regular AirPods 1 and 2.

Conversely, AirPods Pro are much flatter in the same area and the speaker itself and the white plastic is shaped to accommodate the silicone tips, and a little part of the speaker grill actually sticks out further than the plastic body when seen in profile view.

Since there are no indents or "holes" to plug in a silicone tip, they would instantly fall off. I don't see Apple selling silicone tips for these at all. 3rd parties might try to make some, but Apple will not sell ones.

Key features I predict for AirPods "3":
  • Improved sound
  • Improved call quality
  • New "H2" Bluetooth chip featuring (Class 1) Bluetooth 5.2 *Quite likely might just be the same Bt 5.0 H1 from AirPods Pro to cut costs
  • Same mAh battery as in AirPods Pro but greater battery-life overall due to the lack of high-end (battery-draining) features like ANC, transparency mode, multi-directional mics, etc.
  • Pairing and switching between devices could be improved but only with a new "H2" chip.
  • All technology and features related to ANC will be cut
  • No silicone tips, no in-ear design. 3rd parties will try to make tips, but Apple will not sell ones for this model.
  • Lower than $249 launch price. Could very likely be $159 or $199 since these will most likely replace regular AirPods 2 in Apple's headphone line-up. But I don't see anything lower than $149. $199 is my best bet since these have to have some kind selling big point over getting soon-to-be-extra-discounted AirPods 2.
  • One model, one color option (standard, white)
  • Exact same specifications for Qi charging and charging ports as AirPods Pro.
  • Same charging case as for AirPods Pro but without the extra room for silicone tips.
  • No spatial audio with head tracking
  • Same sensors and microphones as in AirPods Pro except for those related to ANC.
  • Same pinch stems or summon Siri controls.
  • Same IPX4 rating as seen in AirPods Pro.
*I only see Apple doing a new Bt 5.2 "H2" chip for these if they also launch a new iPad (Pro) with Bt 5.2 at the same time, as all currently available Apple devices only go up to Bt 5.0.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
The Chinese article mentioned that the new AirPods will be compatible with the silicone tips and it’s up to the customers make the choice, but I guess everyone here, including the author, is too lazy to actually read the article and is only interested in the images.
Rumors have suggested the AirPods 3 will have snap-in silicone ear pieces for a more comfortable and customizable in-ear fit, much like the AirPods Pro
Here, I read the article for you

• Disagree
Reactions: hdn and BulkSlash

hongyauy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
The problem with the Pros is that the main "pod" part of the earbud is huge and rests on the outside part of your ear, making my ears personally very very uncomfortable. The og airpods actually rests slightly deeper than the pros and due to its smaller size, it is very very comfortable to the point that I can wear them to sleep. I hope this new design doesn't hurt my ear if not its back to returns for me on day 1 after trying them. Fingers crossed.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
I am the opposite that seems to be the trend in this tread.

Normal Airpods, they could not say in my ears, period. Any slight movement and they would fall out.

Airpod Pros, stay in my ears decently. I won't say perfect as there are some situations when they do fall out, but 90% of the time they are fine.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I love my AirPods Pro, but I think my left ear is too weird for them. S, M, L ear tips and they keep seeming to fall out, at different times during the day. I think I need the Bose QC earbuds as they have that little lip so it would stay in my ear. It's a shame, but its just becoming problematic when I'm on calls etc.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
They already have them on the market!

a5d1d9a1-b3dc-457f-a64b-21dc6a16caf8-jpg.1718328
Thanks just ordered, we'll see... 16€ can't be that bad... just need something to listen podcast in bed...

Reactions: BulkSlash

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It does give a better seal... which is exactly why I DON'T want the standard AirPods to have them. No seal means it's a lot easier to hear what's going on around you which is especially useful for taking phone calls as it's easier to hear yourself speaking + easier to hear cars around you in the city (transparency mode on the AirPods Pro is nowhere near as good as your naked ears). Additionally I find that AirPods Pro can actually build up pressure in my ear which is very uncomfortable. It's strange but standard "non sealing" AirPods are sometimes a better pick for me depending on my situation.
As a somewhat long time AirPods Pro user, I second the pressure thing, and one of the reason I don’t like using AirPods Pro for lengthy listening sessions (3+ hours straight) and need to take it off once every 30min or so to relieve the pressure. It becomes uncomfortable faster than most people would think.
Transparent mode is kind of amazing imo but YMMV.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Pretty obvious that Apple needs to make two versions of AirPods - one with tips and one without. These are just different products serving different customers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.