Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
Since I installed the Ventura update 13.1, this weird glitch has been happening.
When I open a folder on my desktop and try to open a file within the folder, I get
a message that says whatever file I'm trying to open "can't be found" If I try again to
open it a 2nd time, it opens fine with no issues. Is anyone else having this issue?
If so, did you find a way to fix it? It's nothing major but is a bit annoying

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
does it only happen with folders on the desktop? and what if you move one of those folders to your Documents folder (for example); does it still happen there?

EDIT: or wondering if this is related to 'launchservices' (and someone else will need to chime in about that...)

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
does it only happen with folders on the desktop? and what if you move one of those folders to your Documents folder (for example); does it still happen there?

EDIT: or wondering if this is related to 'launchservices' (and someone else will need to chime in about that...)
Thanks! I'll try moving the next one into the documents folder to see if that helps. It usually only fails once, after that it has no problem opening the same file. It seems to be happening only on newly created folders & files. Thanks for your help!

BR485

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
The Big Smoke
Since I installed the Ventura update 13.1, this weird glitch has been happening.
When I open a folder on my desktop and try to open a file within the folder, I get
a message that says whatever file I'm trying to open "can't be found" If I try again to
open it a 2nd time, it opens fine with no issues. Is anyone else having this issue?
I upgraded to 13.1 today and have the exact same issue you describe. It happens intermittently when trying to open files that have recently been moved to a different folder/drive, copied to my Mac from my phone/iPad or downloaded from the internet.

My non-expert guess is that there is a snippet of outdated code kicking around in the system that points applications that are trying to open a new or recently moved file to the wrong location, hence the "can't be found" dialogue box, and that the system self-corrects the error on the 2nd attempt to open it.

It seems to be a minor bug that will probably resolve itself after a few reboots or, at worst, get fixed with a system update.

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
I have exactly the same problem since upgrading to 13.1 it happens on external drives HDD and SD card too and I have done repairs on all drives and restarted several times and run Onyx several times it does not help so it is an operating system file error which is very annoying.

Attachments

• Computer.jpg
    Computer.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 110

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
I upgraded to 13.1 today and have the exact same issue you describe. It happens intermittently when trying to open files that have recently been moved to a different folder/drive, copied to my Mac from my phone/iPad or downloaded from the internet.

My non-expert guess is that there is a snippet of outdated code kicking around in the system that points applications that are trying to open a new or recently moved file to the wrong location, hence the "can't be found" dialogue box, and that the system self-corrects the error on the 2nd attempt to open it.

It seems to be a minor bug that will probably resolve itself after a few reboots or, at worst, get fixed with a system update.
I believe the issue I was having has sorted itself. I have not noticed it in the last few days. I did boot into safe mode, reset the SMC & PRAM and also reindexed spotlight. I'm not sure if any of this helped or if it just repaired itself on its own but things have been running smooth since I posted the original message

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
No improvements here the file cannot be found randomly same on SD card/HDD Internal/External need
refresh then the file is found again and files that are in the trash bin cannot be deleted until you
eject external SD card/HDD as said before this came with 13.1
Intel Imac Retina 4K 21.5 2019
:oops:
You shouldn't have to delete and reinstall the entire operating system if it helps ?

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
odd. tonight, am experiencing this for the first time. working on a folder of files, and every first attempt to open one gives me the error.

nothing's changed, i simply woke my mac from several hours previously. anyway, reported it.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 8.43.27 PM.png

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Same problem here. Unpacked a zip file to a folder and sometimes it triggers this message opening a PDF file.

Your signature states that you are on 13.0. Is that right? I assume the bug is only on 13.1.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
so far, this has happened to me once, with one folder (on my intel imac). anyway, just updated to 13.2 RC, will see if it re-occurs (and will be interesting to see what others report here)...

ribtin

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Having the exact same issue on Ventura 13.1

First time opening any file always gives the "file can't be found" error. But opening it again works just fine.

Not a huge deal, but annoying as f... when working with several files that always have to be opened twice.

Viking1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
I had the same problem with Ventura 13.1, and unfortunately it's persisted after upgrading to 13.2.

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
My iMac has these specifications, could it be the firmware? which machines do you have and firmware?
just a thought.

