Updated MacBook Air to Offer Minimum of 128 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today reported to AppleInsider that "industry checks" within Apple's supply chain suggest that the company is boosting the specs on its MacBook Air in the expected refresh to a minimum of 128 GB of solid state storage and 4 GB of RAM. That refresh has been widely rumored for some time, with Apple reportedly holding off until OS X Lion is released to the public to launch the new MacBook Air.
In a communication to AppleInsider on Thursday, Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said his industry checks suggest Apple is no longer placing orders MacBook Airs with 2GB of RAM. Instead, those checks indicate that all new 11.6- and 13.3-inch models will include 4GB of RAM as standard, as it will improve performance of Mac OS X Lion, also due to ship on each model.

Similarly, Kuo cited the same checks in suggesting that Airs with just 64GB solid-state-drives may go away in favor of Apple shipping only 128GB and 256GB models as standard, given that the bulk of Apple's shipments have been for models containing those larger drives.
The current MacBook Air models all carry 2 GB of RAM in their stock configurations, although they can be upgraded to 4 GB for $100 on build-to-order configurations. On the storage side, Apple's entry-level 11.6-inch model offers 64 GB of solid state storage, with users able to step up to 128 GB on the high-end model. The 13.3-inch MacBook Air already offers a minimum of 128 GB with the high-end model sporting 256 GB.

Kuo also indicates that Apple will continue to use a separate board for the solid state drive rather than shifting to new technology soldered directly onto the motherboard. He also suggests that Apple will likely adopt the following Sandy Bridge chips from Intel for the updated MacBook Air models: 1.6 GHz Core i5-2467M, 1.7 GHz Core i7-2637M, and 1.8 GHz Core i7-2677M.

Kuo has proven to have solid connections when it comes to MacBook Air information, as evidenced by his revelation last July that Apple was working on an 11.6-inch model, a machine that appeared alongside a revamped 13.3-inch model in October.

Article Link: Updated MacBook Air to Offer Minimum of 128 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM?

pawelthegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Guelph, ON, Canada
Without the backlit keyboard, the Pro is still the way to go.
However these Airs are great nonetheless.
I hope the price can be shaved off $200 though in the next 5 years once the iPad reached these specs!:D

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
JUST FIND OUT WHEN IT WILL BE RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS UPGRADE FOR 5 MONTHS!!!!!!!! :mad:

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
Every day a new rumor of a feature or release date is posted so they can cover their butt's and say "we predicted right" regardless of what is released and when.

mlayer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
Like it

I'm at a loss as to how Apple can maintain price points with all of the more expensive components on board (Sandy Bridge, higher capacity SSD, Thunderbolt). They must've been making serious margin on the last gen MBA.

AppleUser2

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
For the love of..........just release these things already!

Increased RAM and storage would knock on the head any price reductions/shavings surely?

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Vancouver
Would a 1.8 GHz Core i7-2677M be faster than a 3.0 Core 2 Duo?

Both have 4gb of ram and a SSD.

Can the 1.8 GHz Core i7 be able to do InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator stuff?

gguerini

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I wonder how better/worse these CPU's (i5 and i7) will be compared to the current C2D and MBP i5/i7. Have you guys seem the benchmarks already?

I have a MPB 13' Early 2010 and I'm planing to get a new MBA when they come out. I use Windows 7 on Fusion (I am a .NET developer and I need Visual Studio 2010) and my main concern is the performance of this setup on the MBA. But considering the fast SSD drivers, I can totally use Bootcamp and boot to Mac (or vice-versa) when I need it. When I work, I work.. so I don't need to have both OS's running aside.

Well.. let's see. Excited for the Lion and the new MBA.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
4GB is becoming pretty standard for $400+ laptops I would say but Windows still doesnt know how to maximize it. :apple:
Yeas, Windows is terrible at memory management and this is why all enterprises use it whilts OS/X is used only for Photoshop and e-mail. :D

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
MacRumors conveniently failed to quote this portion of the report:

"It [AppleInsider] however warned on multiple occasions not to expect the new Macs this week, despite continuous unsubstantiated claims published elsewhere on the web that have ultimately proven to be grossly inaccurate and overhyped."

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.