Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davebritton11

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
New Macbook Air

I would think it would also support the new Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) or at least Thunderbolt 2 like Macbook pro.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
So if true and the 12" Retina Air comes later this year, is this the first time the Airs would see two updates in a year?

If this silent spec bump rumor is true - I think it's highly unlikely we will see another Air update in 2014.

Which actually makes sense, if you look at the release schedule of ULX Broadwell processors, which would be needed for the rumored retina/fanless update. Those CPUs won't be available until late this year, which would point to 2015 MBA refresh.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
///

If this silent spec bump rumor is true - I think it's highly unlikely we will see another Air update in 2014.

Which actually makes sense, if you look at the release schedule of ULX Broadwell processors, which would be needed for the rumored retina/fanless update. Those CPUs won't be available until late this year, which would point to 2015 MBA refresh.

That makes sense, I'm not keeping up with the CPU refresh. Whatever the case, I hope the Mac releases are staggered again.

endlessct9a

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Incremental changes aren't going to convince to buy. If there's a 12" rMBA, however, that's a different story. That would definitely convince me to slang my 2012 13" rMBP.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
1) iMac not ergonomic due to non-height adjustable screen
2) Drive not user upgradable
3) Some people already have a good monitor (Adjustable)
4) Mac Mini has better cable management/position
5) Mac Mini good for HTPC connected to TV, takes less space
6) Low price
7) OSX is better than Windows on a NUC (driver hassle)

Mac Mini needs updating to compete with Intel's Haswell NUC

To be quite honest I don't think I would be bothered with most of these stuff you listed. Not sure what you mean by adjustable monitor, never had a problem with adjusting my iMac screen! Low price yes, but comes with no screen, No? If you pay another $1000 (more or less) for the screen then there you have it. I think it is more to do with a personal preferences and needs. I love my iMac and would not change it for any mini products, specially if they are less powered.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Not sure what you mean by adjustable monitor, never had a problem with adjusting my iMac screen! Low price yes, but comes with no screen, No? If you pay another $1000 (more or less) for the screen then there you have it.
Height-adjustable, tiltable, turnable etc rather than screen adjustments.

And there are some extremely nice 23" 1080p monitors out there for less than $200 (a little more for 23-24" 1200p). And even better, they've not got a stupid, distracting sheet of glass over the panel :)

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I am really ready to find out what's coming and how long I have to wait, because it's getting to the point where my 7 year old iMac is ready to be replaced and I'm thinking an air is going to be the replacement.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I will keep abusing my intel core 2 duo / Nvidia 320M 2010 MBA until I can get a 12" retinaMBA on the refurb store with 8GB/512GB config. for $1200. That day may be years off but until then I have no reason to upgrade.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
That's going to be a jump going from a large screen to a 11 or 13" screen

True it will definitely be the 13" but yes going from 20" to 13" will be an adjustment. I have owned a 13" macbook before and currently have a 15" macbook pro so I am pretty sure that I will be fine with the change.

Also I don't like being tied to my desktop I mainly use it because my wife is hogging the MBP :)

chrishomer

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2011
I have a 13in rMBP. I liked it at first, but is pretty heavy. (Performance and battery life are amazing, though).

I think I'll return it for an Air. I can tolerate a non-retina screen, as long as it's light. I'll probably get the 11in one. Shame it doesn't have an SD card reader built in, otherwise it would be prefect.

OR, I might just get an iMac; it's a shame that none of the off-the-shelf models have flash storage.

If they were to have a massive new announcement, like a retina Air, that would surely be at WWDC in June.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Well all in all we'll see on Tuesday what :apple: is going to change in the MBA, at least I believe that Tuesday was always the day that they did there updates.

Wish they'd come out with a 15" MBP that had the palm rest or should I say keyboard/hand/wrist part sloped like on the MBA. MBPr is nice but battery life leave's allot to be desired.

Tuesday = Faster and Retina :roll eyes:

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Looks like my MBA will be ready for pickup (BTO) at the Apple store by today or tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't until tomorrow, so if there is an update, I can just return it on the spot and reorder. ;)

Anxiously waiting!

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
I have a 13in rMBP. I liked it at first, but is pretty heavy. (Performance and battery life are amazing, though).

i understand that if you want an ultraportable then there are lighter solutions, but saying that the rmbp13 (1.6kg) is heavy..
just 2 years ago the mbp13 was 2kg, 6 years ago the mb white was 2.5kg, and they were already the most portable, 3kg was the "norm" until not so long ago.. i suspect you never had a laptop before, or am i wrong?

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
i understand that if you want an ultraportable then there are lighter solutions, but saying that the rmbp13 (1.6kg) is heavy..
just 2 years ago the mbp13 was 2kg, 6 years ago the mb white was 2.5kg, and they were already the most portable, 3kg was the "norm" until not so long ago.. i suspect you never had a laptop before, or am i wrong?

Those were the days...

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Yup I was thinking the same

Thinking that it's going to be Tuesday , went to configure a system and it went to 3-5 days no matter what selection I made out of the pre-configured models.

It'd be awesome if they just made it retina and no other changes, but I don't think that's going to happen till fall maybe sooner

----------

I think I'll return it for an Air. I can tolerate a non-retina screen, as long as it's light. I'll probably get the 11in one. Shame it doesn't have an SD card reader built in, otherwise it would be prefect.

OR, I might just get an iMac; it's a shame that none of the off-the-shelf models have flash storage.

If they were to have a massive new announcement, like a retina Air, that would surely be at WWDC in June.

You really notice the difference between 3.46lbs to 2.96lbs ? I'm not picking on you just asking ?

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
You really notice the difference between 3.46lbs to 2.96lbs ? I'm not picking on you just asking ?

it's the weight of 2 smartphones, give or take.
maybe you could save some more considering the smaller charger (45W vs 60W), but this is just me being a weight saver freak.
furthermore, the whole difference is compensated wether you carry or not an external 2.5" hd (and you know, a 128gb ssd is darn small!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.