Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Such a fragmented line of devices. And the reason is simple: declining sales numbers. iPhone reached “peak” a few years ago, Apple admitted it and went so far to stop releasing sales figures, something they proudly flaunted years before.

With all these cheaper iPhone they are basically trying to capture sales on the other segments. The thing is, most manufacturers offer better value at those price points. Many people in Asia, Africa and Latin America find iOS too restrictive and these iPhones too old looking with huge notches and few selling points compared to the premium devices other than price.

If Apple really wants to dominate all segments they have to consider a redesign, a modern looking, compact, small device with good features and a competitive price point rather than recycling this old iPhone 6 design year after year and calling it new or SE.

Are we forgetting the sale of second hand or refurbished iPhones?

I think people underestimate the value of Apple’s trade-in program (in the US at least). It not only helps makes new iPhones more affordable, but also supplies them with a steady stream of second hand iPhones which they can then refurbish and resell in the grey market.

As such, I don’t think Apple needs to release a cheap iPhone because they already have older iPhone models filling in that role, and this is possible because of their superior build quality and longer term software support. Even if Apple doesn’t earn / earn as much, they still have plenty of ways to monetise the customer afterwards.

The low end isn’t a segment Apple needs to actively compete in.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Having given it some thought I'd say that the existence of a 9Plus will see the Xr disappear from the lineup.

So the range goes 9, 9 Plus, 11, and then 12, 12 Pro, and Pro Max. The range then covers just 2 CPUs - A13 and A14.

Slix

macrumors 65832
Mar 24, 2010
Been waiting for a lower cost iPhone for a while now, and hopefully one that was smaller than the 6/7/8 size. I'd been using 3.5" and 4" iPod touches for 8 years before getting my 6, and man, I still end up losing grip of it. It's too big for me to be comfortable. One handed use is not great with it for me, but I want something modern now. Hoping Apple delivers something in that range for me, but otherwise I'll get an 11 I suppose.

Reactions: wyarp and jpn

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
So other than India, where I truly don’t see many iPhones at all, iPhone is popular all over the world even in developing countries!

And that has changed as well. The iPhone XR was the best selling device in India during 2019, helped by Apple dropping the price to $250 midway through the year. The iPhone 11 has been doing extremely well, too. 2020 is going to be a big year for Apple in India.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All these different numbers and models are going to start getting confusing to many people.

This seems to get said a lot and I don’t believe it ever to be true.

Lets Break this down, when consumers are choosing a Phone, they probably have a good idea of what they’re upgrading to in terms of what price point they can afford, which obviously limits What their selection of a phone to begin with they’re choosing. Let alone, Apple has a ’compare tool’ on their website, it’s really not that difficult to use/navigate in terms of what phone/color/storage option their choosing.

Maybe you’re making that a little bit more difficult than it needs to be.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
It's getting too much now. They really need to clean the line up and the names of them. There's an 8 and 11 currently in rotation, to be replaced by a 9 and 12, but there's also still an XR in there too? As well as all the Pro/Plus/Max versions? Dumb lol.

It's not overly confusing, like I get where each one sits and its purpose, but it's just too cluttered now.

Reactions: wyarp

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Apple is widely rumored to be working on a 4.7-inch low-cost iPhone that resembles the iPhone 8, but code found in a leaked version of iOS 14 suggests that Apple could also release a larger 5.5-inch version of the new low-cost iPhone.

?‍♂️
[automerge]1584435927[/automerge]
The short answer is no...that phone is plenty small enough already. I’m not sure why anyone thinks it needs to be smaller...

To, I dunno, fit comfortably in people's pockets, allow each one-hand usage.... for ppl who just want a 'phone' rather than spend all day looking at photos or video on the internet that we're 'supposed' to want...

Reactions: nickgovier

macgician

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
I’d pay big bucks for a new iPhone X or 11, but I’m not willing to give up TouchID. Make a high end iPhone 12 with TouchID and there will be a boatload of 7/8 holdouts wanting to buy it.
I just gave up and bought a used iPhone X to transition to FaceID last week, am yet to migrate data from 6s plus and see to iPhone X. Then this news comes up that iPhone 9 plus may be released. Again it worries Apple may use "intel" designed modem with iPhone 9 line and I really don't want iPhone with any intel modem.period.

Reactions: glowplug

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
would sell better if it was 5g able. But no mention so I think people will still wait for the ephor 12 especially with the fast A14 3 Gigahertz chip.

PS since the A14 is such a fast chip why not allow it to function as a on screen computer device like Samsungs DAX which allows you to plug in your S10 and have an android desktop on your home computer?

5g is irrelevant in 2020

Reactions: mag33

J Evolve-Learn

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
An iPhone 9 Plus would be most welcome - not only will it sell well with those looking for a low-priced large-format iPhone, it will band together the “touch ID forever” crowd with us fringe UX nitpickers in the “never notch” crowd. I cling to my 6s Plus, and had ample time to adopt the notch with an XR my employer issued to me, but I just can’t bear to see that notch (I ditched it for a 6s!) — Although it is obvious the notch is a huge success in giving Apple triumphs; face ID as a standard, a claim to full screen, and an iconic silhouette that was instantly knocked-off by competitors desperately reaching for a slice of market share they’ll never get. Still, for the lonely, a 9 Plus please.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
The great majority of iphone users I know in real life are holding on to their 6/7/8 series iphones for dear life. They don't want to give up the home button and refuse to get a newer style iphone that uses gestures.

