Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Nice! But shouldn't I have gotten a notification about it in Maps? That's the most frustrating part to me. I feel like when I submit reports, it's like a black hole.

I think there's a lot going on with the Apple Maps app, and the Apple Maps team must be super busy. Either they're working on expanding the Maps data, or correcting all kinds of incorrect data people are seeing who've already gotten the new Maps data. I used to get changes made within 2-3 days, and now I've got some corrections submitted the first week of June that haven't been corrected yet.

As I stated in a previous post, I submitted a report for a new business listing, and I checked it every day, and then found they had placed it in another city/county. I then submitted a report to correct it, and weeks later (last Wednesday), they placed it in the right city/county, but at the wrong location.

This was LAST Wednesday they corrected it, right? I got a notification of the change on Saturday at 5 PM.
[doublepost=1561397661][/doublepost]Yesterday, a friend of mine was talking about the San Francisco Zoo, and I looked it up on Maps, and there was no "Look Around" available for the location yet.

Today, I opened the Maps app, and it was still at the same location, but an option for Look Around popped up, and sure enough, it's now available.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Can’t stop playing around with Look Around. Glad I had a chance to download the Public Beta before I headed home from the office.

Still waiting on map expansion....

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Couple of things I’ve noticed

Favorites now show up on the map at any view distance. I noticed the dots when I was zoomed out to the whole US and was wondering wat they were since they weren’t near my home. Huber restaurants I tagged in case I might drive through that area.

Also, noted this on the Look Around thread. You can view from both the inside and outside lanes on highways/freeways. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: baihan8

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Just got the betas. I haven’t been able to test out look around. I read it only works in a few places, but I don’t know what places.
How about a pointer for an old geezer?

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Just got the betas. I haven’t been able to test out look around. I read it only works in a few places, but I don’t know what places.
How about a pointer for an old geezer?

Hawaii, San Francisco and Las Vegas

San Francisco includes a good portion of the Bay Area as well. Much of San Jose, and some of the outlying cities (Milpitas, etc) are available.

baihan8

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Hacienda Heights, CA
Couple of things I’ve noticed

Favorites now show up on the map at any view distance. I noticed the dots when I was zoomed out to the whole US and was wondering wat they were since they weren’t near my home. Huber restaurants I tagged in case I might drive through that area.

Also, noted this on the Look Around thread. You can view from both the inside and outside lanes on highways/freeways. Pretty cool.
That's a neat little detail that you can look from different lanes -- would have never noticed that! (I guess I hadn't thought to use that kind of feature for looking at different freeway junctions that might be tricky.) Would be cool if they integrate that into CarPlay to have a live in-car view during interchanges or at the turns of the directions!

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Just wanted to say that I’ve been using Apple Maps a lot more since I’ve arrived in Paris this month. The public transportation directions are so much better than Google’s. Google maps has me going all over the place and sometimes adding 15 min to my trip. The Apple Maps directions are always much more direct. Only thing I use google maps these days is for street view, other than that AM has become my default.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Just wanted to say that I’ve been using Apple Maps a lot more since I’ve arrived in Paris this month. The public transportation directions are so much better than Google’s. Google maps has me going all over the place and sometimes adding 15 min to my trip. The Apple Maps directions are always much more direct. Only thing I use google maps these days is for street view, other than that AM has become my default.

Apple has apparently purchased some prime information and details about various transit systems, that Google just doesn't have access to. I've played around with Apple Maps in New York City, where subway service is often curtailed by planned maintenance work on weekends. Of the various transit apps I experimented with, only Apple Maps provided the best transit directions during these service changes, even pointing me to the correct station exit to reach a subway replacement shuttle bus.

Google Maps tried to send me 45 minutes out of my way. Even New York City Transit's official directions app wasn't as good as Apple Maps.

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Was in NYC the past couple of days and my only issue (and this applies to ALL maps) is that location services are simply awful.

NYC (or someone) really needs to invest in beacons to help provide positioning that is blocked by the buildings. I know where I’m going, so it doesn’t affect me as much, but the number of people (tourists) I passed on the street just staring at their phones trying to figure out where they were and where they needed to go was mind boggling.

One simply cannot get a decent signal.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Was in NYC the past couple of days and my only issue (and this applies to ALL maps) is that location services are simply awful.

