Update, apple admit to defect!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xzentric, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Xzentric macrumors member

Re: My phone bending in case thread

The apple supervisor just called back.

They are shipping out a brand new phone to me within 48 hours.

he said that a few iPhone 6 plus have had quality control issues and that these phones have had structural damaged from new. And that these phones will be prone to bending with little effort.

They are looking at it case by case basis and will replace if necessary.

He said that the issue is extremely small and that I was just one of the unlucky ones.

So there you go. I was not lying. My phone was already had a defect before I'd even opened the box.

He said that even the case could of been the culprit because of the defect. But until they receive the phone they won't know for certain.

So the bottom line is....

That the iPhone 6 plus will not bend under normal use. Unless you have a defected phone from new.

Amazing customer service from apple. Cant think of many companies that will go to all that effort for their customers.

For all the doomsday neigh sayer fan bois, go ahead and flame me all you like. I don't care. I got the out come that I wanted.

And for piece of mind, I will get apple care +, Just incase I drop it on my living room floor again

2. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

It's difficult to know if they were leveling with you or just making something up, but this does match up with my own theory about the problem. I was thinking that the phones that have been bending might just have had some defect in their assembly that made them more prone to bending. That could explain why most are fine but some have problems.

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

4. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

This is more likely the issues. Not some handset wide defect that causes them to bend under no pressure at all, as the rest of the internet would have you believe
    Glad you got it resolved.

5. Ian.C macrumors regular

Hi,

Glad to here you got it sorted, and confirmation from Apple about defects, small in numbers considering the no of units they have sold.

I have stopped posting on these forums due to some responses i got, it seems like its a free for all with no moderation what so ever.

congrats...

Ian

6. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Apple admitted to nothing. One supervisor approved warranty exchange for issue not officially covered under the limited warranty.

But yes, good to see you had your issue resolved to your satisfaction.

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Perhaps Apple will start to recognize this problem, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Apple is just saying that 'a few phones were known to have an issue' and then just dealing with whatever bent phones they receive in hopes it isn't every single one of them. This would make sense if a quiet fix was in the works or already in place. This would also reveal that Apple now knows there is a problem with bending and that EVERY phone released to date is prone to it.

In time I guess we will know. I'm glad that they are replacing your phone.

8. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

3 lime pie slices. With whipped cream.

9. munakib macrumors 6502

I dont think it would have been too hard for Tim to call Ive and Schiller into a boardroom and crack a few iP6+ open once the rumors were out.

I am sure they saw it wasnt that difficult to bend, its not that force was required, one has to take into consideration that these phones will be in hands of people for 2 years - they are likelier to bend as these phones get older with longer usage.

I hope they add reinforcements to the new batches and allow early adaptors to bring in their old ones and receive the "updated" models. Well thats what I am hoping for with my Plus.

10. oneofthenine macrumors regular

an interesting update and glad you got your phone replaced. Hopefully Apple will start to recognise the issue is often not caused by users doing anything they wouldn't do with any other phone.

11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Exactly what I've been saying all along (and getting hammered for.) Factory defects, not "pocket bends."

12. kalebnate macrumors 6502

What about people receiving their phones in October (3-4 weeks delivery), do you think Manufacturing issues would have been ironed out to produce them when compared to the first launch batch ?

13. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

In any event, it's good to know that Apple will take care of you if your iPhone bends.
    And if there is a manufacturing issue somewhere, they will take care of that too!
    DONE!

14. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

I think your case is legit. You didn't ditch Apple or promote an android device :p

Nice to see that apple is replacing it and not making you wait a month to get another plus.

My only fear is that i'll get the phone after waiting over a month, only for it to have this defect, and then having to wait another month to get it replaced (no apple stores around me).

Your post reassures me that all will be fine in the end, unless i intentionally have an agenda. like the others who've been posting about this.

15. oneofthenine macrumors regular

Would not really be possible to tell when and where a batch came from. If what the apple guy said is true then a factory run could be in the 10s or 100s of thousands of units. The distribution chain is also complicated as apple manufactured units to hold back for other country launches and tends to redistribute from the china warehouses as demand is needed in different markets.

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Yes it would. It's called the "serial number." Maybe you've heard of it?

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I don't think apple would have some supervisor break the news of this. To me this is like asking an apple sales rep for the specs of the next 12" Macbook Air.

This could be the issue, but I think it would have an official release of this information. Kinda like what apple has done with every other defect they have had.

18. oneofthenine macrumors regular

And which serial number range would you suggest to look for in the next 3 or 4 weeks? Pretty sure you would have no idea which batch a unit came from, as I said.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

And you had to open a new thread for this? You couldn't use the original thread?

Jeez… :rolleyes:

20. Xzentric thread starter macrumors member

to keap the piece.

I will make sure my grammar is up two check next time.

your all to cleaver for my liking. their! happy now?

----------

I just do it as i find your scripted internet police responses far too amusing :rolleyes:

21. Bobo03 macrumors regular

I think he was referring to the fact that Apple would know that information.

22. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Don't you mean "your all to cleaver FOUR my liking"???

23. oneofthenine macrumors regular

If there is a manufacturing defect I'm sure Apple are already aware of which units it involves and where these have or are being sold. But the poster was thinking about their own purchase and whether manufacturing defects would have been resolved, to which we the public will never get to know.

24. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

25. toxicity033 macrumors member

that one supervisor ≠ apple

in any case, if this were true..it would be nice to know the batch of pluses that are affected by this issue.