Modellnamn: iMac

Modellidentifierare: iMac19,2

Processornamn: Quad-Core Intel Core i3

Processorhastighet: 3,6 GHz

Antal processorer: 1

Totalt antal kärnor: 4

L2-cache (per kärna): 256 K

L3-cache: 6 MB

Minne: 8 GB

Firmware version: 1916.60.2.0.0

OS-inläsarversion: 564.40.4~66

SMC-version (system): 2.47f3

Viking1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
My specs...running 13.2

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac18,3

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 24 GB

System Firmware Version: 499.40.2.0.0

OS Loader Version: 564.40.4~66

SMC Version (system): 2.41f2

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Sad to learn that the problem persists in 13.2.

Have you guys contacted Apple?

Viking1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
Sad to learn that the problem persists in 13.2.

Have you guys contacted Apple?
For me, not yet-I just upgraded to 13.2 a few days ago, and experienced the "file not found" error the next day. I'll do it. Really disappointing, was hoping it would be cleared up.

ribtin

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
My specs:

Running Ventura 13.1

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2,4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 1916.60.2.0.0 (iBridge: 20.16.2059.0.0,0)
OS Loader Version: 564.40.4~55

babs_colorado

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Greetings.

I spent 4 hours with Apple support the past few days, and while I don't know if this is the right answer for all, it has to do with the login items for apps that maybe have been deleted but are still lingering on the system, particularly within LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. I learned that with Ventura, the login setup pages shows all apps that are firing up at startup. One can then slide on or off. With previous OS versions, its not so clear cut. I'll see if I can located the website again but...

Steps would be as follows.

1. Go to Finder
2. Go to "Go" in the menu
3. Drop down to "Go to folder" near the bottom.

4. Type in Launch. You should then see the two items LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Look to see if you have old apps that you've deleted but still have remnants here. Consider deleting them.

5. I was then told to do the same thing again, but this time hold the option key, hit go again, drop down to "go to folder" and do the same search. Repeat. You can look at the source, and of course, don't delete anything that is an apple function. Otherwise you can blow things up within your system. You could just skip this system option and stick with #4 to see how it goes.

I probably had 20 apps still trying to run at startup. We deleted one at a time, rebooted, and kept doing it but eventually the "the file can't be found" disappeared.

What's strange, and I guess it's why Apple redesigned Ventura, is that the user would have no idea that these things are still hanging around. Nothing nefarious (though the screen viewing apps were the worst offenders), but still sketchy that they could have been used for bad things.

Good luck.

Reactions: osplo

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Greetings.

I spent 4 hours with Apple support the past few days, and while I don't know if this is the right answer for all, it has to do with the login items for apps that maybe have been deleted but are still lingering on the system, particularly within LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. I learned that with Ventura, the login setup pages shows all apps that are firing up at startup. One can then slide on or off. With previous OS versions, its not so clear cut. I'll see if I can located the website again but...

Steps would be as follows.

1. Go to Finder
2. Go to "Go" in the menu
3. Drop down to "Go to folder" near the bottom.

4. Type in Launch. You should then see the two items LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Look to see if you have old apps that you've deleted but still have remnants here. Consider deleting them.

5. I was then told to do the same thing again, but this time hold the option key, hit go again, drop down to "go to folder" and do the same search. Repeat. You can look at the source, and of course, don't delete anything that is an apple function. Otherwise you can blow things up within your system. You could just skip this system option and stick with #4 to see how it goes.

I probably had 20 apps still trying to run at startup. We deleted one at a time, rebooted, and kept doing it but eventually the "the file can't be found" disappeared.

What's strange, and I guess it's why Apple redesigned Ventura, is that the user would have no idea that these things are still hanging around. Nothing nefarious (though the screen viewing apps were the worst offenders), but still sketchy that they could have been used for bad things.

Good luck.

Excellent. This looks like mystery solved and problem fixed. Thanks mate!

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
Onyx V 4_3_5.jpg
I checked those folders and found nothing but I ran the latest of Onyx 4.3.5 a couple of days ago with the settings as seen in the picture and haven't seen any of the file issues yet.
Very important to make a backup before running Onyx it cleans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.