Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I have a 2014 rMBP that is still running Sierra (not even High Sierra). I put off updating it due to Software compatibility complications and eventually just started doing most of my work on my desktop, since the MacBook became slow anyways.

Now I need it for a job and I need to get it to the most recent macOS possible.

How would you approach this? What would you look out for? Is there something like an ideal update path?

Obviously, I will do a backup first. But apart from that, I am not sure what to consider. I also don't know if I can just install the newest version of macOS on top of it, or if it were better to do "intermediate" steps.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
I also had a 2014. Tried Ventura through OCLP, but there was an issue with Xcode that seemed to be linked to running on unsupported hardware, so I went back to Big Sur. Otherwise it seemed fine with Ventura at least. No idea about newer versions because the battery swelled up, and I no longer use it.

Reactions: danqi

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
According to everymac.com the most recent Apple-supported version of the OS you can run is OS 11.x "Big Sur".

Does software update offer this to you?
You might be able to download the installer through the App Store and install Big Sur directly that way.

Otherwise, I'd suggest:
- download the OS
- get a USB flashdrive 16gb or larger
- create a bootable USB flashdrive**
- boot from the flashdrive
- erase the internal drive with disk utility (go to view menu and choose show all devices, top line on left is internal SSD to erase)
- install fresh copy of Big Sur
- use setup assistant (during setup) to migrate your stuff from a backup drive.

** DON'T waste time struggling with the terminal to create this.
Instead, use either "Install Disk Creator" or "DiskMaker X". Both are free and easily found on the net. Download and try BOTH of them, use whichever one works for you.

Having said all this...
If "the job" you now need it for requires something later than Big Sur, might be time to start shopping for a replacement MBP.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the input!

I just found out that updating to High Sierra would actually be enough for me right now. (To install the software I need to do the job)

So I figure I update from Sierra to High Sierra for now, in order to get the software I need to get working working without changing too much. Then, when I have more time, I update to Big Sur and deal with all the changes that brings.

This would have the added benefit of feeling a bit "safer". I don't know if this is my imagination, but updating Sierra -> High Sierra -> Big Sur seems like it could be less error-prone than going Sierra -> Big Sur directly. Is this crazy?

The only thing I cannot figure out is where to get High Sierra... Is that even possible still?

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The only case I could see for going Sierra > High Sierra is that that is when the filesystem changeover from HFS+ to APFS occured. The newer OSes should handle the conversion fine though, but if you’re wanting a reason…

IIRC Apple limits upgrading to five versions ahead without intermediate steps, but 10.12 to 11 would only be four (Big Sur is essentially 10.16).

Reactions: danqi

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
The only case I could see for going Sierra > High Sierra is that that is when the filesystem changeover from HFS+ to APFS occured. The newer OSes should handle the conversion fine though, but if you’re wanting a reason…

IIRC Apple limits upgrading to five versions ahead without intermediate steps, but 10.12 to 11 would only be four (Big Sur is essentially 10.16).
I had no idea about the version limit. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.