Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is widely rumored to be working on a 4.7-inch low-cost iPhone that resembles the iPhone 8, but code found in a leaked version of iOS 14 suggests that Apple could also release a larger 5.5-inch version of the new low-cost iPhone.

iphone_8_8_plus.png
The current iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which will be replaced by new low-cost options that with the same design​

In a report that refers to the new 4.7-inch iPhone as the "iPhone 9," 9to5Mac suggests that Apple is also working on a 5.5-inch "iPhone 9 Plus" that would be sold alongside it. There is no word yet on what these iPhones will be called, and other rumors have referred to this low-cost device as the "iPhone SE 2."

These new 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones will replace the current 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and will be similar to the existing devices with an LCD display, thick bezels, and Touch ID Home button.

Multiple past rumors have indicated that though the new low-cost iPhone will have a design similar to the iPhone 8, it will feature the same A13 processor used in Apple's current iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max. We can expect the rumored 5.5-inch version to have the same upgraded processor.

We've also heard that Apple is planning to sell the 4.7-inch low-cost iPhone for $399, and if that's the case, the 5.5-inch version could be priced accordingly at $499. Apple was said to be planning to release the new low-cost iPhone option in the first half of 2020, perhaps as early as March, but it is not clear how the coronavirus outbreak has affected the company's plans.

It's worth noting that there has been no prior mention of a 5.5-inch low-cost iPhone to be sold alongside the 4.7-inch iPhone that we've seen rumored time and time again, so Apple's plans here are not entirely clear.

We have, however, heard a rumor from reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo who suggests Apple is working on an "iPhone SE 2 Plus" with a full-screen design and no Face ID, meaning Touch ID is built into the power button on the side. Kuo says that this model will be 5.5 or 6.1 inches and will be released in the first half of 2021.

9to5Mac's report suggests the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones referenced in iOS 14 code have Touch ID Home buttons and therefore, neither one is the higher-end "plus"-sized iPhone referenced by Kuo, but there is still some confusion around these two reports.

Article Link: Upcoming Low-Cost iPhone Rumored to Come in 4.7 and 5.5-Inch Size Options to Replace iPhone 8 and 8 Plus

Last edited:
Reactions: na1577

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Such a fragmented line of devices. And the reason is simple: declining sales numbers. iPhone reached “peak” a few years ago, Apple admitted it and went so far as to stop releasing sales figures, something they proudly flaunted years before.

With all these cheaper iPhones they are basically trying to capture sales on the lower segments. The thing is, most manufacturers offer better value at those price points. Many people in Asia, Africa and Latin America find iOS too restrictive and these iPhones too old looking, with huge notches and few selling points compared to the premium devices, other than price.

If Apple really wants to dominate all segments they have to consider a redesign, a modern looking, compact, small device with good features and a competitive price point rather than recycling this old iPhone 6 design year after year and calling it new or SE.

Last edited:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I just don't see TouchID in its current form going away or changing in the budget lines. The same implementation is used in MacBook Pros/Airs too.

With all these cheaper iPhone they are basically trying to capture sales on the other segments. The thing is, most manufacturers offer better value at those price points. Many people in Asia, Africa and Latin America find iOS too restrictive and these iPhones too old looking with huge notches and few selling points compared to the premium devices other than price.
Keep in mind that the iPhone XR and iPhone 11 were the top selling phones in 2019. Apple does have the mindshare, they just need to offer more options in the lower ranges. I fully expect an iPhone9/SE to sell well due to it's ecosystem and the A13 SoC.

Last edited:

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Though the addition of a plus size doesn't affect my buying decisions, this makes sense to me from a product line angle. Every iPhone (except the XR) has a smaller size and a larger size. Having one exception -- a model that is unique in other ways too -- is OK, having two exceptions starts to degrade this reliable organization (small one/large one).

iLoma

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
I'm sure this has something to do with the rumors of Apple splitting their iPhone release between March and September.

Reactions: macgician

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
would sell better if it was 5g able. But no mention so I think people will still wait for the ephor 12 especially with the fast A14 3 Gigahertz chip.

PS since the A14 is such a fast chip why not allow it to function as a on screen computer device like Samsungs DAX which allows you to plug in your S10 and have an android desktop on your home computer?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
$399 in France (358 Euro). Maybe. This is starting to smell a lot like the iPhone 8 refresh and will be priced at over $800.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
If they release a plus model, and the name is just “iPhone” as was rumoured, then iPhone and iPhone Plus doesn’t really fit neatly in the line up

I started to doubt the iPhone 9 name but now given this news I think it will be the most likely, iPhone 9 and iPhone 9 plus

makes much more sense to avg customer who has an iPhone6/6+ model

in store, Apple employees will be calling the newer phones the “Ten are, Eleven, and Eleven Pro/Max”

so I suppose talking about upgrading to the 9, Ten (Xr), or 11 will be an easy way to distinguish models for the sales team

SE 2 just doesn’t make sense.

although iPhone 4.7 and 5.5 (2020) make sense, i don’t think they make more sense unless they adopt next years line up as iPhone Pro and iPhone Pro 5G or something like that.

then again, who knows with Apple.

I know two family members are waiting for the regular and plus sized models, these are people who still have the 6 and 6 plus so for them the “9” moniker would indicate a huge upgrade. They don’t care for Face ID which is why they haven’t upgraded yet. They were going to go for the 8/8+ recently but told them to hold on another 1-2 months

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
These are likely the prices and lineup.

iPhone 11 Pro Max - $1,099
iPhone 11 Pro - $999
iPhone 11 - $699
iPhone XR - $599
iPhone 9 Plus - $499
iPhone 9 - $399

Reactions: max.ine

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I know two family members are waiting for the regular and plus sized models, these are people who still have the 6 and 6 plus so for them the “9” moniker would indicate a huge upgrade. They don’t care for Face ID which is why they haven’t upgraded yet. They were going to go for the 8/8+ recently but told them to hold on another 1-2 months

same here, I've been telling people for months to hold out until march and not to buy a 3 year old phone that'll probably not get updates for more than 2-3 years be slower and cost more (it's still €539/$590 inkl. VAT) than the rumored iphone 9. if there's no iphone 9, they can still buy an 8 or XR (but those people usually don't want a phone that's that big).CoVid probably f*** that late march date a bit, but we'll see. lots of people don't earn anything at the moment, so it can take it's time...

Reactions: jpn

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
My parents are still rocking their 6+ and 7. I'm sure they'd move up to this if the price was right. My SE isn't going anywhere anytime soon, looks like.

Reactions: wyarp

Ysdufufi

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
All these different numbers and models are going to start getting confusing to many people.
This feels like the nineties when Apple cranked out more and desktop models with overlapping specs. The one thing Jobs did first was to simplify the product lines so the choice was much more clear. Seems Apple needs another effort at pruning the number of products.

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
These are likely the prices and lineup.

iPhone 11 Pro Max - $1,099
iPhone 11 Pro - $999
iPhone 11 - $699
iPhone XR - $599
iPhone 9 Plus - $499
iPhone 9 - $399
So...the $599/$699 phones will have a sub 1080p screen, while a $499 phone will have a 1080p screen? (I know the XR has faceID and all the jazz, but still...)

Reactions: macgician and wyarp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.