NYC (or someone) really needs to invest in beacons to help provide positioning that is blocked by the buildings. I know where I’m going, so it doesn’t affect me as much, but the number of people (tourists) I passed on the street just staring at their phones trying to figure out where they were and where they needed to go was mind boggling.

Or people can take their heads out of their phones and look at the street signs ;). For most of Manhattan, at least, its one of the easiest places in the world to navigate once you understand the street grid (which is not hard).

But your point is taken. You'd think that with all the registered wifi hot spots, that would be enough to allow triangulation.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Or people can take their heads out of their phones and look at the street signs ;). For most of Manhattan, at least, its one of the easiest places in the world to navigate once you understand the street grid (which is not hard).

But your point is taken. You'd think that with all the registered wifi hot spots, that would be enough to allow triangulation.

I think it is more of a matter of what direction you need to go without walking a block or more just to see you are going the wrong way...hah!

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
BUG TO REPORT:

IMG_0461.PNG
Item Description: When submitting or correcting hours for a business location, you are given the option of selecting the days of the week they are open, as well as hours of operation. However, you are only given one set of operating hours, when most businesses have different weekday and weekend hours.

If this is NOT a bug, and I'm simply to stupid to figure out how to separate hours for specific days, please inform me on how to do it. Thanks!​

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I think it is more of a matter of what direction you need to go without walking a block or more just to see you are going the wrong way...hah!
Oh yeah...we've all been there. I have a pretty good sense of direction so I usually am able to get oriented fairly quickly, Get's a little more difficult when coming out of a large station with twisty turny stairs (Columbus Circle comes to mind).

Bottom line, even if for POIs, there needs to be some sort of "urban GPS" system.

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Oh yeah...we've all been there. I have a pretty good sense of direction so I usually am able to get oriented fairly quickly, Get's a little more difficult when coming out of a large station with twisty turny stairs (Columbus Circle comes to mind).

Bottom line, even if for POIs, there needs to be some sort of "urban GPS" system.

One thing I noticed yesterday when I was downtown (Wall Street/Broadway area), it sucked to get an cab with the Curb app (like Uber). Good thing there was a text feature so I could tell the driver exactly where I was.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
While exploring the country to see if anything had been updated, I found myself in a small town in Arizona, which already has the new maps from a few months ago. I discovered that this town is woefully incomplete. Odd colors in places, a lack of POI icons, and most of the buildings were not 3D-textured, instead being represented only by a flat image on the ground.

That's disconcerting, as I thought the updated maps were complete with new data, right down to the smallest towns. I guess not.
IMG_9454.PNG

baihan8

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Hacienda Heights, CA
While exploring the country to see if anything had been updated, I found myself in a small town in Arizona, which already has the new maps from a few months ago. I discovered that this town is woefully incomplete. Odd colors in places, a lack of POI icons, and most of the buildings were not 3D-textured, instead being represented only by a flat image on the ground.

That's disconcerting, as I thought the updated maps were complete with new data, right down to the smallest towns. I guess not. View attachment 845047
Are you running the beta? Because I'm wondering if it has to do with that. If not, then I'm curious to see if it fills in throughout the year as the new maps expand to more areas... Otherwise you're right -- it is kind of unnerving.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I was ok with them releasing certain areas as proofs of concept, but I hope this is not how they’re going to roll it out in general. My fervent wish is that at the time they introduce iPhone 11, they say “It’s live for the entire US”.

D3PO

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
Australia

That's disconcerting, as I thought the updated maps were complete with new data, right down to the smallest towns. I guess not. View attachment 845047

Most of the smaller towns in New Mexico (which seems to be where you took the screenshot) seem to be missing 3D buildings, the rollout of that state feels very rushed in general compared to the others. I'll be very interested to see how the next batch of states turns out, as well as if they make any changes to New Mexico in the meantime...

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the POI icons were a separate layer that wasn't necessarily getting updated with the new maps?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

It is similar in central London as well, so double-checking your position by street names or POIs marked on the map helps.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Had my first beta issue...and of course, it was with Maps.

Maps suddenly closed on it's own halfway through a quick trip to the grocery store. Opened the app and it continued as if it had never shut down.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Had my first beta issue...and of course, it was with Maps.

Maps suddenly closed on it's own halfway through a quick trip to the grocery store. Opened the app and it continued as if it had never shut down.

I’ve had similar occurrences: the destination gets wiped out mid trip. O buggy, but annoying (and completely beta-like)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.