No exaggeration here, if I know 100 iphone users in real life, less than 10 have the newer style iphone (X/XS/11). I have asked people many times "Wow you phone is getting up there in age, which iphone do you plan on getting next?". I always get the same response from all of them "I am keeping this phone until it dies or until Apple releases new phones with the home button".

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
I’d pay big bucks for a new iPhone X or 11, but I’m not willing to give up TouchID. Make a high end iPhone 12 with TouchID and there will be a boatload of 7/8 holdouts wanting to buy it.
I too didn't like it when TouchID went away. I protested and whined on here and in person to family / coworkers. I got an XR and adapted to the FaceID. It wasn't horrible but I much preferred TouchID. This year I got an 11. I wasn't expecting it to be much different. When I started using it, I was absolutely blown away at how much better FaceID is now. Before, I would have to sometimes alter the orientation of the phone to get it to read my face. This was especially true in situations such as walking around in a grocery store and looking at my phone to get a store list or read a recipe or something. I guess the relatively bright fluorescent lights confused it. Also other times I had to look more directly at the phone, etc. With the 11, I just use the phone. I am still surprised sometimes at how good the FaceID is now. I can have the phone upright in my cupholder and glance over at it and it will unlock. Using it while waking around in a store is now seamless. To add to the overuse of a famous phrase, it just works. Is it perfect? No. But then again, neither is TouchID. I will say that after getting the 11, I no longer miss TouchID at all.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Such a fragmented line of devices.

You have the "Pro"
$1099 iPhone 12 Pro Max
$999. iPhone 12 Pro

You have the Mainstream
$699. iPhone 12
$599. iPhone 12 Mini / 5.4" *AND* iPhone 11

OR

$749 iPhone 12
$649 iPhone 12 Mini 5.4"
$599. iPhone 11

You have the "Classic" / Low Cost.
$499 iPhone 9 Plus
$399 iPhone 9

I dont see any fragmentation. It may be a little messy now but I see Apple is step by step going towards this three tier model. I still thinks the Gap between $699 and $999 / $1099 is way too big. Kind of make Sense the top tier of Mid Stream to close the gap a little.

Just a note. The A13 in next / or this years's *entry level* iPhone will beat even the Qualcomm 865 is most of the test.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
You have the "Pro"
$1099 iPhone 12 Pro Max
$999. iPhone 12 Pro

You have the Mainstream
$699. iPhone 12
$599. iPhone 12 Mini / 5.4" *AND* iPhone 11

OR

$749 iPhone 12
$649 iPhone 12 Mini 5.4"
$599. iPhone 11

You have the "Classic" / Low Cost.
$499 iPhone 9 Plus
$399 iPhone 9

I dont see any fragmentation. It may be a little messy now but I see Apple is step by step going towards this three tier model. I still thinks the Gap between $699 and $999 / $1099 is way too big. Kind of make Sense the top tier of Mid Stream to close the gap a little.

Just a note. The A13 in next / or this years's *entry level* iPhone will beat even the Qualcomm 865 is most of the test.
If this rumor is true, this would be the perfect time for Apple to get rid of numbering scheme. They can have the following lineup for Fall 2020 with respect to NEW iPhone models

iPhone (4.7" / TouchID)
iPhone Plus (5.5" / TouchID)

iPhone Air (5.4" / FaceID)
iPhone Air Plus (6.1" / FaceID)

iPhone Pro (6.1" / FaceID)
iPhone Pro Max (6.7" / FaceID)

And then, of course, the iPhone 11 (6.1"), would carry over from last year.

Reactions: ksec

Keith!

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Chicago
Gotta tell you, I was skeptical but Face ID is like magic. It so seamless disappears into everything you do, I would hate to go back to Touch ID.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
If this rumor is true, this would be the perfect time for Apple to get rid of numbering scheme. They can have the following lineup for Fall 2020 with respect to NEW iPhone models

iPhone (4.7" / TouchID)
iPhone Plus (5.5" / TouchID)

iPhone Air (5.4" / FaceID)
iPhone Air Plus (6.1" / FaceID)

iPhone Pro (6.1" / FaceID)
iPhone Pro Max (6.7" / FaceID)

And then, of course, the iPhone 11 (6.1"), would carry over from last year.

I dont think Air would work since it is a god damn thick piece of metal LOL. May be they will use iPhone as mid range and iPhone SE as Entry.

Although Apple being conservative in recent years, I doubt they will drop the number scheme.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I dont think Air would work since it is a god damn thick piece of metal LOL. May be they will use iPhone as mid range and iPhone SE as Entry.

Although Apple being conservative in recent years, I doubt they will drop the number scheme.
Air branding doesn't refer to thinness anymore. It essentially refers to the mainstream (or the sweet spot) in Apple's lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.