Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a set of artist renditions that gave fans a basic look at Apple's long-rumored 12-inch Retina MacBook Air earlier this week, well-known 3D modeler and designer Martin Hajek has created a set of realistic renderings of the unannounced notebook on his blog.

15607725144_ef44411b5b_b-800x601.jpg
Hajek follows details found in previous reports of the machine, creating the model with an edge-to-edge keyboard relocating the on-board speakers to grilles above the keyboard. Though the display will be 12 inches diagonally, the new MacBook Air will keep roughly the same footprint as the current 11-inch model thanks to slightly narrower bezels surrounding the screen.

12_macbook_air_gold_rendering.jpg
Apple's further attempt to thin out the next generation of MacBooks continues in the Retina MacBook Air's alleged lack of a USB and MagSafe ports, amongst other traditionally expected inputs. The new MacBook will reportedly have just two ports: a headphone jack and a USB Type-C Port, alongside a pair of microphones lining the sides of the device.

16044301457_48f87ed07a_b-800x601.jpg
Hajek's renderings also mirror rumors suggesting the Retina MacBook Air will come in multiple color options that include the same Space Gray, Gold, and Silver colors the company has used since the iPhone 5s. Apple has yet to comment on the rumors swirling around the device, though supply chain sources believed the 12-inch MacBook could enter production sometime in early 2015. The full suite of Hajek's renderings can be found on his blog.

Article Link: Upcoming Ultra-Thin 12-Inch MacBook Air Design Imagined in New Renderings

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm... not sure I like the different color options. I loved the aluminum look. I don't think a gold/champagne laptop would look very appealing.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
Apple's further attempt to thin out the next generation of MacBooks continues in the Retina MacBook Air's alleged lack of a USB and MagSafe ports, amongst other traditionally expected inputs. The new MacBook will reportedly have just two ports: a headphone jack and a USB Type-C Port, alongside a pair of microphones lining the sides of the device.

So how the hell are you supposed to charge it?

ikramerica

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2009
Some guy renders a concept and its news? Keyboard bezel is too narrow. Structural rigidity will be zero...

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
So do the rumours/renderings indicate the 12" MacBook Air will use a 16:10 screen like the existing 13" or a 16:9 screen like the 11" model? Personally, I prefer a 16:10 screen.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Looks beautiful, but the rMBP is already as thin as I want a laptop to be. The ports barely fit on it as it is, and it's so light that they had to make the MagSafe magnet weaker for it, so it now falls out really easily by accident.

EDIT: Only one USB port and no video output?! Pass for sure.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Seems like every rendering with a screen/keyboard fitted that tightly to the edges of every rumored device over the years still has never seen the light of day.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
A quick—and honest—question: what on earth is the benefit of moving the power button to the position where the Esc key has occupied since the dawn of the PC keyboard?

Shayanftw

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2014
Germany
Is it finally ready?

remeber when apple talked about planting their A-Chips in MacBooks? I think the 12 inch Air is the perfect opportunity as Intels low power chips don't seem to be that amazing. Also, I'm not a techie guy but could the lightening connector ever charge a MacBook Air? Would be definitely good because of the size,

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I love the look of this machine, but worry about the practicality. I also wonder if that type-c port might actually be a lightning port... And a headphone jack... Sounds like the iPad Pro to me.

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I think the bezels are too big. Besides that, nice render.

Apple likes big ugly bezels.

Look at prior year MacBook models, or iPhones from any year.

It's a J. Ive styling cue, Apple will always feature fat bezels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.